Fighting Back

In 88 we saw a nuclear cloud on the field with the same show as a "child" running around with a beach ball. Same year we saw a beautifully odd depiction of puppets. I remember the burning of Atlanta during a show a couple of years later but it was in the same show with an uplifting southern revival. 1993 brought us the year of the ##### - medea.

Exploring emotions is not new. Exploring one side in a deeper way might be. I personally liked the emotional roller coaster rides of the eighties & nineties. It presented a well rounded show and corps. But as we progress into exploring deeper creative we will start to see more of these shows that explore a more focused emotion. They only have a limited amount of time to tell their story. Some are happy... some not.

BD did a very uplifting show this year! It was down right funny too!

DaDa makes me laugh.

There seem to be several types of shows- those that are generally happy, those that are generally sad/angry/have lots of angst and all kinds of stuff in between.

I've been listening to a lot of 90s and early 2000s shows and I feel like there's been a general mood shift in the types of music that is played and the way it is arranged. I'm generalizing very much but does anyone notice this? I don't know why but something tells me that 2004 was the first year in this new direction when I listen.

Perhaps more accurately is that I hear A lot of shows are just plain "epic" but not necessarily "epic" in an inspiring, fuzzy feel-good way, you know?

Cadets 2000 (epic AND inspiring) vs. Bluecoats 2011 OR Crossmen 1993/94 vs. Pacific Crest in any recent year.

Yes, I know that shows try to convey different types of emotions, but I'm referring specifically to a lack of feel-good music. Jersey Surf this year makes a notable exemption.

ALSO, parallel this with all the angst going on in the U.S. about itself, and all the angst of the Drum Corps community that fears for its survival. I know these things have always been going on but it seems amplified nowadays and is showing in the music.

I feel like if we want to fight the negativity, our form of protest should be unrelentingly, unapologetically optimistic music such has been done in the past. Of course this is up to the arrangers and show designers.

Thoughts?

I think design trends are all cyclical. Designers continue to push to one side ('dark' or 'light'), to truly explore and exploit an emotion. And then they decide to shift back and go towards the other side of the spectrum.

I do agree with you, though, that we are living turbulent times in our country. I believe that you may be on to something about the angst in pop art showing up because of the angst in our modern culture. As a society we are so divisive right now. Media & politicians are leading the charge against their personal ideologies, it's not about "what's best" but things seem to be about "whatever the other guy is against." It's not surprising that we see that angst in pop art as well.

I think design trends are all cyclical. Designers continue to push to one side ('dark' or 'light'), to truly explore and exploit an emotion. And then they decide to shift back and go towards the other side of the spectrum.

What other sets of years would you say contained "dark" design trends?

I do agree with you, though, that we are living turbulent times in our country. I believe that you may be on to something about the angst in pop art showing up because of the angst in our modern culture. As a society we are so divisive right now. Media & politicians are leading the charge against their personal ideologies, it's not about "what's best" but things seem to be about "whatever the other guy is against." It's not surprising that we see that angst in pop art as well.

Well heck, look at Geneses' show this year! And Bluecoats and Blue Devils (Dada is based on resentment after all) this year, Cavaliers 2010,.

Although when I think about it and go through the list of corps, most of the shows this year (at least in world class) seem to be either uplifting or neutral.

A lot of the neutral shows are "passionate" but don't seem to fall on either end of the spectrum because of the balanced repertoire,

This is all subject to opinion of course but I see the shows this way... it should be noted however that these categories make no mention of entertainment value.

Uplifting:

Cadets

Crown

Vanguard

Jersey Surf

Pacific Crest

BAC could fall in Neutral or Uplifting

Neutral (or simply "passionate"/"epic" because of a very balanced repertoire):

Cavaliers

Pioneer

Colts

Phantom

Spirit

Blue Stars

Glassmen

Blue Knights

Troopers

Madison Scouts

Dark:

Bluecoats

Blue Devils

The Academy

Mandarins

Not sure where to put Xmen because I can't remember their show that well.

LOL

BD's show was 100% upbeat. How can you not see that? never mind

A show about protesting the estblishment is upbeat? A show about mocking politics and a world war is upbeat? hmmmmm yup I'm one of those numbskulls I guess.

are you sure your curiosity isn't "piqued"?

I think it must be both! It's piqued to its peak! :tongue:

What other sets of years would you say contained "dark" design trends?

Well heck, look at Geneses' show this year! And Bluecoats and Blue Devils (Dada is based on resentment after all) this year, Cavaliers 2010,.

Although when I think about it and go through the list of corps, most of the shows this year (at least in world class) seem to be either uplifting or neutral.

A lot of the neutral shows are "passionate" but don't seem to fall on either end of the spectrum because of the balanced repertoire,

This is all subject to opinion of course but I see the shows this way... it should be noted however that these categories make no mention of entertainment value.

Uplifting:

Cadets

Crown

Vanguard

Jersey Surf

Pacific Crest

BAC could fall in Neutral or Uplifting

Neutral (or simply "passionate"/"epic" because of a very balanced repertoire):

Cavaliers

Pioneer

Colts

Phantom

Spirit

Blue Stars

Glassmen

Blue Knights

Troopers

Madison Scouts

Dark:

Bluecoats

Blue Devils

The Academy

Mandarins

Not sure where to put Xmen because I can't remember their show that well.

I think this show falls in both dark and uplifting since in the end, the performers become confident enough to reveal who they are to the world. Ya the majority is dark but so was Spartacus and look at how uplifting that ending was too. Besides that, I wholeheartedly agree

I think this show falls in both dark and uplifting since in the end, the performers become confident enough to reveal who they are to the world. Ya the majority is dark but so was Spartacus and look at how uplifting that ending was too. Besides that, I wholeheartedly agree

Yeah--any time you can kill a Drum Major, that's gotta boost your spirits. ;-)

• Like 1

As a marching member, I couldn't stand some of the "happy" parts of the show, like Red Pony, etc. Sometimes when it's hot and you're in Assville Louisiana you just want to play something a little more angry and badash.

Edited by mellodramatic

Optimistic music can often sound cheesy to me. Too much of it would be like eating sweets for an appetizer, main course, and dessert. Variety is the spice of life. I happen to prefer minor-keyed music. I don't see how optimistic music would save our country or drum corps. Mandating corps to play a certain type of music is always a bad idea imo.