Dear Show Designers

Man, that's what's wrong with judging in a nutshell there. Thank you for sharing that; it explains a *lot* to me.

I do want to be clear that it's not all music judges, just a vast majority of the ones we came across. It was worse in 2009 when the corps was still in Open Class (dealing with judges that year was a nightmare that resulted in a lot of late nights at the bar decompressing). Percussion judges seem to be far more open to different things stylistically.

Yep... also think that, with the right arrangement, KoC would be epic. I always imagine the restatement of the main theme at 3:18 as an epic brass hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdaOpHNM7fY

Oh yes! This (5:20)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8-M2_5qgto

Plus brass!

• Like 3

:thumbup:

. . .One Winged Angel from FFVII. Someone needs to do it.

Now THAT was awesome!! Cudo's to Blue Stars!! And thank you, bawker, for posting that...I had NO idea...

The Final Fantasy series has a whole slew of music that could be used by a good drum corps design team and I agree...One-Winged Angel would be great.

Here is a symphonic version:

• Like 1

<snipped the video>

:thumbup:

. . .One Winged Angel from FFVII. Someone needs to do it.

Dangit Bawk! I need the ability to +1 your posts! That was a great show

You could do MULTIPLE shows just from Nobuo Uematsu's catalog of video game music. Imagine if a corps played the Black Mages' arrangement of his songs! lol

Edited by SDBassCreature

I was on the brass staff at Teal Sound in 2009 and 2010. The 2009 show included music from Janet Jackson, Coldplay, Blue man Group, Justin Timberlake, and Christina Aguilara. The 2010 show was music from Dream Theater, Jordan Rudess, and Coheed & Cambria.

Absolutely loved Teal's 2010 show! Of course I am intimately familiar with Dream Theater's music seeing as how I have roughly 8 of their albums and numerous side projects by the members.

I do want to be clear that it's not all music judges, just a vast majority of the ones we came across. It was worse in 2009 when the corps was still in Open Class (dealing with judges that year was a nightmare that resulted in a lot of late nights at the bar decompressing). Percussion judges seem to be far more open to different things stylistically.

Just a guess...I've seen it in the band world...I bet some of these judges think of popular music as 'less than' when it come to crediting what you do, just because it is 'popular' vs 'serious'.

• Like 1

Dangit Bawk! I need the ability to +1 your posts!

You could do MULTIPLE shows just from Nobuo Uematsu's catalog of video game music. Imagine if a corps played the Black Mages' arrangement of his songs! lol

Imagine the opera aria from FFVI:

. . for those of you not familiar with Final Fantasy, it's drawn from this (and yes, that's a Super Nintendo game :tongue: ):

So much good music, and that's just from Square/Enix games.

Teal Sound + slightly-pared down "The Tragic Prince" from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night = perfect fit.

Yes. Even the allegedly "innovative" corps are still giving us the same old, same old. And no, running the same old material through the DC arranging food processor and festooning it with wacky synthesizer effects is not innovative. Not that that's always bad, far from it, but it does get old.

For every rehash that's great there are four more that are insipid at best and disastrous at worst. I'd love to see more corps taking risks and expanding the drum corps repertoire beyond the inbred realm of wind band music and even beyond symphonic. Not just pop/rock . . . but everything. Opera (thanks Phantom!), country (thanks Music City!), blues, etc. Even in standard drum corps genres like latin, jazz, or orchestral there's vast amounts of music that have been untouched by drum corps. Kenton, Copland, the Malaguena, etc. are all great, but please give us a break from these and explore a little.

• Like 4