Copyright Issues

23 years of dealing with copyright law every day... I'm clear on this one.

My condolences to your brain cells....although you might have an easier time than dealing with family law...even on the secretarial side (8 years of that....I had less stress looking for a new job after I lost that one! After the layoff, my stress dropped faster than Geneseo Knights 1983 scores after Whitewater....

Edited by 84BDsop

My condolences to your brain cells....although you might have an easier time than dealing with family law...even on the secretarial side (8 years of that....I had less stress looking for a new job after I lost that one! After the layoff, my stress dropped faster than Geneseo Knights 1983 scores after Whitewater....

The interesting thing about that, according to CorpsReps, is that the drop after Whitewater isn't as severe as many of us (including myself) remember it. The corps plunged 6.95 during DCI Midwest, between Prelims and Finals, then dropped another 2.00 the next night. So, most of the almost 9.00 point drop happened while the corps was still in Whitewater.

But then, there was an immediate correction five days later; a jump of 10.60. The problem is that scores utterly stagnated from there on. In 13 days, from Huntington, WV to the DCI Semifinals, the corps' score went up only 3.45 and the corps finished in 16th, allowing many corps to catch them who had been under them at Whitewater Prelims; including Troopers, Crossmen, Sky Ryders, Bridgemen, Cavaliers and Freelancers, plus Alliance, a corps Knights had beaten a week earlier. (Alliance wasn't in Whitewater, but beat Knights by 3.50 in Abington, WV, two days before losing to them by 1.75 in Cary, NC.)

Still, it was a weird season for Knights...a real roller coaster of emotions.

Edited by Michael Boo

Only gets hairy if I do not go for the entire buy out of rights. We also commission most of our work so we own it from the start. From my experience, there is more photos and artwork issues than music.

On another direction, this is actually another great reason for corps to stay non-profit. Companies tend to be more forgiving with non-profits when it comes to rights-usage but they still like for the paperwork to be in order.

Kind of off topic but it does stem here....

With all the "INNOVATION" talk about how drill, movement and electronics have been so new and innovative. I find it odd that corps have not pushed more "ORIGINAL COMPOSITION" works for themselves. I understand that it is cost prohibitive but this would also innovate and expand repertoires in directions that we can only imagine. Also, rights usage comes down to the agreement between the composer and the corps. Robert W. Smith is one of the few that has created original works for Drum Corps.

Forgive my ignorance. I'm as frustrated as anyone when I receive a DVD of a show that was edited for copyright reasons, or can't see a FN recording in the original form. That happens with increasing frequency. With all the other pressing matters in stalemate, I don't really expect Congress to reform the laws to bring them in line with today's digital realities so DCI and the corps will probably be stuck working through the laws as they presently exist for some time to come.

Having said that, what exactly is the timeline here? When are the requests typically submitted and is there a stated timeframe for receiving a response? In the case of Madison last year, I understand they received their "definitive no" in May. OK, maybe that's a bit late to contemplate a major show rewrite, but when would they have needed that answer to go with a more copyright friendly selection? Then, using that date, when would the initial request need to be submitted to the Powers That Be?

Another thing to consider is whether a corps, like Cavies, disclosed to DCI that they were going to use the Bowie sample and DCI staff didn't dot that i when seeking licensing, or whether it was added in as something as an afterthought and -- oops! -- they were found to be in violation?

What's happened is done, but a previous poster is correct: if there are a lot of cuts from the original shows every year, people might choose not to buy the DVD, or they'll at least wait until they hear about the finished product before doing so.

Ouch.....parry-riposte, touche to Boo!

Well played, sir...well played!

:tongue:

I'm now calling a truce. (Remembering, of course, that you're the one with the sharp pointy thingie.)