So Sad

Are you telling me that the style between Phantom Regiment in 1979 and that of the Bridgemen of 1979 isn't VASTLY different among these two Corps, than from that of between Crown and Blue Devils of 2012 ?

The entire 1977 DCI Midwest broadcast was based on the premise of how opposite Phantom and Bridgemen were.

Star Wars came out in 1976 and people will still go to a good science fiction movie.

1977. the first movie I remember seeing in a movie theater. I was five.

(And while space opera has the trappings of science fiction, I tend to think of it more as romance (using that term in the traditional sense, of fantastic adventure story: Orlando Furioso or Le Morte d'Arthur. The actual science fiction film nominated for an Oscar that year [as was Star Wars] was Close Encounters of the Third Kind.)

The OP is talking about an activity that was once very accessible, which has gone more highbrow. For films to have gone through that, movies like "The Artist" (last year's Oscar winner) would have done $200 million in the box office instead of $44 million.

What's especially funny about referencing The Artist in this discussion is that it is more old school than anything in modern drum corps, recreating as it does the movie style of more than eighty years ago!

I know, so sad.

I felt the same thing when "hair metal" from the 80's was overtaken by grunge and hip hop in the 1990's.

• Like 1

... and as for corps identities and differing styles of shows ...

You can't find two shows in the 1970s that are even close to being more different than Crown's and the Blue Devil's shows this year...

Are you telling me that the style between Phantom Regiment in 1979 and that of the Bridgemen of 1979 isn't VASTLY different among these two Corps, than from that between Crown and Blue Devils of 2012? You can't be serious.

"'It is not easy for us to tell the difference between two mortals', said the Elf.

'Nonsense, Lindir,' snorted Bilbo. 'If you can't distinguish between a Man and a Hobbit, your judgement is poorer than I imagined. They're as different as peas and apples.'

'Maybe. To sheep other sheep no doubt appear different,' laughed Lindir. 'Or to shepherds. But Mortals have not been our study.'"

The entire 1977 DCI Midwest broadcast was based on the premise of how opposite Phantom and Bridgemen were.

Not surprised, Northern Thunder.

These corps ( as just one example ) could not be more different. I can understand folks who make not like something from an earlier deade ( or even from today ). But to watch and listen to, for just one example, the 1977-79 Phantom Regiment and then the 1977-79 Bayonne Bridgemen and conclude that there is a " sameness " there, well that observation and evaluation just goes clear right over my head. That makes no sense to me at all. Oh well, as Rosanne Rosannadanna used to remind us... " well,.. it just goes to show you. If its not something, then its something else ".

Edited by BRASSO

Change is inevitable and in most cases good. But constantly chasing the latest fad or running out to buy the latest gadget is going make some fans no longer feel part of an activity they have either been a part of or grown to love and as Brasso stated "they are not coming back".. At some point we need to look at whether we are chasing away more fans than we are bringing in to the activity. It certainly does't help the situation when those embracing the changes reply to those questioning them with the casual "if you don't like it leave" attitude or when the other side says "amplification sucks..... I am done".

But at this point in this transformation we need to admit that we are losing more fans than we are bringing in and this is unsustainable. I would suggest a slower more measured approach to the changes allowing fans to catch up would be in the best interest of DCI and it's followers.

Edited by musclebud
  • Like 3

What is much more define-able is the style of arrangement the Blue Devils present... both musically and visually. And today, this is as distinctive as it gets. Take any 10 second segment of any of their shows the past few years, and it is easily distinguishable as the Blue Devils even you you had never seen it before and they didn't have uniforms on.... the style is simply that distinctive..... the same can be said for the Blue Devils BITD. The musical/visual presentation is what gave them their identity, not simply the source music. My point, is that while their identity has evolved over time, its strength remains the same.

OK, thought you were going for something like arrangement when you were talking about style but wanted to be sure before continuing. So, in my words, for style you're talking about the way the music is arranged and/or played and I'm talking about what types (Latin, classical, etc) of music were played BITD.

No problems... but still say easier to tell differences by the music being played than by arrangement. For my family BITD we only really saw DCI corps once a year on PBS (twice day after in 1975/76). My moms a big music fan and knew some corps by the type of music they played. Would it be as easy for a once or twice a year fan to tell the corps individual styles today? Especially for non-music majors who couldn't define what they are hearing?

Also would also like to know about corps being more the same BITD. This non-music major (work in IT) just doesn't get it.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Change is inevitable and in most cases good. But constantly chasing the latest fad or running out to buy the latest gadget is going make some fans no longer feel part of an activity they have either been a part of or grown to love. At some point we need to look at whether we are chasing away more fans than we are bringing in to the activity. It certainly does't help the situation when those embracing the changes reply to those questioning them with the casual "if you don't like it leave" attitude or when the other side says "amplification sucks..... I am done".

But at this point in this transformation we need to admit that we are losing more fans than we are bringing in and this is unsustainable. I would suggest a slower more measured approach to the changes allowing fans to catch up would be in the best interest of DCI and it's followers.

Oh, you're WAY too sensible on this.

• Like 1

I’ve been following drum corps for the last 30 years. There are some classic shows and some not so classic shows. I went through my Blue Devil period. I went through my Vanguard period. I went through a short Cadet period. The last few years I hate the Blue Devils and the Cadets. I’m bored with the Vanguard. I still can crank my 1975 Madison Scouts and smile. The last couple of years have been all about Carolina Crown. Things have changed. Nothing stays the same and sometimes you just move on. I used to like punk rock, but now I’m in my 50’s, life is pretty good and not much discontent to fuel my love of punk rock. I still love my drum corps, but maybe you have really had enough, and that’s what is really so sad.

What's especially funny about referencing The Artist in this discussion is that it is more old school than anything in modern drum corps, recreating as it does the movie style of more than eighty years ago!

DCP'ers are beginning to sound way too sensible and insightful here for me. I'm not sure if I can keep up with this "change ".