Crown is... just okay.

I saw it for the 2nd time tonight on FN and just thought that their show sounded like a Mighty Ducks movie.

Would you mind elaborating on this? I can't figure out what it's supposed to mean, unless it's just that you think the source music is cheesy.

Or, I see that The Mighty Ducks soundtrack featured "We Will Rock You". Perhaps you got mixed up and watched last year's Crown show by mistake? :w00t:

I've been perusing these boards for a while, and I'l use this post to say I haven't seen much overt CC love. I read a lot that they're dirty visually though, As a professed madison and phantom fan, I admit that I like this show! There, hope I don't get too much crap for saying it!

I agree -- plenty Crown of critics on here. In fact there's been a constant drone of:

hard for no reason

have no technique

can't march

can't clean

too little color

guard sucks

percussion sucks

(and more I'm sure I'm forgetting at the moment).

and I've seen very little "retaliation" from Crown fans. They mostly have kept the honking to the Crown thread (which is, after all, what the individual threads are for). And despite all those comments, Crown is still just a point behind BD.

Seems like some BD honks just can't stand the idea that Crown might actually be good enough to win. To be fair there are also a few BD honks giving Crown credit -- but there aren't many of them.

IMO I think what's really gotten under the skin of a few BD homers is that there are a LOT of *non* Crown honks posting about Crown's show and how they think it should finish.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 5

There seems to be a lovefest going on for Carolina Crown's show. While their show is good--it just doesn't grab me.

I saw it for the 2nd time tonight on FN and just thought that their show sounded like a Mighty Ducks movie.

To be fair, you might like it better if you the show live. I saw CC the first show of the year in Akron, and they have HUGE power, something that's it's hard to perceive via FN. They also spread the show from sideline to sideline, front to back and turn the entire field into a giant speaker with their big sound, and it's together, Fanfare for the Common Man. That's really hard to do, and hard to appreciate seen only on the FN.

That's not a criticism of you, just an observation from my own experience watching shows on the little screen, they usually don't grab me. And if they do, they are usually a monster seen live on the field. I'm going to see Blue Devils live the first time this season on Monday.

I'll let you know if they're any good. :cool:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I was thinking the same thing as I read through this thread. Oddly missing is the vehement defense from overzealous fans.

I had the same thought. And I agree with corpsband, Crown is subject to at least as many cliched critiques as Blue Devils. Just like Cavies and Cadets are when they are dominating any particular season.

And anyway, it's *Madison* you gotta be careful about critiquing around here. :w00t:

• Like 1

To be fair, the OP's thread title refers to them as "...just okay."

Personally, I agree. The overall show is fine, and they have some elements that are outstanding - the horn line sounds good, and as always, Klesch's arrangements are nicely done - but it's not that interesting an overall package from a design or content standpoint.

• Like 3

I've been perusing these boards for a while, and I'l use this post to say I haven't seen much overt CC love. I read a lot that they're dirty visually though, As a professed madison and phantom fan, I admit that I like this show! There, hope I don't get too much crap for saying it!

You haven't seen overt CC love? Do you just go on the Open Class forums? There's the thread for CC 2012, the "BD...really?" thread, the predictions thread and every regional thread that all turn into CC lovefest.

I'll agree with the OP. I haven't been "grabbed" by a Crown show since 2007. Everything has just been so..marching band (with the exception of 2009, but I just didn't like that show).

• Like 3