2012 Videos

can you tell specifically what got them say the brass score from the video?

Other than the Cleanness of the cut off and releases?

The difficulty of the book?

The staging of the brass at critical times?

Balance and blend? No one sticking out of the ensembles?

No Can't think of a thing. :)

Other than the Cleanness of the cut off and releases?

The difficulty of the book?

The staging of the brass at critical times?

Balance and blend? No one sticking out of the ensembles?

No Can't think of a thing. :)

I am calling BS on this whole argument. You cannot *accurately* see and hear any of those above criteria based on the video involved. Even when you get a blue-ray, you can't get the full live experience. Maybe when we can all have holodecks in our homes, that will change.

Also, unless the conditions are the same for evaluation, i.e. the same camera at the same position for all corps, you can't even effectively draw an accurate comparison. You may indeed be able to draw some generalizations, but that's as far as you will ever get.

• Like 1

I think that you can make a pretty good judgement with a video... visually. If you have a stationary high cam you can tell who is clean and who isnt. As far as sound... you can say "oh that was cool" but to get the full assessment on attacks, releases, balance, blend, etc... it cant be done as well as in person.

• Like 1

This is a most interesting discussion. While both sides can make a strong case, there are advantages inherent to video that allow one to RANK an evening performance with high accuracy. Obviously, a LIVE viewing/hearing is a one shot opportunity. With video, one can view a corps multiple times the same evening, use freeze frame, slow motion, zoom, and increase the volume over several playings to allow one's ears to pick-up things not possible live.

To me, unless two corps have regularly received mostly equal final scores, it's easy to rank them solely on video of that event. So far, the Bucs have been noticeably stronger and more accurate than anyone else. This, I believe, would be the conclusion of any video-only viewer, even with just one viewing. But, that's for that evening only.

None of this applies to what will eventually happen at championships, of course. However, performances usually improve throughout the season for everyone, but in roughly the same amount. As of this date, the quality of the Bucs' program is decidedly superior to any other corps. The gap seems too large to overcome this year, if ONLY based on audio/video evidence.

I expect the Bucs to win in Annapolis. Cabs a strong second.

• Like 2

http://dci.thefannetwork.org/?vod_id=c77e55d8-de9e-4d77-b6b8-3130064c26bb&mode=viral

Atlanta CV getting some video love from the DCI Fan Network. Obvious audio problems since the corps was the "sound check" for the whole DCI SE Regional, but all in all a good look at the show.

Edited by TwoValves
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Much cleaner. And we'll be much, much more polished in MD. Thanks for your support!

... wrong thread.

Edited by Kyle B