Who is poised to surprise!?

If being asked to predict a final finishing order...

1) BD- they could be caught. not likely.

2) Crown- they could catch BD. not likely.

3) Cadets- fun show. just not enough.

4) Phantom- imagine what this season could have been if your percussion wasn't a disaster.

5) Santa Clara Vanguard- we all keep waiting for these guys to make a huge push to the top. still waiting...

6) Bluecoats- neato show. same finishing result.

7) Madison- one of the better surprises of the year. Madison takes another baby step forward.

8) Boston Crusaders- some great drum corps out of this team lately.

9) The Cavaliers- transition is always tough. who knew it would be this tough?

10) Spirit- another great move forward for this group

11) Blue Knights- another year, another snoozer in 11th place.

12) Blue Stars- A fairly forgettable show by these guys. Would love to see them get back the magic they had a few years ago.

But hey, I could be wrong.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and that is what makes DCP fun! However, please be aware and cautious when using words like "disaster"...the kids are encouraged NOT to look on DCP, but I bet they do sometimes. PR's drumline a 'disaster'? Really? Yes, they have placed 7th at many shows, but if you look carefully at the recaps, the scores aren't even a full point apart. It is a young line and they are working their butts off. Let's give them some credit and not put a label on them that could affect their self-confidence for a long time to come. How many kids in the country (or adults for that matter) could march in the PR drumline? They are still a very elite group. This would go for any corps we discuss, too.

• Like 1

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and that is what makes DCP fun! However, please be aware and cautious when using words like "disaster"...the kids are encouraged NOT to look on DCP, but I bet they do sometimes. PR's drumline a 'disaster'? Really? Yes, they have placed 7th at many shows, but if you look carefully at the recaps, the scores aren't even a full point apart. It is a young line and they are working their butts off. Let's give them some credit and not put a label on them that could affect their self-confidence for a long time to come. How many kids in the country (or adults for that matter) could march in the PR drumline? They are still a very elite group. This would go for any corps we discuss, too.

give or take 18tongue.gif

(its a joke because there are oly 18)

Edited by MotorCityMusician
  • Like 1

I sure hope Phantom's new ending will bring the show more in line with the story of Turandot. Right now the show feels, to me anyway, like a mash-up of Spartacus (aggressive and murder) and Juliet (same guard, different outfits) with a Rhapsody ending (even the "happy couple" comes down front at the end exactly like they did in 2005). Turandot does NOT have a happy ending – she is NOT happy that he answers the three riddles and doesn't end up getting killed. It'd also be great if they can find a way to tone down the big impact at around the 7 minute mark when it sounds/feels like the end of the show. They have such a strong, well-performing corps, but I think these design issues (along with a not quite good enough to win drumline) will keep them from getting any higher than 3rd.

I have my fingers and toes crossed that Crossmen can keep surprising us and jump solidly into a finals spot.

I respectfully disagree. Yes, the tension is in the show because the princess does kill many a suitor! However, have you looked on the Regiment FB page at some of the photos of the guard? They are so fierce that it's almost scary! They are not delicate, sweet Juliet's throughout the show...to say the least! I saw "Turandot" live and a big city opera house last fall. Calif and the Princess DID fall in love at the end and it was happy! A new ending will be unveiled soon. The drumline will not win the caption, but will not keep PR from kicking it as best they can. Only finals night will tell if that is enough. ;)

For sure. Just as "Top 7/8" is 'the new' "Top 6," I think the same can be said (this year at least) for percussion sections. There are a TON of stellar percussion sections this season, and 7th (just behind who, Cavaliers?!) is nothing short of awesome!

• Like 3

Spirit in 8th. Crown in 1st.

For sure. Just as "Top 7/8" is 'the new' "Top 6," I think the same can be said (this year at least) for percussion sections. There are a TON of stellar percussion sections this season, and 7th (just behind who, Cavaliers?!) is nothing short of awesome!

It really says something that now it's top 6-8 ... 20 years ago it was top 5 .... 25 years ago .. it was top 3. There was always a big gap in score down to 4th in the 80's.

• Like 1

Turandot does NOT have a happy ending -– she is NOT happy that he answers the three riddles and doesn’t end up getting killed.

But that's only the end of Act II. "Nessun Dorma" doesn't come until the beginning of the next act, which concerns Turandot's attempt to learn Calaf's name and so achieve his execution despite his success with the riddles. Then he actually tells her his name, putting himself in her power, but when dawn comes she announces that she had determined his name to be "love".

It really says something that now it's top 6-8 ... 20 years ago it was top 5 .... 25 years ago .. it was top 3. There was always a big gap in score down to 4th in the 80's.

Well, most years since 1984, when the tick system was first abandoned, have seen the eighth place corps score 89-90. The exceptions are 1994, 1995, and especially 1996.

It will be interesting to see how the Top 4 mash up again in Atlanta. Like the OP mentioned, Phantom seems to have jumped somewhat closer to BD. There's no way they beat Crown any time soon, but are they closer? I'd like to think so, but I'm also heavily biased toward Phantom.

SCV seems to be in a really good place right now; I see them jumping Cadets soon. Maybe even in Atlanta. Cavies are making their way back up, too, which isn't surprising. Besides that...I'm strongly hoping Crossmen snag a Finalists' spot, and could Spirit break into the Top 8? Again, now I'm into being biased and not actually looking at who is "making a move," but a guy can dream, right?

My (ideal but not terribly realistic) rankings:

1. Crown

2. Phantom

3. BD

4. SCV

5. Bluecoats

6. Cadets

7. Scouts

8. Spirit

9. Cavies

10. Boston

11. Blue Knights

12. Crossmen

(Note - not realistic at all. BD's not dropping to 3rd this year and Cadets won't be beat by Bluecoats, but I like Blue's show this year.)

But that's only the end of Act II. "Nessun Dorma" doesn't come until the beginning of the next act, which concerns Turandot's attempt to learn Calaf's name and so achieve his execution despite his success with the riddles. Then he actually tells her his name, putting himself in her power, but when dawn comes she announces that she had determined his name to be "love".

And she also observes the all-consuming devotion of Calef's servant girl and this is one of the reasons she finally falls in love with him - realizing he must be a wonderful man to deserve this kind of devotion. :)