Dear Show Designers

the result of clear channel in our society. get out there and listen to other music. You'll be glad you did.

Part of the problem is that the current crop of judges, for the most part, are not familiar with nor do they listen to, pop and pop/rock music. They listen to classical, wind ensemble, and some jazz.

I was on the brass staff at Teal Sound in 2009 and 2010. The 2009 show included music from Janet Jackson, Coldplay, Blue man Group, Justin Timberlake, and Christina Aguilara. The 2010 show was music from Dream Theater, Jordan Rudess, and Coheed & Cambria.

I cannot tell you how many times we ran into music judges that not only weren't familiar with these kinds of music, but hadn't even heard of those artists, Aguilara and Timberlake included. And they are Grammy winners!

Heck, the arrangements included very little "drumcorps-ization". They weren't hack-and-slash. They were practically transcriptions.

Judges would tell us to "jazz up" or "punch up the swing" despite the fact that there was no jazz or swing in the show AT ALL. We'd give the judges lists of the source material to listen too, and in one case, gave a USB thumb drive with all of the original music on it. The result? Yep, you guessed it. Nothing.

I am one of the biggest proponents of using music from non traditional sources you'll ever find. There s incredible music right now on the Billboard charts, pop, rock, jazz, etc. There is some amazing music in video games (the new soundtrack). I fully believe that until we have a MAJOR overhaul of the judging community, either with new personnel or via an extensive change in training, with a REQUIREMENT that judges, especially music judges, be familiar with non-traditional genres, corps that try new things will never be rewarded. Especially if they are from outside the top few corps.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 7

Yep... also think that, with the right arrangement, KoC would be epic. I always imagine the restatement of the main theme at 3:18 as an epic brass hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdaOpHNM7fY

Judges would tell us to "jazz up" or "punch up the swing" despite the fact that there was no jazz or swing in the show AT ALL. We'd give the judges lists of the source material to listen too, and in one case, gave a USB thumb drive with all of the original music on it. The result? Yep, you guessed it. Nothing.

This is a great post, but I'm less interested in pleasing the judges than having something cool on my iPod. But I see where you are coming from -- it's tough to design a "fan friendly" show, when you know it's going to get hammered by the judges.

I just want to have more fun watching shows.

• Like 1

This is a great post, but I'm less interested in pleasing the judges than having something cool on my iPod. But I see where you are coming from -- it's tough to design a "fan friendly" show, when you know it's going to get hammered by the judges.

I just want to have more fun watching shows.

I'm with you, but this is a judge-driven activity. Until that changes, we'll never have the variety we both wish we could have. Believe me, the brass staff at Teal worked really hard, and the kids worked even harder, to give you shows you'd be happy to have on your iPod.

We knew, especially in 2010, that the judges would hate it. Being the first year in World Class, we knew we had a competitive "freebie". Everyone expected the corps do finish dead last, so we were in a no-lose situation. So we fielded a show anyone could love (or hate)

Of course, we had the rock band stuff in there too, which made it all the better.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

Tell me this wouldn't be cool in a "spy" show . . .(the entire album could work in parts, really, especially with all the electronic effects):

I'd +1 this if I could. How fun. The chorus doesn't really go where you think it's going to go, which makes it interesting.

I cannot tell you how many times we ran into music judges that not only weren't familiar with these kinds of music, but hadn't even heard of those artists, Aguilara and Timberlake included. And they are Grammy winners!

Man, that's what's wrong with judging in a nutshell there. Thank you for sharing that; it explains a *lot* to me.

The creative people in the idiom are apparently handcuffed by people awarding scores who can't even be bothered to turn on their radio . . .much less find some of these acts via "trickle down" through something like NPRs new band profiles or something similar.

"New" is apparently rewarded if it fits into a tiny avant-garde band or jazz compartment.

The sheets may have changed for the better, but the people who write the numbers down sound like they need to as well. :smile:

Yikes.