Okay boys and girls...

tell me why.

I see what you're trying to say . . .that many of us are so involved in the ins and outs of the idiom that perhaps we've taken some of the niceties of drum corps for granted.

However, I think you'll see that the majority of posters can enjoy things both viscerally and intellectually, and, yes, while there can be the occasional time that we go too far down the rabbit hole (insert 2006 Cadets joke here :tongue: ), we're all still able to be blown away by what we see on the field . . .that's why we all keep coming back and arguing about it every year! :smile:

I started it because I was excited at the Blue Devils' performance in San Antonio.

I started a new thread because the message was lost, regardless of the purpose of the title of that other thread.

I stopped the time line, stepped out, editorialized, and then restarted the continuum.

Sometimes "clarification" requires a new heading.

:tongue:

So this is sorta like the Star Trek reboot? Or Back to the Future Part II? Should we be worried about you accidentally meeting yourself and destroying the fabric of space-time?

• Like 1

Chuck- once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm thanking you not so much because you shared positive feedback for my kid's corps, but because you really do illustrate a point that is very important to remember here- and that it is that this is a subjective activity that, no matter hard we try, is simply impossible to objectify.

I, for one, am SO GLAD that I don't see the same thing over and over again when I go to drum corps shows. I love how different everyone is- the different styles I see, and what they bring to the table. I would love it more if other people would see it that way, but then I guess that too would defeat the purpose of a subjective art.

Dada was meant to expose conflict. BD? Mission Accomplished. Well done.

• Like 1

Wait, I'm just a little bit confused. In regard to a previous post, if the Blue Devils are supposed to be the second coming, what decade would that be in reference to...the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s? Given that the association is correct, we're taking an awful long time to get there...wherever there is. Just sayin'

Last Sunday, during the Corps free day, my son and I went to see the I&E performances. He wanted to see the brass competitions but found that he couldn't watch them because...he is more sensitive to the playing than I am. He even remarked that he could tell that an instrument had spit in it. It served to put a damper on his enjoyment of the performances because he couldn't help but critique them. We ended up watching guard and percussion performances instead.

I don't know if it's possible for y'all to put aside your sensitivities and biases, but if you can...possibly y'all can enjoy the performances more.

Definitely a good point. Our expectations and experiences coming in to a performance can ruin our enjoyment.

On the other hand, I don't think critique and sometimes-rough-edged discussion of severely subjective things is a bad thing. I expect lots of people on DCP enjoy having something harmless to argue about. It's a lot more fun to complain about design decisions and rule changes for drum corps shows than to argue about religion or politics where the answers are actually important! :thumbup:

Also, NO ONE on DCP wants to see a lack of variety. Please don't try to stick that on the folks that don't like a particular show. :thumbdown:

Whoa there Nelly...if I said "I wish that DCP/people liked/appreciated more variety" I could TOTALLY SEE your comment and your thumbs down. But I didn't say that so please do not insert those words into my mouth. I was merely expressing *my* opinion, as I believe I am entitled to do, no? Please re-read my post or inquire regarding my intent in any of my comments before making assumptions and I'll do my best to extend you the same courtesy. Thanks!

*edited to include post I was quoting.

Edited by BDAMom
  • Like 4

Hi All,

A couple of days ago I posted a little something about how I loved the Blue Devils.

I still do.

But much in the same way I love peanut butter & chocolate malts, and really dark oatmeal stouts, I wouldn't make all my guests in my home eat or drink it.

There is room for variety. There just is.

The opening 2 acts in 1988 at DCI Finals were Velvet Knights putting Pee Wee Herman into a boiling pot in a tribal dance, and Suncoast Sound showing us anger and an atomic blast nightmare.

The Bridgemen were hated when they went "bananas" on us after switching to the long coats, after years of being St. Andrews' with the cadet style uniforms. "That's not drum corps!" "You can't see their feet!" "They're not marching!" "Look at their stick heights!" "Disgraceful colorguard!"....

I remember all that very clearly.

2012 Blue Devils.

You're awesome!!

Don't stop being awesome!!

But... I'm not telling anyone else they have to like it.

Try the cookie dough shake. . . and have a Miller Lite.

It's all good.

:doh::cool::music:

peace and love,

Chuck Naffier

Appreciated the mastery, see it as deserving of being in the top of the heap, still am not a fan though. I'll have a Newcastle and cookie dough without the shake please.

• Like 2

Chuck, I enjoyed the entire post... until the Miller Lite thing.

That does not even qualify as beer. :tongue:

• Like 1

Some of us need to inspect the bark, roots and knots before we even bother looking at the trees (hence, why your son can hear a spit gurgle in a horn and not enjoy himself.) The details are important .. not just the BIG PICTURE. Those of us who have been around a long time and were taught by great instructors are perfectionists by training ... therefore, we expect the best in everything .. especially the most miniscule of details.

It's nowhere near that granular for me. The constant babbling is so pervasive that I can't get past it to appreciate what the corps is doing. I would watch BD's battery in the lot in a heartbeat - they're incredible, but if I'm in the stands when they come on the field, it would be time for a trip to the souvie stands. Sorry - incredibly talented corps drowned by a tsunami of obtrusive babble.

• Like 1