Inconsistency

Probably more of the corps performances. Everyone has off nights, or new material that isn't clean. The judging is not the most consistent thing in the world, but if a corps has an off-night, then the judges should call them on it.

It is a mixture of the two, but when you really get down to it, I would say the corps is more inconsistent at this point. Lots of changes are going in shows, and it takes some time before they get solid. by Atlanta or Allentown, things will be much more consistent on both sides.

• Like 1

1. Drum corps performance--and judging--in July is a work in progress. A human endeavor that is by definition imperfect.

2. We have a new judging system this year, and some judges are still seeing some corps for the first time.

3. Drum corps is an artform not an accounting ledger. If you can't accept some inconsistency, take up something much less creative.

Edited by Peel Paint
  • Like 3

1. Drum corps performance--and judging--in July is a work in progress. A human endeavor that is by definition imperfect.

2. We have a new judging system this year, and some judges are still seeing some corps for the first time.

3. Drum corps is an artform not an accounting ledger. If you can't accept some inconsistency, take up something much less creative.

Both, but clearly judging has taken a serious knock in integrity. Contrary to misinformed belief, even subjective assessment is repeatable, statistically consistent, and measurable, especially across different variables (re: different panels). These judges are not. If you accept inconsistency, you enable poor performance. Poor performance from panels yields the corps' inability to gather the correct information to clean and perfect, yielding greater inconsistency.

Edited by 13strokeroll
  • Like 2

I think the corps are all at different levels of changes, cleaning etc so some corps have scores that stagnate for a week until new changes evaluated, cleaned and assimilated into show. Definitely a work in progress but that's why corps rankings shift a bit mid season..

The corps and the judges are as consistant as they are every season. It is "so called" fans on DCP that are inconsistant and waining in credibility!

• Like 4

Both, but clearly judging has taken a serious knock in integrity. Contrary to misinformed belief, even subjective assessment is repeatable, statistically consistent, and measurable, especially across different variables (re: different panels). These judges are not. If you accept inconsistency, you enable poor performance. Poor performance from panels yields the corps' inability to gather the correct information to clean and perfect, yielding greater inconsistency.

What? For as complex and nuanced as a drum corps show is, DCI judging is mind-bogglingly consistent. Whenever I go to a show, I always impress my friends by being able to predict each score to usually within a point... before the corps even perform, just based on previous scores. They always think it's some kind of conspiracy. I don't think any other judged art for this complex gets scored this consistently. Its closest neighbor, marching band, certainly doesn't

• Like 3

What? For as complex and nuanced as a drum corps show is, DCI judging is mind-bogglingly consistent. Whenever I go to a show, I always impress my friends by being able to predict each score to usually within a point... before the corps even perform, just based on previous scores. They always think it's some kind of conspiracy. I don't think any other judged art for this complex gets scored this consistently. Its closest neighbor, marching band, certainly doesn't

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't recall using the phrase "conspiracy." And far more complex assessments of far more complex endeavors have been proven to be far more repeatable and reliable. There is a symbiotic relationship between judging and performance, one influences the other, and both suffer when one's flaws are accepted. More important than numbers are placements and inter-relations; and I am very disappointed in this year's results. Variation is "smoothed" over time to yield predictable results, and the failure of this year to do so indicates a serious flaw, which over other endeavors with subjective assessment have time and again proven to be a failure of the measuring system itself.