Murfreesboro Mussitations

You made a comment about my iPhones autocorrect spelling.... Snooty.

And you don't think that saying BD is fine wine and if you don't like it you simply don't appreciate finer things like high art doesn't sound snobby? It sounded very very snobby. Now your comment admiring their talent and skill doesn't sound that way. Learn the difference.

Wow... "Keeping it Real" again I see. :shutup:

Edited by SFZFAN

But Benny Goodman might like that "swing". (What's the history of the guard judge in Dallas and tonight?)

He has been around a long time. midwest judge. Looks like he is a brass type. I think he was on staff with Cav's and maybe BS along with other collage bands. These judges are judging multiple captions.

After the fun drive home (and reading this thread) I have a few show comments to make.

1) The TOC format without encores from each corps runs much smoother, and there was very little downtime between corps.

2) There were a lot of people in those stands, and only about 20-30% were above the age of 30. These shows are apparently hot with the kiddies (a lot of high school bands came as groups as well).

3) All corps were entertaining, and I'm glad that there was no mass exodus from the stands during corps that people might not have liked the most.

4) Blue Devils and Crown could have gone either way. I think the judges called it right from what I saw tonight. However, I don't know what group of numbskulls decided it would be fun to boo Blue Devils during the scores, but that is simply too rude. Those kids deserve nothing but applause. If you don't like it, golf clap, but don't boo a bunch of kids who are working their tails off.

5) I had SCV and Cadets flipped in scores, but the judges saw it differently. I also would have put Phantom above 90. That ending is hot.

6) Every bit of what I saw gives me hope for the progression of drum corps into this decade. There are weird shows like Blue Devils (abstract, arty, love it or hate it), shows that appeal to the younger crowds like The Cavaliers, and there are shows that are just straight up old school drum corps like Crown (surprising lack of body movements from what I saw; mostly just marching and playing). But, there is something for everyone to enjoy.

7) I like BAC's shirts this year.

You seem to leave out Bluecoats who i think will pass SCV soon, it seems to be the battle every year for that fifth or sixth place spot. Crown is visually Dirty and The drums are well, really dirty so that score to me is alittle high but DCI always has the scores that high this time around. BD show design, playing marching drumming and spinning was way ahead of everyone else last night. I'd love to hear the Phantom Regiment on Yamaha or King horns to me the horns sound stuffy and i know that brass can play./...Jupiter blahhhhhh.....I wish the order of the show was differn't for sure, and as for booooing blue devils or any other corps it shouldn't happen. This kids are performing at the highest level from Music city to Dev's and ALL these kids work equally as hard and these high school kids booing and bashing kids who are on another level.........SCV drumline to me was way differn't than ive seen in the past twenty years and i just don't think he style is an SCV style. I was ready for the quads to start ramming some notes in the balad, in saying that the drumline was amped up playing at a high level just differn't for me. Boston had a nice show and cavies have come along way and seem to be a crowd pleaser.....

MotorCity said "I cant believe i just saw someone get a negative for saying Congrats BD. If you can tell me what was offensive maybe ill understand but they were congratulating the group that won the show. There is NOTHING wrong with that."

Great Job tonight BD see you all tomorrow

Kamarag said "Welcome to DCP 2012. That's kinda how it's been all summer."

I been getting my tail kicked for critiquing the corps I marched with 22 years ago by another member of this same corps, who seems to think Crown walks on water and does no wrong or couldn't do any better or make better decisions. So, I feel MotorCity and Kamarag concerning this type of behavior. I am sick to death of people on DCP who think that their loyalty to a corps is a life and death issue. This is an opinion board, not a place where people have the power to impose the death penalty or something. I mean, people on the forum need to CHILL OUT!!! and put the activity and people's OPINIONS in the proper context, that of just being opinions.

Edited by Corbin
  • Like 2

Cher Blue Devils:

Tournez le Français Narration le heck off. OK? Remerciements

• Like 1

Can someone like BD 2012 without sounding conceited and snobby? #guessnot

can someone not like jingle bells and not get called a hater?

• Like 1

I am not going to give a complete review on last nights TOC show in Murfreesboro.

I will give my thoughts and opinions on the placements and spreads.

I think the order of appearance created a lot whacked out spreads that we saw in the top 3 last night. While the judges got the order right I think the top three are much closer than the scores reflect. Look for all of that to get corrected tonight in Atlanta. I suspect the scores to maybe drop a little at the top and the spreads to get much closer.

I think Phantom has what it takes to make another come from behind. They have the best show design overall, its entertaining and connects with the crowd. You cannot win a championship without high percussion marks and they were in 7th place last night. If they can clean that up in the next few weeks they got something reminiscing of 2008. If not they are likley to be stuck where they are at.

Crown and BD were much closer than the spreads accounted for. I suspect they are closer to 1/2 point behind. CC marching is holding them back. If they can ever figure that out and fix it they will be unstoppable.

BD has some issues. The show does not connect on every level like I would like. Many people in the stands around me were grumbling they did not enjoy the show and it made no sense. I disagree to a degree. There is a lot going on in this show and it probably is going to take several viewings of it to sink in. If you have only seen it once you are not going to get it. Repeat it over and over and its truly a amazing show. Its not for everyone.

I made a statement last night after BD. I said "they got this". I suspect I am going to be saying that in Indy too.

Edited by camel lips

so we're told TOC needs to have the filler betwen corps, the super huge grand finale....and we had none of that.

so, more hot air floated about the concept.

looking at the recap:

BDalready performer over book in visual proficiency and brass

Crown performer over book in guard

Crown's percussion continues to play a role in the spread

Phantom with a decent spread on Cadets in GE

Visual keeping Bloo behind SCV

Boston is a few sheets away from catching Cavies

Of course they don't give a flying flip what I think. I never asserted that they did or should. I do think DCI as a whole should care.

This show *is* my cup of tea! I like it! It is in my top 8! But it's not connecting with large portions of the audience despite the fact that the performers are executing the crap out of it. Either their designers don't care about entertaining typical drum corps crowds, or they failed at their attempt. But whichever explanation is right, it's still a flaw in their design, unless you think the audience's reaction isn't important.

The audience reaction is not important to me. I hate to sound perhaps a bit selfish about this, but the audience did not share in my ticket cost nor share in my cost for FN. I pay for these things. So I'm frankly only interested in whether or not I like the show or not. ( or any Corps show for that matter). The " design flaw " that you see, is not what I see ( or hear ). I see and hear a show that simply does not connect with me the way I wish. But these Corps are in competition and I am not the judge in these competitions, and I am not a factor at all in the judging criteria. I have no points to give, nor take away. That role is given to the judges in the competition to determine if the BD have a " design flaw" in their show. I don't make that decision. You frankly don't either. The judges do and they have quite clearly made a collective decision that no " design flaw " is present in the 2012 show production. Quite the contrary as a matter of fact. The judges apparently love this BD show design compared to others in competition as the GE scores reflect this observation sand evaluation.. Now you may disagree with all the DCI judges, thats your perogative, but you will have no influence on that decision and the BD show designers I am pretty confident believe that if they win the 2012 title it was primarily their superb show design and their execution of such that led to the success they had intended when they designed the show in preseason. Now, having said all this, perhaps if you were the judge and others with similar likes were judging then perhaps the BD design staff would have designed a much different show altogether, as in order to generate good scores with judges like you they would need to do so. But you have no points to give or withold. Only your time, energy and money.

Edited by BRASSO