I love Blue Devils!

I just wonder what will the final ending of this show be? it's good they added a little more power to the last push but the slow ending as it is is quite interesting. I really love that they let the hula hoops roll by them self and die out so to speak.

I've actually been wondering if there's a 2004 in the works, with a surprise ending.

After reading some of the comments here on DCP, I totally expected to hate the show, but the opposite happened...

I friggin' LOVED it!

When I finally saw it earlier this week I had a huge smile on my face the entire time. I thought the entire show, top to bottom, was absolutely BRILLIANT and performed at an extraordinarily high level.

The 2012 Blue Devils are off the charts amazing.

Thank you blue team!

• Like 6

1344007647[/url]' post='3193033']

After reading some of the comments here on DCP, I totally expected to hate the show, but the opposite happened...

I friggin' LOVED it!

When I finally saw it earlier this week I had a huge smile on my face the entire time. I thought the entire show, top to bottom, was absolutely BRILLIANT and performed at an extraordinarily high level.

The 2012 Blue Devils are off the charts amazing.

Thank you blue team!

I am glad you like it.

I just dropped my son off at jazz school in Lafayette and was wearing my BD hat and a Zappa shirt. This kid came up to me and said those were the two coolest thing he has seen all day and that he is in BDC. We got to talking and i told him i am the fist snare for BDC (cadet corps).

I love it when i meet C corps kids!

I didn't get to see BD live at a show this year. Wish I could have. I wonder if a decade from now the tide will turn and the show will be recognized as a classic. This happened with '93 Star.

I love the staging of this show. It's sort of winter guard-ish in parts, but who cares...winter guard is a crazy innovative activity. The staging and pacing of this show is refreshing. So many really good aha moments...little effects, little things. This show makes you work a little, makes you pay attention to see everything going on and I like that. I also really appreciate all the ensemble interaction. It's a very integrated show. And the ending... I hope they don't change it much, because I think it's a great ending and true to the spirit of dada art. If it ends up being loud and furious like most drum corps endings, that would be pretty un-dada. I also appreciate the restraint in design. After x number of rifle tosses, there is a law of diminishing returns that kicks in. BD has fewer tosses than a lot of other corps, but they are staged in such a way to create maximum impact. Overall, I really like this show so much. I like Crown a lot, too. I believe it's going to be really close at finals. I will be happy no matter who wins.

Re: the ending....when I heard the final voice over, I thought it said, "Dada is a lie" If I heard correctly, I was thinking they could move that to about a minute earlier, and just do an extravaganza "loud and furious" ending.

• Like 1

Ilove how the hoola hoops just go rolling away and stop moving! Brilliant ending i think. Because it died out just like that.

Sure dada will be around but will come and go.

One of the cool aspects of BD's show that I haven't seen a lot of people talk about is the progress the corps makes. They start the show without full uniforms on and a lot of chaos musically and visually. As they go through the show things get less chaotic until finally they BECOME the Blue Devils of the past with their full uniforms on and their awesome rendition of Bird and Bela in B Flat.

I have not yet figured out how that exactly fits in with Dada or what their overall theme is, but I think it is an example of how deep this show is. I know some don't like having to think about drum corps, but I love art that makes me think and wrestle with different ideas. While I would HATE it if every World Class corps did shows as dense as BDs is this year (and has been over the last several years), I would also HATE it if there wasn't a corps like BD pushing the envelops with this year's genius show (at least I consider it genius).

In the end, the voice over says words to the effect "da da is still alive" just as the soloist who was strong the entire show, slowly fades, and the corps comes to a complete stop. After the corps stops an the music is over, there are a few hoops which shoot off in different directions, then run out of steam and just fall over.

+++

You really have to see the show live to appreciate how much the miked solo trumpets/flugal dominates the music. This show WOULD NOT work without the solos being miked. You just don't get that on the small screen, but the show is one of the most brilliant I have ever witnessed. After watching their show, I feel a little smarter, because the show is so interesting and I feel like I truly do get it, because it makes me think, after making me feel.

Awesome show.

Re: the ending....when I heard the final voice over, I thought it said, "Dada is a lie" If I heard correctly, I was thinking they could move that to about a minute earlier, and just do an extravaganza "loud and furious" ending.

Dada is ALIVE! ;)

You gotta ditch those cheap computer speakers. :cool:

• Like 4

That would be great. I don't agree with the assumption that this show is praising or imitating Dada. Parts of it certainly are, but Satie isn't Dada and the jazz piece they play at the end certainly isn't. There is way too much in this show to be written off (as some have) as just a bunch of nonsense Dada.