2012 Teal Sound "Letter of Explanation"

I truly hope the corps that so graciusly took kids in researched if their new members paid rather than didnt

How does one find out other than contacting Teals adminstration?

How does one find out other than contacting Teals adminstration?

wow thought this was a dead thread..lol.....but shouldnt be I guess in general anyway...yes they would have to contact Teal or if Teal was done so wrong by many members a list of names should have gone out to the corps maybe...its a big problem unfortunately

wow thought this was a dead thread..lol.....but shouldnt be I guess in general anyway...yes they would have to contact Teal or if Teal was done so wrong by many members a list of names should have gone out to the corps maybe...its a big problem unfortunately

Mama woke it up and I noticed your post... (I probably woke up too :tongue: ).

Didn't know if there was anyway other than contacting Teal. LOL I'll admot when I don't know stuff.

Mama woke it up and I noticed your post... (I probably woke up too :tongue: ).

Didn't know if there was anyway other than contacting Teal. LOL I'll admot when I don't know stuff.

well maybe with more awareness and If some kids know its a topic that they cant get away from or with some of this will stop...also might stop some corps from taking talent over responsibility

Proposed Regions

DCI East

Cadets

7th Regiment

Boston Crusaders

Targets

Raiders

Spartans

Spirit of Newark

Jersey Surf

Les Stentors

DCI Midwest

Madison Scouts

Phantom Regiment

Cavaliers

Blue Stars

Bluecoats

Glassmen

Colts

Colt Cadets

Racine Scouts

Legends

Blue Saints

Minnesota Brass (DCA)

Racine Kilties (DCA)

Chops Inc. (DCA)

Govenaires (DCA)

DCI South

Spirit

Carolina Crown

Crossmen

Teal Sound

Genesis

Music City

Revolution

Forte

Atlanta Corpsvets (DCA)

Music City Legend (DCA)

Alliance (DCA)

Cincinnati Tradition (DCA)

DCI West

Troopers

The Academy

Blue Knights

Seattle Cascades

Oregon Crusaders

Spokane Thunder

DCI California

Santa Clara Vanguard

Blue Devils

Mandarins

Pacific Crest

City Sound

Gold

VK

Impulse

Blue Devils B

Blue Devils C

Vanguard Cadets

Renegades (DCA)

So Cal Dream (DCA)

*Denotes All-Age affiliate corps

I would move the Ohio corps to the east, for the sake of balance. But you could take those regions, have them do a regional tour, and then send the top 4 or 5 from each region to Indiana.

Unfortunately, members not paying was a huge problem. While I won't go into a lot of specifics, there were a good number of members that were looking to join other corps that:

1) Didn't pay Teal Sound to begin with

2) Had no intention of paying any amount to the second corps

From what I am aware of, the administration of Teal Sound hasn't gone into hiding by any means. They've responded to inquiries as needed. At the same time, I'm pretty sure that they aren't going to spend a lot of time appeasing all of the complaints/inquiries/whining that has arisen from the parents of members that are guilty of #1 above.

I have mixed feelings if kids who didn't pay dues to Teal ended up marching in other corps. I feel this would be a slap in the face to the people who made specific donations to corps on their behalf. This would also be teaching those kids poor life lessons.

Hopefully, this lesson can teach all corps, including top-tier level corps, to not take non-paying members from previous corps. Too bad there isn't some sort of membership data bank set up for all corps to access.

Unfortunately, members not paying was a huge problem. While I won't go into a lot of specifics, there were a good number of members that were looking to join other corps that:

1) Didn't pay Teal Sound to begin with

2) Had no intention of paying any amount to the second corps

From what I am aware of, the administration of Teal Sound hasn't gone into hiding by any means. They've responded to inquiries as needed. At the same time, I'm pretty sure that they aren't going to spend a lot of time appeasing all of the complaints/inquiries/whining that has arisen from the parents of members that are guilty of #1 above.

its awful and many winter programs....very good ones have gone under for the same reasons,...seems to be a huge problem all over, Florida for some reason ..very bad .....but it needs to stop...you cant play and not pay..I for one, when kids come to me to march where I have been , thats the 1st thing I ask including do you owe your school programs anything.. I will not take them OR I get their bill paid and add it onto their new dues ( not a good idea though..lol )

Maybe DCI should require corps to certify that their members are eligible to march before they start a tour. To be eligible, you would have to have paid your dues or had your dues reduced or waived by the corps. It seems like that would give the corps more leverage to require dues by a certain deadline, and would prevent those who haven't paid their dues from being picked up by other corps. If a member isn't certified as eligible before the season, they cannot transfer to another corps, even if they do pay dues to the transferee corps mid-season. If a member owes a corps money, the corps could file a notice with DCI that would prevent a certification of eligibility until the dues are paid. This seems like an easy solution that would benefit everyone, and wouldn't take that much more work. It would simply mean adding a list of eligible players into a database. If a corps certifies a member as eligible when they haven't paid their dues, then only the corps is to blame, and the corps waives their right to use the DCI eligibility system to seek payment from the member in the future.

I really don't think there are many reasons to waive fees for members. As others have said, if parents can't afford it, there are plenty of ways for members to earn their own fees. My parents never paid for anything like this when I was growing up. I always paid my own way for anything I participated in. I realize some parents want to pay for their children, and I have not problem with that ... but for those that don't have parents that can pay the fee (because they are too poor), there are plenty of ways for the members to earn the money themselves.

Edited by jasgre2000

The empathy on this list concerning the unfortunate travails this unit is experiencing is understandable given its visibility within the few competitive units remaining today. Forty years ago, with perhaps 500 corps in North America at the time, the troubles of one corps would have hardly raised an eyebrow amongst all the others, one negative characteristic of the Golden Age.

• Like 1