Corps Apparel/Accessory Traditions

Surf Members keep the medal they wear on the uni. Each year has different colors for the show, this season is blue and yellow I believe. This tradition has been going for 5 years or so, maybe since Surf moved to World Class?

The Crossmen age outs get a Maltese Cross necklace. Each season the alumni group makes the necklace sponsorship available, and alumni pick a member to sponsor. This season the sponsorships got snatched up at a record pace.

Spirit never had any sponsorship from Delta. It's one of Spirit's urban myths, along with cracking the glass in the Pressbox.

Yes, the Delta has been Spirit's logo since the beginning.

It's an abstract "A" for Atlanta and was originally created by the staff at the Atlanta TV station (WXIA) that first sponsored Spirit.

The Deltas that everyone now wears were originally created by the cymbal line back in the day. They were cut from cracked cymbals.

The modern Deltas are made to look somewhat like the old brass ones (since the cymbal companies now recycle cracked cymbals) by a Spirit Alumnus.

Deltas are presented to Members, Staff, and Volunteers (who tour) in a Delta Ceremony each season.

They are laser-etched on the back with the year and position with the Corps, so "Member" Deltas are quite unique.

Or at least that's how I remember it...

Also, Spirit alumni can give their Deltas to current MM to wear for the season. Mine are being worn by the son of a good friend of mine who marched Crossmen BITD with Mark Thurston

Cadets get knee problems. :devil:

Not anymore! Not that anyone would notice around here.

Interesting. Does anyone know the reason behind Bluecoats drums wearing one sleeve cut-off and the other down a bit? I know that's random, but it'd be interesting to know. Glad to hear all the responses.

On another note, what about apparel? I've seen certain sections wear certain colored shorts...any info on that? And...are there any corps that have sponsorship type deals with any clothing brand to allow their members to all have the same undershirt (Ex. Under Armour), instead of just telling the member to go out and buy a black undershirt (that wouldn't all look uniform)?

Interesting. Does anyone know the reason behind Bluecoats drums wearing one sleeve cut-off and the other down a bit? I know that's random, but it'd be interesting to know. Glad to hear all the responses.

On another note, what about apparel? I've seen certain sections wear certain colored shorts...any info on that? And...are there any corps that have sponsorship type deals with any clothing brand to allow their members to all have the same undershirt (Ex. Under Armour), instead of just telling the member to go out and buy a black undershirt (that wouldn't all look uniform)?

Section shorts are easy to identify sections when on the field. its uniformity in section. We got underarmour because its light, soaked up sweat, and drys fast. We were wearing half black shirts. The corps also put their logo on them so everyone didnt go get different brands on a trip to walmart.

• Like 1