The Bluecoats show is amazing this year

Watch this video and you'll appreciate the voiceovers and the show even more. thumbup.gif

I saw that video and it didn’t help me appreciate the voice-overs; it kind of turned me off even more. I dunno, kind of pushes the entire ‘broken band geek myth’ thing as behind the mask are all these negative emotions. Not every kid in band feels angry, lost, damaged, insecure or abandoned…it comes off very one dimensional, emotionally forced and immature. Yeah, I get that’s the tone of the music but it feels like faux drama for a cheap GE effect. I’d appreciate it more as perhaps general teenage angst or maybe even a reaction to their staff defection to another corps

When I first heard it live it sounded like a radio ad for anti-depressant and I expected a medical disclaimer to follow and I still can’t shake that

• Like 1

show is based on something the program coordinator saw. All these people were at a party/gathering and were all wearing masks. under the masks written on their face was a word about them (a fear or insecurity maybe). as the people removed their masks the found others with the same word as them or something like that.

It has nothing to do with a broken band geek or any other fake emotions. It is about the things we all hide behind our own masks everyday.

• Like 7

I saw that video and it didn't help me appreciate the voice-overs; it kind of turned me off even more. I dunno, kind of pushes the entire 'broken band geek myth' thing as behind the mask are all these negative emotions. Not every kid in band feels angry, lost, damaged, insecure or abandoned…it comes off very one dimensional, emotionally forced and immature. Yeah, I get that's the tone of the music but it feels like faux drama for a cheap GE effect. I'd appreciate it more as perhaps general teenage angst or maybe even a reaction to their staff defection to another corps

When I first heard it live it sounded like a radio ad for anti-depressant and I expected a medical disclaimer to follow and I still can't shake that

Bah humbug, Scrooge! And what is YOUR mask hiding? Maybe the show hits a little too close to home? satisfied.gif

Just kidding. All opinions should be respected.

Knowing how much this show means to the corps I can say with certainty there is nothing "faux" about it.

• Like 1

I saw that video and it didn’t help me appreciate the voice-overs; it kind of turned me off even more. I dunno, kind of pushes the entire ‘broken band geek myth’ thing as behind the mask are all these negative emotions. Not every kid in band feels angry, lost, damaged, insecure or abandoned…it comes off very one dimensional, emotionally forced and immature. Yeah, I get that’s the tone of the music but it feels like faux drama for a cheap GE effect. I’d appreciate it more as perhaps general teenage angst or maybe even a reaction to their staff defection to another corps

When I first heard it live it sounded like a radio ad for anti-depressant and I expected a medical disclaimer to follow and I still can’t shake that

its not just about a band feel, as you put it. everyone has insecurities and things they keep hidden, no matter how confident they seem.

Don't like it. Period.

For most of the year, I have expressed my opinion that the Bluecoats show didn't do much for me. It always felt a little one note throughout the whole thing, and I am not typically a fan of using voiceovers for the purpose of explaining the theme of the show.

Tonight I went back and watched their Atlanta show again (without watching all the other shows before and after them), and I have to say that I have completely changed my mind. It is a beautiful show that is very moving. I have to admit that I came close to tears as I realized the "UnMasQuesed" message they were trying to share. It had a very personal effect on me.

So ... I take back all the negative things I have said in the past about the Bluecoats. Bravo to whoever designed that show. It is awesome.

P.S. On another note, I highly recommend going back to the fan network and watching shows in isolation. I think a lot can be missed when you watch so many shows back to back. I certainly know I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the Bluecoats until I watched their show by itself.

• Like 1

show is based on something the program coordinator saw. All these people were at a party/gathering and were all wearing masks. under the masks written on their face was a word about them (a fear or insecurity maybe). as the people removed their masks the found others with the same word as them or something like that.

It has nothing to do with a broken band geek or any other fake emotions. It is about the things we all hide behind our own masks everyday.

sounds like a buzz kill of a party then, must have been the set up to the game

Facetiousness.

Bart Simpson: Eh, making teenagers depressed is like shooting fish in a barrel

it’s OK all you broken Bloooer, lash out and red check me

Anomalously.

Cowardly.

make me Hurt like you Hurt

From behind your masks

• Like 1

sounds like a buzz kill of a party then, must have been the set up to the game

Facetiousness.

Bart Simpson: Eh, making teenagers depressed is like shooting fish in a barrel

it’s OK all you broken Bloooer, lash out and red check me

Anomalously.

Cowardly.

make me Hurt like you Hurt

From behind your masks

It's like you're writing words without any care of sentence structure or coherent thought. Bloo's show is based on insecurities and overcoming them. Some of us could learn from this...