Master Chef + Drum Corps?

I'd like to see a DCI corps kitchen truck food competition either at one of the regionals or at Finals week. Give each corps crew a time limit, their resources and have them create a meal that would be served to their corps, with judges and tasters. Make it a formal award - give it out at Semis or Finals.

Mike

• Like 2

The Blue Knights tour chef this season IS a masterchef. Go on the Blue Knight's facebook page and check out all of those pictures of the wonderful meals they are eating. Yuuummmm!

Doug is also a former marching member of the Bluecoats, I know because I marched with him.

• Like 1

It would be neat if DCI could work with a show like Master Chefs or Top Chef on a challenge like this. Could bring more attention to the activity for sure!

....And why stop there! Project Runway contestants could have a colorguard uniform competition. Tim Gunn and Heidi Klum juding this could be fun. Wonder what they would say about Blue Knights unis this year :ohmy:

• Like 1

I know for a fact that the People who serve 150+ meals 4 times a day for weeks on end work very very hard. The corps menu planner I work with has been doing it for a few years and I am amazed at how well she does with the budget. The cost per member per meal is remarkable. I am sure all the corps work very hard to make sure the kids are well fed and eat healthy. I know our corps does. Hats off to the cooks.

It would be great to see a show like dinner impossible come out and do a meal with the materials on hand. That would be fun to watch.

I'd like to see a DCI corps kitchen truck food competition either at one of the regionals or at Finals week. Give each corps crew a time limit, their resources and have them create a meal that would be served to their corps, with judges and tasters. Make it a formal award - give it out at Semis or Finals.

Mike

There was a competition like that back in the 1980s when the World Championships was in Madison. It involved a chili cook-off with the public voting on which crew made the best chili. Velvet Knights' cook crew won and the really cool thing came next; the corps had the crew march—with spatulas and cooking spoons—in front of the corps in the evening parade of all the corps around the capital square.

...hear here, Mike! As many tours as I've been on, pretty much all emanating from SoCal, I've never ceased to marvel at the food people and how much real, actual and hard WORK they do. Running a tour or simply being on instructional staff is much less demanding in comparison (of course, if you're doing any of those things AND driving, well...that's in the conversation...heh). If you're a kid on tour right now and read this, get your section to genuflect to these people *regularly,* they are truly special.

Charlie Groh

If the instructional staff and the cooking staff both went on strike at the same time, I have no doubt who the members would miss first.

I know for a fact that the People who serve 150+ meals 4 times a day for weeks on end work very very hard. The corps menu planner I work with has been doing it for a few years and I am amazed at how well she does with the budget. The cost per member per meal is remarkable. I am sure all the corps work very hard to make sure the kids are well fed and eat healthy. I know our corps does. Hats off to the cooks.

It would be great to see a show like dinner impossible come out and do a meal with the materials on hand. That would be fun to watch.

I think the competition should include a day of meals prepared with just two roaster ovens, a couple of rice cookers and a moody gas grill. No food truck. That was my introduction to preparing 4 meals a day for around a 100 kids/staff/drivers/volunteers!

That said, I would thoroughly enjoy watching chefs cooking in the drum corps world. Very fun!

Edited by ForteParent

Mike

Awesome idea! Hey Boo.....use your powers and influence to make this happen. Invite the food network to film it or Dinner Impossible. Maybe let the DM for INT hand out the award.

But seriously, this a great idea!!!

When i was in corps we did'nt have a big semi for a kitchen. We just had a little truck. We were fed very well. When i walk by these food trucks now and see the menu for the day. It's like WOW! these corps have like gourmet meals. Kudos to all the volunters.