When did musical arrangement get complex?

I have noticed, from watching fan network videos, that in the past the musical arrangements most corps used were pretty straight forward. By straight forward, I mean faithful to the original work. A corps would take a piece of music, arrange it for the instrumentation of the corps, and play it in much the same way an orchestra or band would.

Today, it seems like a lot of the arrangements corps are using vary from the original work quite a bit. Take, for example, The Cavaliers 1995 version of The Planets and SCV's version of the planets this year. The Cavies treatment of the music was very straight forward (and awesome), while SCV has done quite a few modifications.

Do people have a preference for one approach over another? I personally love the treatment SCV gives The Planets, but I could see how someone would prefer a more faithful arrangement. As I heard someone say, a drum corps arranger is probably not going to be able to make a lot of improvements to a piece composed by Stravinsky. On the other hand, the medium is different and perhaps an expert drum corps arranger can take Stravinsky's genius and modify it to fit better on the field.

Thoughts?

Edited by jasgre2000

The modified versions of songs can allow for better continuity and flow in a show. If there is an overlying theme or motif, this can be brought forth multiple times without having segmented shows.

This.

I like the planets, but hearing the same Mars theme over and over doesn't make for happy judges or fans, probably. Plus, there's hints of it through the whole show in the pit and in the battery. Cool stuff!

I love the free arrangements being done now days! I don't want to lose the traditional stuff either for those that want it but the creativity is really progressive and is paving the way for future composers.

My son would be on tour with BDB right now but he got a scholarship to a very good jazz school on guitar plus he is the pit captain at school so...

Does anyone know when corps starting liberties with their arrangements? I like to go back and see these types of trends develop.

Both are cool but I think part of has to do with the GE caption. I have heard tapes where judges complain about developments that are too long even if it is being true to the composers original intent. But it takes advanced ears to appreciate long builds/sustained phrases more than the short burst but even those need an attuned ear.

Does anyone know when corps starting liberties with their arrangements? I like to go back and see these types of trends develop.

Blue Devils 1994. Go watch that show, that's kind of looked to as the birth of the modern arranging style. Good show too

• Like 1

Both are cool but I think part of has to do with the GE caption. I have heard tapes where judges complain about developments that are too long even if it is being true to the composers original intent. But it takes advanced ears to appreciate long builds/sustained phrases more than the short burst but even those need an attuned ear.

It's been said before, "Drum Corps. isn't ready for Bruckner".

It's been said before, "Drum Corps. isn't ready for Bruckner".

Too bad. Could you imagine a full Mahler/Bruckner show? So many long phrases and tension!!!! Would love it! :thumbup:

I have noticed, from watching fan network videos, that in the past the musical arrangements most corps used were pretty straight forward. By straight forward, I mean faithful to the original work. A corps would take a piece of music, arrange it for the instrumentation of the corps, and play it in much the same way an orchestra or band would.

Today, it seems like a lot of the arrangements corps are using vary from the original work quite a bit. Take, for example, The Cavaliers 1995 version of The Planets and SCV's version of the planets this year. The Cavies treatment of the music was very straight forward (and awesome), while SCV has done quite a few modifications.

Do people have a preference for one approach over another? I personally love the treatment SCV gives The Planets, but I could see how someone would prefer a more faithful arrangement. As I heard someone say, a drum corps arranger is probably not going to be able to make a lot of improvements to a piece composed by Stravinsky. On the other hand, the medium is different and perhaps an expert drum corps arranger can take Stravinsky's genius and modify it to fit better on the field.

Thoughts?

Honestly, I would call a "faithful" arrangement closer to a transcription, if you're taking the exact phrasing and just making it playable for any given ensemble. Nothing wrong with that...sometimes transcriptions (or arrangements that closely resemble such) make for great music.

I don't consider arranging a modification of anyone's work. Although by definition, modify means to alter; socially it implies change needed to be done because your original product was not up to par. I think our copyright system defines it best, as a "derivative work"...a musical creation that originates with the composer's specific musical work. Someone else pointed it out nicely...the flow of a show design runs more smoothly with these creative works derived from original concepts, instead of straight-foward, "faithful" arrangements.

Personally, I enjoy both a great deal! As a composer, I'd love to one day hear all the different arrangements that other composer/arrangers could derive from my works.

Side note, slightly related...Danny Elfman mentioned in an interview how if he could write variations upon variations on each of the themes he composed for Edward Scissorhands, he would do so. Makes you wonder...if you compose a piece, your own arrangement of it later on could be considered a variation, instead of an arrangement. Some composers, though, would prefer all (or certain pieces of) their work not be touched, to conserve the original intent of the music.

I like what Drum Corps does, and I love hearing the old school arrangement/transcriptions as well! I just don't think an arranger ever looks to "improve" any piece they are arranging, even in contract situations. But that's my opinion.