Does anyone know why not all corps allow their members to participate in I&E? I know rehearsal time is important.

Does anyone know why not all corps allow their members to participate in I&E? I know rehearsal time is important.

Logistics and rehearsal time. When it was Quarterfinals day, most corps didn't want to lose members for hours. Now that it's in San Antonio, it's just a matter of making sure they can get there and back with their horns/drums and uniforms, which is probably difficult.

Why?

Whether true or not, I interpreted DCI's inclusion of woodwinds in I&E events as a push towards getting people to accept woodwinds on the field. Whether true or not, I interpret small participation in I&E woodwind events as a referendum on DCI incorporating woodwinds in the future.

• Like 1

Whether true or not, I interpreted DCI's inclusion of woodwinds in I&E events as a push towards getting people to accept woodwinds on the field. Whether true or not, I interpret small participation in I&E woodwind events as a referendum on DCI incorporating woodwinds in the future.

Wow. Or maybe it's just to give members like my daughter (an oboe major in college) a chance to play their primary instrument. (She didn't this year for obvious reasons- but she won last year). Not everything is an evil plot. Geez.

• Like 3

Wow. Or maybe it's just to give members like my daughter (an oboe major in college) a chance to play their primary instrument.

Why? I'm not trying to be mean. Honestly, why? If you commit to marching corps, your focus should be on the corps. Any practice time you have should be used on the instrument you're marching that summer. It is, after all, the DCI I&E Competition. Trumpet, tuba, snare, flag... even singing are all part of DCI. Woodwinds are not.

If the purpose of DCI is to only bolster the skills of music majors, stop marching, allow all instruments, and spend all summer performing amazing sit-down concerts. If the objective of DCI is to provide a specialized, unique experience... leave it as is.

But your daughter is following in good footsteps (if I'm remembering all of this correctly): Diane Wyant was/is an oboe player, marched soprano with the Blue Devils, yet went on to become an oboist in a symphony orchestra, an outstanding band director, AND an outstanding DCI judge.

• Like 3