Dear Show Designers

True, but...

The onus is on the judge just as much as the designer. How many judges refuse to reward out-of-the-box design choices even when done well? Heck, how many local circuits are famous for "You can't play X music in this circuit if you want to score well"? I've seen bands crucified for playing non-classical, non-wind-band, non-package programs, even when they play them better than every other band.

I do think there are judges, especially in WGI and DCI, that will give you the benefit of the doubt. But man, they are rare. Nola happens to be one of them. She's dynamite.

yes if done well, the judge should reward it. But that doesn't man they have to know it. The key is getting the judges to judge whats there, not what they want there, and for designers to lay it out in a way that makes sense.

I'll admit I dont know a lot of the stuff the corps are playing this year, and I won't know everything any bands I see will be playing this year. I don't have the time to go dig it all up. I'll look at what they present, and how they present it, and go from there. if for me, on effect, it communicates, visual and audio corrdinate, etc, who gives a #### what they are playing?

I've seen good wind ensemble. I've seen bad wind ensemble. I'veseen people pay thousandsfor names to write their shows their kids can't play. You've heard me say this in indoor: " I don't care if you bought your show from Box 6...your kids can't play it".

yes if done well, the judge should reward it. But that doesn't man they have to know it. The key is getting the judges to judge whats there, not what they want there, and for designers to lay it out in a way that makes sense.

I'm with you and I agree, but...having at least some familiarity with the music or musical style can give the judge additional insight, and may lead to giving additional credit (if it's designed and performed well), or additional criticism (if it isn't).

My band is playing Rush, and we're throwing down some YYZ. You're on the panel (thank the band gods). You're going to know when the time signatures, chord progressions, and grooves are right. Some other judge who hates Rush, or doesn't know them won't.

So it can matter. Not always, but...

• Like 1

We need more RUSH it can be done! And what is so wrong with mixing old school with new? I find it refreshing and I enjoy the way Madison is pulling it off this year!

We need more RUSH it can be done! And what is so wrong with mixing old school with new? I find it refreshing and I enjoy the way Madison is pulling it off this year!

A bunch of us at Teal in 2010 were talking about pitching a Rush show for 2011. That would have been something else.

Hey John, I would've enjoyed that! I would like to see your band perform yyz when you get it finished!

Just a guess...I've seen it in the band world...I bet some of these judges think of popular music as 'less than' when it come to crediting what you do, just because it is 'popular' vs 'serious'.

I found myself torn on this topic after just my first year teaching elementary music. I want to engage my students, but still want them to think about the classics. I found I had to keep an ear to top-40 so I can still keep up with my student's musical interests and keep the older students hooked into my class. And I still find myself thinking some of the new tunes would translate well, but if the judges don't listen to it, why should the corps bother?

Has anyone ever tried something along the lines of Youngblood Brass Band? Fun mix of hip-hop, jazz, funk and all sorts of good stuff.

(hope this works)

Song starts about 30 seconds in

YES! And they wouldn't complain about rights in sync/arrangment/etc.

Trombone Shorty has some good charts. A lot of fusion.

Now that I'm home I've gone back and listened to every clip that was posted just for some perspective. Some I was kind of "meh" on but holy crap there are a couple that when listened to with a drum corps state of mind they can be absolutely incredible!

For example a couple of things I heard:

Foo Fighters 'In Your Honor' - Hornline power chords with a ripping bari solo as the vocals into the big drum hits.

Fun 'Some Nights' - The start of the song could be a sweet hornline shout chorus which makes me think of the 08 Bluecoats' Boxer

Bright Eyes 'Arc of Time' - Almost a salsa kind of feel to it. You could see someone like the Scouts using it as a transitional piece

Those are 3 big ones that stood out to me from the OP. Anybody else have any cool revelation moments like that with some of these clips?