Soooo...what's changed in 2012 with the new scoring system?

Nothing's changed. But the score sheets have fancier words now, so I guess it helps the judges feel smarter by making them feel like they understand what they mean.

devil.gif

They changed the sheets.... to make them "cleaner". Sort of like changing the sheets on the bed. They needed to be changed to make the bed cleaner.

But a bed is still a bed and we havn't changed who sleeps in the bed, so as far as that goes, we made our bed a long time ago.

while the sheets were brought up to date with lingo, I do see some small positive effects, especially in GE. corps that rely less on intellectual effects seem to be having some more success. it also seems that performer isgetting some more emphasis...hence some corps getting performer over the book numbers already

I've always been a proponent of the idea that fans could factor into the score at major regionals by submitting a score on a scorecard of some sort that comes with a ticket with numbers 1-10 for each corps in the areas of GE music, GE visual, colorgaurd, percussion, and brass. These scorecards would be submitted at the end of the show, scores wouldn't release until the following day to factor these averages in. The mean would be taken and outliers would be eliminated.

For example:

Lets say that the average fam gives BD a 7 for GE music. People who are dissatisfied with certain aspects to the show may rate them at a 1 to try and get the score to reflect that. Since the mean average rank is 7 (for all cards submitted) outliers outside of 4 points from that score would not be counted in the total average. This would encourage fans to place the corps within a reasonable mean score if they want their vote to apply to the total score. People just being mean then wouldn't have a say. They could do this with every major regional except finals since the fans will want to know who wins at the end of the day. So for finals, the fan votes from quarters to semis would be added together and then averaged for finals (also giving more fans the incentive to come for quarters and semis--not just finals).

This score, the "fan vote", would be factored in under a new category on the sheets and would apply as say an additional judge in each caption. Just a thought. What do you guys think?

CW

I think that if individual fans want to encourage the types of programs they like, they should cheer loudly and buy t-shirts from the corps that entertain them, and not buy t-shirts from the corps who don't. If someone is presenting a show that audiences love so much that they're voting with their wallets, that support will enable the corps to keep doing so for a long time.

"Winning" in a sport whose judging system is inherently clouded by individual bias is an overrated concept. Not that it's not worth the effort to be the cleanest and most coordinated, but that in the end, the performers have no control over the numbers that the judges hand out. Giving the fans in the stands, many of whom are fiercely partisan, a voice in determining the outcome wouldn't be much of an improvement.

Somewhat related article in the WSJ recently regarding bias and the Olympics

http://online.wsj.com/article/numbers_guy.html

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 2

The sheets may have changed a little bit, but the people reading them sure didn't change, so that's probably why we're not seeing a difference. New sheets with same old changes=same as it ever was

I think that if individual fans want to encourage the types of programs they like, they should cheer loudly and buy t-shirts from the corps that entertain them, and not buy t-shirts from the corps who don't.

I have corps that I prefer, but a cool t-shirt gets my money regardless of my opinion of the current show.

I just made a post on a new similar thread concerning the GE language that expounds a bit on the new sheets. Not from personal perspective, but from actually looking at the sheets and a few of the new terms. Maybe give it a read...

I posted this in another thread by mistake, meant to post it here

I have to say, for me, the entertainment factor across the board is way up this year. Give credit to the new sheets if you want, or just call it a great year.

I'm enjoying this year's BD production more than anything they've done since 2004.

They have an outstanding hornline and drumline with performance levels that are absolutely stellar. They also have imho the best brass soloists by far. I will be listening to this a lot on my ipod.

They tend to lose me with their visual program. I still find fault with their design team for the following:

- designing so as to minimize simultaneous demand of marching and playing

- designing a visual program that is intentionally difficult to judge, in that there are very few transitional forms to critique, too much "individual movement" of members which cannot be critiqued member-to-member, etc.

I wish their visual design team would show the same kind of faith in their members that the staffs of other top 5 programs like Crown and Cadets do, and write something that is both excellent and risky. Something that would push the performers to their limits, with fewer shortcuts designed to win and more wow factor for the audience.

All that being said, I think they have the most talent and will likely win at finals.

Crown's show is amazing to watch. They are pushing their kids to perform something as difficult as I have ever seen on the field. The comparisons to '91 Star are deserved. Their brass has that wonderful sound they have become known for when they are playing the Copland , but for the rest of the show they leave me a little flat. Sometimes it seems like they are playing difficulty for difficulty's sake and it has less "soul" than their shows of the past few years. They have written a monster of a show, and if it was performed flawlessly they would be a shoe-in. While some corps shoot for a perfect swan dive, Crown has opted to try for a slightly messy triple-lindy. More power to them for tackling the nearly impossible and doing a #### good job with it.

Cadets have one of the best all-around packages for me this year. The music is wonderfully written, the theme runs the range from fun to sentimental to goosebump city flawlessly, and their visual package is (pun intended) a sight to behold. Most fun Cadets program in years and a huge crowd favorite. :babies:

Regiment and Vanguard live up to their reputations as well. Turandot is lush and wonderful. Starry Night is gorgeous. They both have fantastic visual programs, tons and tons of audience appeal, and are hugely successful.

This is my favorite top 6 in a long long time, and the medals are within reach of all of them. It's going to be a very exciting finish to the season!