Jersey Surf Looking for Donations on Facebook

Jersey Surf's soliciting finds for fuel does not mean that if the funds were not raised, the tour would have to end, or worse, the corps would be stranded. There was no desperation in the pitch or claims of insolvency. My hunch is that they are raising funds for fuel this year, so that the funds already allocated can be used for other purposes. Another clue would be looking at the donor amounts. There were enough donations to make them pass the 50% mark before they began soliciting, or at least it appeared that way. Non-profits often find a major donor first because it builds the confidence of other people giving and shows the organization is sound. To me, it's no different than the "Old School Challenge" and I have yet to see a post that claims Madison, BAC, or BK will be hitchhiking home if funds are not raised. Spending a good portion of the preseason hyping people about a show, raising funds while momentum for the corps is high, selling Banana Stixs at a dollar a pop, knowing people will probably say keep the change, coupons for discounts on t-shirts all point to a good team that knows how to market a non-profit.

If it's true about what some have said regarding dues, I have all the respect in the world for a kid who struggles to pay and may do so in dribs and drabs or with sponsors, less so for those who stiff a corps, but if thy stiff Jersey Surf this year, they probably won't have a home next year. A local band director told me about ten of his brass players are going to East Coast Classic just to meet Surf staff and inquire about next year, so deadbeats may find there's no room.

• Like 1

It would be rather embarrassing for Bob Jacobs, since he is also on the DCI staff, if Surf was not responsible with their cash flow. That alone means that he is more than likely staying on top of things in a responsible manner.

• Like 1

1343828398[/url]' post='3191185']

It would be rather embarrassing for Bob Jacobs, since he is also on the DCI staff, if Surf was not responsible with their cash flow. That alone means that he is more than likely staying on top of things in a responsible manner.

Please realize that this is the first year Surf has done a full tour. They usually took 2 weeks mid July off. This is the first year to go to San Antonio so they were just looking for extra funds to help retrofit the food truck for on site cooking and for the extra fuel to make the extra miles to Texas. They are an amazing corps and I have all the respect in the world for their staff and parent volunteers. They are amazing!

The only reason I started this topic is because others on the Teal Sound topic wished they had known about the corps needs so they could have tried to help.

Looking forward to Allentown and my very own pair on bananas stix!!!!!!!

Looking at past history of Surf...if there is any corps director who manages finances well, it is Bob Jacobs. Surf has a long history of being fiscally responsible.

• Like 1

I believe Surf has a larger fleet this summer than in years past, and they are taking the longest tour in corps history, the fuel fund is surely to just defray the massive costs. Surf owns their fleet of buses, I think they had to buy a fifth bus to get down the road this summer. Four for the kids, and one staff bus. In the pre-season I know the plan was 5 buses, equipment truck, food truck, souvie trailer, executive RV and I think one family was taking an RV.

Jersey Surf's soliciting finds for fuel does not mean that if the funds were not raised, the tour would have to end, or worse, the corps would be stranded. There was no desperation in the pitch or claims of insolvency. My hunch is that they are raising funds for fuel this year, so that the funds already allocated can be used for other purposes. Another clue would be looking at the donor amounts. There were enough donations to make them pass the 50% mark before they began soliciting, or at least it appeared that way. Non-profits often find a major donor first because it builds the confidence of other people giving and shows the organization is sound. To me, it's no different than the "Old School Challenge" and I have yet to see a post that claims Madison, BAC, or BK will be hitchhiking home if funds are not raised. Spending a good portion of the preseason hyping people about a show, raising funds while momentum for the corps is high, selling Banana Stixs at a dollar a pop, knowing people will probably say keep the change, coupons for discounts on t-shirts all point to a good team that knows how to market a non-profit.

If it's true about what some have said regarding dues, I have all the respect in the world for a kid who struggles to pay and may do so in dribs and drabs or with sponsors, less so for those who stiff a corps, but if thy stiff Jersey Surf this year, they probably won't have a home next year. A local band director told me about ten of his brass players are going to East Coast Classic just to meet Surf staff and inquire about next year, so deadbeats may find there's no room.

Exactly this. Pretty sure that Bob planned on using this as just another income source this year. It's really no different than the fuel fund cans at every souvie stand, just writ large. Not to mention that Surf is doing a booming business (so I have heard) on souvie sales this year... not just Banana Stix either! :)

1344182372[/url]' post='3194889']

Love shared. I encourage everyone who prefers the kind of show that Surf is doing this year and who believes in this program to show support by voting with their wallets and sharing the love.

Thank you!! The feeling in the stands was electric last night. The ovation went on until Surf left the field. Those kids certainly felt the loved being bestowed on them from the Allentown crowd.