The show MUST go on....NOT!

I was in the stands and watched this Crown injury. He had folks helping him within a few seconds...unfortunately, one of them got injured helping him.

There are times when the show must NOT go on! Would you say that for lightening? I don't think stopping the show could cause MORE injuries...they stop runs in rehearsals every day.

There is MUCH more chance of injury in leaving someone down on the field where others may trip over them.

Just wanted to lighten this thread up a bit....

3EgeK.jpg

• Like 1

staff stop the corps in mid-run all day in rehearsals - a well disciplined corps should follow the direction of their conductor, including if the conductor calls a halt in the middle of the performance.

if everyone hears/sees it yes.

But also consider the mindset...in rehearsal, you expect that and mentally are prepped.

Mid show, in the superman costume...no you aren't. Mentally you're "go time"

I've been on the field as a judge when out of the blue lightning hit right behind the stadium. I saw it/heard it, kids kept plugging away. Drum major was frantically trying to get them to stop, but some kidshad the "it's show time" blinders on.

• Like 2

That kid was down for two fricken minutes before the two guys ran out to help him. He tried to get up once...tried to move a couple of times to get out of the way and only made it a couple of feet. He looked to be in a LOT of pain because he repeatedly laid his head right down on the floor.

If this had happened to my son while I was watching FN, after I got done yelling at the tv, I'd be calling everyone on the staff...from the director on down...raising holy hell.  If I was in the stands, I wouldn't be in the stands for long...I'd be in someone's face!!

I'd also probably pay a little visit to that judge who walked within 10 yards of him...and kept going.

Edited by RockyGranite
  • Like 3

With the increased demands the activity now sees, there needs to be more safety precautions in place. I believe this is the point of the original post. Everyone should respect this need. I mean, even the young man from crown knew that he could no longer march due to injury. I feel these incidences will increase. There just needs to be an increase in safety to compensate for the increase in demand.

However much I think we ought to be (obviously) really concerned about the health of the performers, is stopping the show really the right solution? People on this thread have already brought it up - the actual act of stopping the show could injure even more people. And as it is, the player was down for two minutes. For a leg/knee injury, those two minutes don't translate to any (significant) additional damage/injury. Should the judge have stopped to help him? ABSOLUTELY. Yes. He/she should definitely should have stopped to make sure the performer was okay.

But, that being said, stopping the show and making the corp restart doesn't seem like the right solution to me. How do you imagine the player who went down would feel? That his injury made the corp restart their show? I think if we asked that player, he would agree that there are better options. Namely, I think, having a medic on the side of the field, much like they do for high school football games. Have a medical professional ready to take action (so that we don't have those two minute delays) and get the injured performer off the field safely and quickly, so that he/she can be treated.

Judges, too, should make it a policy of stopping to help injured performers if they are in a position to do so. But trying to stop a show mid-performance and start over poses a number of risks in itself, not to mention that it is a very difficult call to make - when does one stop the show, and when does one try to let the performer get him/herself off the field?

Was yesterday a shining example of what we should be aiming for if someone is hurt? Of course not. The judge should have helped him off the field and a medical professional should have been on the sidelines ready to treat BEFORE the show started. But if I were injured on the field, even if I couldn't move myself out of the way, I wouldn't want the show stopped unless my presence on the field posed a significant danger to my colleagues (i.e. - being down in the middle of the field, where lots of other movement is going on).

Edited by Some Random Drummer
  • Like 2

if everyone hears/sees it yes.

But also consider the mindset...in rehearsal, you expect that and mentally are prepped.

Mid show, in the superman costume...no you aren't. Mentally you're "go time"

I've been on the field as a judge when out of the blue lightning hit right behind the stadium. I saw it/heard it, kids kept plugging away. Drum major was frantically trying to get them to stop, but some kidshad the "it's show time" blinders on.

No to mention that often in rehearsals:

1) things "stop" because you're going from set-set. Like you say, members are expecting to stop frequently in a rehearsal block

2) on the (very) off chance a full run was cut for any reason when I marched, a Caption Head cut us by yelling into the stadium PA. I'm sure that might not have been an option at the performance from Thursday.

I think it is VERY easy for people to (once again) make calls from the 'cheap seats' after the fact. Maybe there weren't a lot of staff at the show? Maybe most of the staff was down low, field level, and didn't see the injury after awhile? Maybe staffers waited to see if the member was just shaken, or seriously injured: staffers running out on the field during an adjudicated performance would definitely freak out performers, so I can see staff waiting a little bit to make sure that the member was indeed injured and to make sure it was a time when they would disrupt the least amount of people.

Finally, here's an easy suggestion:

Instead of speculating, threatening, accusing, etc, take a moment to drop the corps a line and ask how the member is. Maybe, if you feel so inclined, ask why it took staff "a long time" to get the member off the field.

Better yet, ask if the kid needs help: send him a care package via DCI. If his injury is serious and he's out for the year, he's likely not in the beset of spirits right now and could use a 'pick-me-up.'

Contact Pacific Crest here: http://www.pacific-crest.org/contact-us/

or via their Facebook page (where they seem to be fairly quick to respond): https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacific-Crest-Drum-Bugle-Corps/53001914206

I know this is just an internet forum, and it's easy for people to huff and puff from their monitor/keyboard. But if anyone here has any legit concerns I hope they use their same keyboard & monitor to drop PC a line and let them know your concern, offer your help, send the hurt member a care package, etc.

• Like 3

I come down on the side of stopping the show for everyone's safety. If a football player goes down like that, they stop the play immediately, and EVERYONE--officials, players, coaches--start blowing whistles, yelling, grabbing people by the arm, etc. to get them to stop. I think the potential for more people to get hurt by falling over a player down on the field is too high to risk it. These kids move really fast on the field and change directions quickly, so you never know when several other players might need to move into the exact spot where the injured player is, often moving backwards, so they can't see that someone is down. If you just watch the judges trying to stay out of the way of all of the movement on the field, you can see how easy it would be for more people to get caught in a big pile-up.

You know...they stop football games when someone gets hurt. All it takes is a whistle.

And a play is "live" for, what 5-8 seconds at a time?! It's significantly easier to stop a football game/play when it's already habitual. As nasty as that injury looked last night, it is still pretty rare for that to happen, and thus maybe hard to stop a performance run via someone blowing a whistle

• Like 1