Muchachos disqualfication controversy

Huh? Are we talking about 1975? On corpsreps.com, Madison is shown in first place in prelims, winning by .8, with Santa Clara in second place: DCI World Championships - Prelims

Nope. I said they lost to SCV at Whitewater Prelims, which is correct

Edited by mobrien

Huh? Are we talking about 1975? On corpsreps.com, Madison is shown in first place in prelims, winning by .8, with Santa Clara in second place: DCI World Championships - Prelims

Nope. I said they lost to SCV at Whitewater Prelims, which is correct

Yup, you'll see my edit below that line in which I noted exactly that.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is still amazing to me. I don't believe that people actually read what I had said, but decided to take their desired information out of context. As for overage members, I do know the names of the people who spoke to me and if anyone would like to discuss this with me I would not have a problem speaking with them. I do not like to publish information about other corps members themselves on line (except Romeo, he deserves what ever he gets) Most of these people spoke to me in trust, so I would have to insist the same consideration for who ever speaks with me. My name is Steve Horne, for you Madisonites you can ask Steve Vickers about me, he knows me well. And can vouch for my level of sanity. (Unless you have some problem with Mr. V then you can go F yourself)

My personal email is shorne1@optonline.net (please no spam)

I played contra in the Muchachos for 6 years.

And you should know that I was not an advocate of marching overage members or anything else I was accused of. I felt that the way my corps was treated was capricious and arbitrary. It hurt people badly for how it was handled and it was a tragedy for those of us who did not get the opportunity to play that night and destroyed the corps for the future. (We were so far in debt and had to pay fines and give up prize money.) As for the martyr statement, I for one was never looking for martyr status. I as most people would rather be appreciated for what I did rather that what I didn’t do. (I had been in finals before so to correct a later email statement)

DCI and those people who are involved in it today should look at themselves and maybe if there is a little bit of humility, they should recognize that the overzealous reaction of that morning and the arbitrary nature of what took place is a black mark on this activity and its almost 30 years to late to do anything about it. But maybe someone can try.

Stephen C. Horne

Hawthorne Muchachos

’73 – ’78 (And yes there was a 78 Muchachos)

Wow, this is still amazing to me. I don't believe that people actually read what I had said, but decided to take their desired information out of context. As for overage members, I do know the names of the people who spoke to me and if anyone would like to discuss this with me I would not have a problem speaking with them. I do not like to publish information about other corps members themselves on line (except Romeo, he deserves what ever he gets) Most of these people spoke to me in trust, so I would have to insist the same consideration for who ever speaks with me. My name is Steve Horne, for you Madisonites you can ask Steve Vickers about me, he knows me well. And can vouch for my level of sanity. (Unless you have some problem with Mr. V then you can go F yourself)

And you should know that I was not an advocate of marching overage members or anything else I was accused of. I felt that the way my corps was treated was capricious and arbitrary. It hurt people badly for how it was handled and it was a tragedy for those of us who did not get the opportunity to play that night and destroyed the corps for the future. (We were so far in debt and had to pay fines and give up prize money.) As for the martyr statement, I for one was never looking for martyr status. I as most people would rather be appreciated for what I did rather that what I didn’t do. (I had been in finals before so to correct a later email statement)

DCI and those people who are involved in it today should look at themselves and maybe if there is a little bit of humility, they should recognize that the overzealous reaction of that morning and the arbitrary nature of what took place is a black mark on this activity and its almost 30 years to late to do anything about it. But maybe someone can try.

Stephen C. Horne

Hawthorne Muchachos

Boo hoo hoo.............cry me a river. You play the victim/martyr role very nicely. Too bad you were the victim of your own corps management. Yet you blame DCI for being "overzealous" for enforcing their own rules, instead of arrogant corps management who thought themselves above those very rules? Ironic.

Carrie-Luz-Rodriguez.jpg

• 2 months later...

I confess! In 1975, the drum major of our corps was overaged, he was also my brother. Can we please have all of our 1975 season deleted from the record books. Oh wait, we aren't IN any record books.

Rocketman - Too #### Old

ampssuck

Stephen C. Horne

Hawthorne Muchachos

Steve,

First, the 1975 Muchachos = one word Great!

Unfortunately the errors of a few affected so many.

Thirty years later your passion is obvious and appreciated.

This was the corps that I listen to over and over, the excitement

and demand in the musical and visual program set new standards.

I fell DCI should have handle this matter differently,

they did for other corps.

Some of us will never forgot the greatness of the Muchachos,

and not “the issue’s” outside of, most of the members control.

When we look at the news from around the world and see and

hear from the homeless children, with nothing? We should all be thankful,

for what we have, including the memories of the great Muchachos.

No "Black Mark" with me, just RESPECT!

Yes there was/is to little respect for individual corps and almost

joy and destroying others.

But memories last a life time. inspite of the the politics.

If, however there really were, “twenty plus” overage members,

Management did not do there job, and the legal members

unfortunately paid the price.

Edited by boston1977

• 1 month later...
hahah

the boos were mild compared to the terror that Muchs tried to instillinthe back stands and the spit and jeers raining from 27th's busses as they passed by following finale. A lot of young guys in Green were tauhgt how to use thier buckles as weapons that night. A lot of old guys were happy that they had kept the edges ready. :P

YOu are right though ... it took balls for a guy who marched with Sac to turn in one of his older mentors.

What crap dude............I was there!!!!....and in the Mucs!!!

Wow, MAJOR flashbacks here..

I marched in the Cavaliers in 1976 remembering vividly standing on the starting line at DCI finals hearing all the boo's and having everything but the kitchen sink thrown at us. I remember marching to the back of the field (a group of Muchacho's were grouped in the back upper deck stands in the front rows) and a mouth piece hit my horn denting it. Couldn't believe someone actually threw their mouth piece at us! It was raining hot dogs, coins, paper cups, everything...

Inspiring, yes. We played our butts off. In fact, the boo's inspired us in prelims too. We took 5th overall, 4th in horns. Pretty good during those "tougher" days in Cavalier history. But in finals, some judge made some questionable scores and we fell to 7th with 27th and Bridgemen beating us.

After finale, as we walked to our busses, some words were exchanged between some Muchacho's and us. Also, some idiot put their busses right next to ours. Let's just say that the words being said are not printable on this site. At one point we had enough and some of the "older" guys told us to take our shirts off and get off the busses but cooler heads prevailed and corp management to us to sit our butts down, the busses were started and we were out of there. Good thing too. Remember, we were 128 guys mostly from Chicago. They had a few guys but some girls were amoungst their ranks too. It would have been ugly!!!

Not one of the more "prettier" times in drum corp history.

Again....more crap................the guys in our drum line could have stomped your whole corps!