Okay boys and girls...

I, for one, am SO GLAD that I don't see the same thing over and over again when I go to drum corps shows. I love how different everyone is- the different styles I see, and what they bring to the table.

And of course, noone on DCP to my knowledge has ever called for all the Corps to look and sound the same. We've never, ever had a period in DCI (or DCA) history where all the Corps looked or sounded the same. So your fears are unfounded and you can relax, imo. We are still going to see variety of styles, and shows moving forward, the same way we have had a variety of styles and shows among the Corps for the last 40 years. ( I might posit that there was actually MORE variety in stylistic approaches among ( for one example ) the Corps of the 70's than with that of today's Corps, but I see no need go there with THAT here now. )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

And of course, noone on DCP to my knowledge has ever called for all the Corps to look and sound the same. We've never, ever had a period in DCI (or DCA) history where all the Corps looked or sounded the same. So your fears are totally unfounded on this, and so you can relax, imo. We are still going to see variety of styles, and shows moving forward, the same way we have had a variety of styles and shows among the Corps for the last 40 years.

Actually - as many corps chase the magic formula to max out the sheets - a lot of the variety is being lost. You start to see the same design elements in all the shows as the designers tick the boxes....

And of course, noone on DCP to my knowledge has ever called for all the Corps to look and sound the same. We've never, ever had a period in DCI (or DCA) history where all the Corps looked or sounded the same. So your fears are unfounded and you can relax, imo. We are still going to see variety of styles, and shows moving forward, the same way we have had a variety of styles and shows among the Corps for the last 40 years. ( I might posit that there was MORE variety in styles among the Corps of the 70's than that of today's Corps, but I see no need go there with THAT here now. )

I don't understand where there was any fear expressed here. Is it because I'm a BD parent that folks might think that I'm projecting something here? Because I'm not. All I said was that I'm happy that we see different stuff from diff corps at shows. That's all. I promise!!! I really am happy about that! Pinky swear!

• Like 5

I don't understand where there was any fear expressed here. Is it because I'm a BD parent that folks might think that I'm projecting something here? Because I'm not. All I said was that I'm happy that we see different stuff from diff corps at shows. That's all. I promise!!! I really am happy about that! Pinky swear!

I agree and understand what you were trying to say, don't know why a happy comment causes so much negativity.

• Like 3

I agree and understand what you were trying to say, don't know why a happy comment causes so much negativity.

*shrug* this is a message board. It is so very hard to interpret someone's intent when they post. I understand that.

• Like 3

No, I never even factored into my response that you were " a BD parent ". My response would have been the same to you ( honestly ) no matter what Corps you were afiliated with, or even if you were not afiliated with any Corps at all.

All I'm pointing out is that noone is calling for all the Corps to look and sound the same...... and also, that people either like a show or they don't. Although I do acknowledge that some people are envious of the BD's competitive sucess and so for them it doesn't matter what they put on the field. If it wins, they don't like the show.. period. But thats a decided minority in my view. Most either like a show or they don't. Pretty simple stuff, really, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

No, I never even factored into my response that you were " a BD parent ". My response would have been the same to you ( honestly ) no matter what Corps you were afiliated with, or even if you were not afiliated with any Corps at all.

All I'm pointing out is that noone is calling for all the Corps to look and sound the same. No more. No less. People either like a show or they don't. Although I do acknowledge that some people are envious of the BD's competitive sucess and so for them it doesn't matter what they put on the field. If it wins. They don't like the show. Period. But thats a decided minority in my view. Most either like a show or they don't. Pretty simple stuff, really, imo.

Right. But I never, ever said that anyone was calling for the corps to look and sound the same or that I was afraid of that. I expressed my opinion that I'm happy that they don't and that's all I said. Ever.

Sorry Chuck for hijacking your thread.

• Like 1

I'm happy that we see different stuff from diff corps at shows.

Mom's are always right, and I always defer to them. So no quarrel from me !

Edited by BRASSO

Wow...

Analagous to me saying that since you're new to drum corps you don't know what you're talking about.

Not a good opening line....

It was a great opening line.

As one without a long history in drum corps he watches the shows of today without filtering them through shows of the past.

He isn't watching BD of 2012 and wishing they were like the BD of 1976 that he saw "back then"...he just watches and reacts to BD 2012 for what they are performing.

Makes sense to me.

• Like 3