Blue Devils on top...really?

So what is it that drives peeps crazy about what the Blue Devils are doing?

In general, there are 2 philosophies at odds with each other. I think...

Team A - These peeps are more drill conscious with the emphasis being on what THEY have been taught, experienced, and genuinely believe as demand/content. High velocity whiplash drill. Forms. Playing while executing this physically demanding drill. It might be dirtier but the overall effect is worth sacrificing a little clarity. A little clarity. These peeps are going to call BS on the drill BD does. They do NOT consider what BD is doing to be demanding. Read the thread - they say it plenty of times. Why do they do this? Because, TO THEM, it isn't demanding. They laugh loudly when peeps say BD could march a show like Crowns 2012 show. Is it true? Maybe. Maybe not. We may never know.

Team B - These peeps tout the more intellectual aspect of BD programing. That's what THEY have been taught, experienced, and genuinely believe. They focus on the individual performer. The demands placed on them. They proclaim that the music and drill being clean is a result of superior programing. Layering. Excellent execution. They state that they could march a high velocity drill but their show is so superior in programming that they don't need to. Why fly around the field when it isn't needed. The sheets don't say it is.

Who's right?

Trick question... there's no right answer - just preference.

Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. :starwars:

• Like 5

So what is it that drives peeps crazy about what the Blue Devils are doing?

In general, there are 2 philosophies at odds with each other. I think...

Team A - These peeps are more drill conscious with the emphasis being on what THEY have been taught, experienced, and genuinely believe as demand/content. High velocity whiplash drill. Forms. Playing while executing this physically demanding drill. It might be dirtier but the overall effect is worth sacrificing a little clarity. A little clarity. These peeps are going to call BS on the drill BD does. They do NOT consider what BD is doing to be demanding. Read the thread - they say it plenty of times. Why do they do this? Because, TO THEM, it isn't demanding. They laugh loudly when peeps say BD could march a show like Crowns 2012 show. Is it true? Maybe. Maybe not. We may never know.

Team B - These peeps tout the more intellectual aspect of BD programing. That's what THEY have been taught, experienced, and genuinely believe. They focus on the individual performer. The demands placed on them. They proclaim that the music and drill being clean is a result of superior programing. Layering. Excellent execution. They state that they could march a high velocity drill but their show is so superior in programming that they don't need to. Why fly around the field when it isn't needed. The sheets don't say it is.

Who's right?

Trick question... there's no right answer - just preference.

Agreed. Personal preference. However, the original post said this:

In my opinion, it was by far the least audience engaging show of the night. They went on first, and I liked all the shows that followed better. And the the judges put them in first by a comfortable margin? I understand they are an extremely talented group of kids, but aren't the new scoring sheets supposed to reward entertaining and engaging the audience?

Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. :starwars:

The question he is asking is how are the judges putting BD in a solid first if the new system is supposed to reward "Audience Engagement"?

Edited by fatbrassboy

With that kind of statement, it tells me two things; you are young, and you don't know what drum corps is really about from a historical perspective.

You're quite wrong. Got involved with DC back in 76'. That's 36 years of experience talking. Even when there were some 'cerebral' moments in DC, it was still done with something the crowd could get into. Something they could grab on to and love. I'm not saying everything about the BD show is undesireable. I'm tired of them doing these shows though, that I will say. And if you're as 'old school' as you imply, then you aren't a traditionalist in the sense that you accept everything new about the activity. I've talked with a lot of older DC fans and I'd say the majority of them don't care for the direction the activity is taking. Maybe you enjoy all the talking over the show nonsense. I don't. Some SOME of the electronics are done tastefully. Too many aren't. The BD I see now has zero connection to the old school BD I loved and that drew me to this activity and that's a darned shame. Personally, I'd like to see the show designer hit the road and take his crowd displeasing esoteric 'artsy' crap with. Play jazz, that's what you do best! Just as was mentioned what Madison did, they're still doing....what PHANTOM did, they're still doing. Who knows WTH BD is doing, it sure as hell ain't what they USED to do!!!

• Like 1

The question he is asking is how are the judges putting BD in a solid first if the new system is supposed to reward "Audience Engagement"?

He's asking because he's in the Team A camp. Yes?

oh screw it.....GO BD!

• Like 3

He's asking because he's in the Team A camp. Yes?

Honestly, I think that the original post truly wanted to know

Honestly, I think that the original post truly wanted to know

AND, I think it is a legitimate question

I get the feeling everyone wants BD to be 88 Suncoast Sound. A bit more balanced yet still cerebral, thought provoking and demanding as they already are. This was a controversial show back then .. but enjoyed by most. It was dirty as sin, but a great show nonetheless.

Maybe it's just me thinking that. If BD's talent did a show like 88 Suncoast .. they would still win. I think in the end, it would make the fans who want a more conventional drill design a bit more happy. Not that Suncoasts drill that year was conventional for the time .. but it's accepted now.

What happens 20 years from now when '12 BD's design is considered conventional? What will fans be asking for then?

Times change, conventional wisdom changes, design changes, what's considered demand changes .... it's nice to have what we know ... with a splash of what we don't get to challenge us. What most are complaining about is that they don't get it at all .. they're being challenged TOO MUCH. It's more a statement about themselves than the corps.

Go back and watch the feed several times. Watch them move .. listen to them play ... take a deeper look. Change your mindset to being in the 10th row .. or the upper deck .. or in the box with each read. This is the first time most of us have seen BD's show ... and they heard what they didn't want to hear .. saw what they didn't want to see .. and way too much of it. With that .. they've written it off as more DCI BS. C'mon people .. challenge yourselves a little bit.

Edited by supersop