The History of DADA

Are you a DADAIST?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Please read the entire post and answer the question .. are you a Dadaist?

2. 2. Do you think BD is protesting something with this years show?

3. 3. Is BD just doing a show based on DADA and not trying to send a message?

This helps to explain what I saw in SA! Thanks very much for this description! Now I can see why some are relating this show concept to the whole hipster thing. Definitely some similarities from my view. I like this show better than the chairs, mirrors, and houses, but I sort of wish I didn't have to think so hard!!! Lol!

In posing the poll questions ... I'll tell you how I voted and why.

Am I a Dadaist? Undecided. In some aspects of my life .. I very much am. With art, music or music arranging .. I push the limits quite often.

Do I think BD is protesting something this year? YES. I think they are protesting conventional wisdom with regards to "what is drum corps". That's about as far as I would go with that. They follow the rules ... they are still sticklers for execution ... they aren't trying to play pianissimo for the entire show or anything extreme like that. I do think they protest their critics in the community. This show definitely jabs a group of fans with a big stick repeatedly. Which I think answers question number 3.

Is Bd doing a dada based show and not trying to send a message. MAYBE. Maybe they are .. maybe they aren't. I think both depending on who you are sitting in the stands .. they obviously aren't having problems with those sitting in the pressbox .. which is good. I'm glad they're getting rewarded for this show. It's good stuff and growing on me more and more with each passing week.

Well, to be honest, it looks like two definitions that come from two different "sources". One by the DaDa artists themselves, and one by art historians. Those two groups tend to disagree a bit on occasion :)

Exactly. How else would the historians put it into perspective....a movement

And there you have it .. please feel free to discuss your thoughts on what BD is trying to say or not say.

Discuss.

Dadaism fell out of favor just about time that these Dada anarchists that were predominently in their 20's and early 30's and who decided to wander up to posh and tony Zurich Switzerland in the beautiful Alps could no longer pay their rent there, and some of their rich parents decided that their offsprings playtime was just about up on Momma and "Dada's "dime. Few folks in Zurich bought their plaything creations. So when they ran out of money to pay their bills, the gig was up and they had to grow up and move out. And that was the end of that. But while it lasted they had a good time in the Alps making noise, making worthless junk, and making nonsense and mischief before a lot of 'em finally ran out of money, and the Club Voltaire had the bank close it down because it couldn't pay its bills. Nothing new under the sun here, as we've seen navel gazers like this before who don't have a real job and who ultimately wind up broke.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

I'm not sure that the Blue Devil's show fits into what I've read about Dada.

"Dada had only one rule: Never follow any known rules."

BD is playing to the sheets. They do it well. Each portion of the corps performs with excellent technique. They're following established rules and norms.

Not so Dada...

To me, it's more of the same from them. I happen to like this year's show, but I can still criticize it... Perhaps that Dada of me? tongue.gif

• Like 6

Dadaism fell out of favor just about time that these Dada anarchists that were predominently in their 20's and early 30's and who decided to wander up to posh and tony Zurich Switzerland in the beautiful Alps could no longer pay their rent there, and some of their rich parents decided that their offsprings playtime was just about up on Momma and "Dada's "dime. Few folks in Zurich bought their plaything creations. So when they ran out of money to pay their bills, the gig was up and they had to grow up and move out. And that was the end of that. But while it lasted they had a good time in the Alps making noise, making worthless junk, and making nonsense and mischief before a lot of 'em finally ran out of money, and the Club Voltaire had the bank close it down because it couldn't pay its bills. Nothing new under the sun here, as we've seen navel gazers like this before who don't have a real job and who ultimately wind up broke.

I don't know enough about it one way or the other. I just found this interesting article on arthistory.about.com titled: Dada - Art History 101 Basics

The Non-art Movement (1916-23)

I copied the article word for word. Anything beyond that is beyond my knowledge at this point. As I asked another poster .. do you have source material that I could reference so I can learn more?

• Like 1

If you read the entire post .. you would see that those are not my words.

This is a poking fun type tribute to Kamarag :tongue: as well as a serious statement: Then your source is literately, or even literally, Illogical. So, IMO, it is poor source material for your position.

Edited by Stu

Although, I can't imagine a parent shelling out cash to support their grown childs "bad behavior" for 7 years before yanking the silver spoon. They obviously had some success considering the offshoots of their "NON"movement.

This is a poking fun type tribute to Kamarag :tongue: as well as a serious statement: Then your source is literately, or even literally, Illogical. So, IMO, it is poor source material for your position.

click the link ... there are even some examples of their non-art