Copyright Issues

If you really want to cite the Declaration and the Founding Fathers as evidence of your claim that intellectual property is divinely given, then I think a review of the actual thoughts on the subject held by the actual author of the Declaration s warranted:

Alright; but to treat this subject honestly we should cite all of the debates, letters, speeches, et al (especially the literary fights between Madison and Jefferson) that the Founders had on this subject. And if we did that it would show that most of the Founders agreed with Madison and the writings of Locke, not Jefferson, concerning Property Rights (who actually misquoted Locke by replacing the word Property with the phrase Pursuit of Happiness).

I think it is granted by....

a8a113b90541e1033326888ee1cd3348.jpg

I stand corrected.

I have come to the conclusion that it is best to just chuckle at the category of people who claim to be the most respectful and tolerant of others while they are in fact the first to ridicule those who believe in the Divine. :turn:

• Like 1

The language within the clause dealing with how long the time limit of exclusivity should be was meant to be vague so that it could be adjusted as needed. For example: exclusivity remaining for a time period after death was, in part, implemented not only to allow bequeath-ownership to a family member but also to discourage people from knocking-off the original author/composer in order to get their work quicker into the public domain.

You mean in 1976?

I have come to the conclusion that it is best to just chuckle at the category of people who claim to be the most respectful and tolerant of others while they are in fact the first to ridicule those who believe in the Divine. :turn:

I was just making a joking reply to this statement..."Copyright isn't a right granted to you by any deity, magical sky fairy, or The Universe".

I was just making a joking reply to this statement..."Copyright isn't a right granted to you by any deity, magical sky fairy, or The Universe".

which is why thou shalt not allow religion to enter a thread.

no matter what is said, with no matter the degree of benign intent, someone is bound to be offended.

better to just avoid the topic entirely.

I for one have never claimed to be respectful or tolerant of others.

• Like 2

which is why thou shalt not allow religion to enter a thread.

no matter what is said, with no matter the degree of benign intent, someone is bound to be offended.

better to just avoid the topic entirely.

This has nothing to do with religion; it has everything to do with the philosophy of Enlightenment which recognizes Human Rights as being of Divine origin and greatly influenced the Founders of our great nation when they drafted the Constitution of the United States; including Article 1 Section 8 Clause 8 which directly deals with the subject of Copyright.

Understood; a joke is a joke and I was not offended in the least. One of my favorite jokes actually comes from Emo Phillips; it is about how ludicrous people can get with dogma and ends with "Die Heretic, and I pushed him off the bridge". But while it is not okay today in this world of PC to joke about race, orientation, etc... it certainly is an acceptable practice today to continue to joke about people who believe in a Divine Power; a belief which, by the way, greatly influenced the Founders when they drafted the Constitution of the United States through the prism of Enlightenment.

This has nothing to do with religion; it has everything to do with the philosophy of Enlightenment which recognizes Human Rights as being of Divine origin and greatly influenced the Founders of our great nation when they drafted the Constitution of the United States; including Article 1 Section 8 Clause 8 which directly deals with the subject of Copyright.

requiem meam doleat

Edited by corpsband

Understood; a joke is a joke and I was not offended in the least. One of my favorite jokes actually comes from Emo Phillips; it is about how ludicrous people can get with dogma and ends with "Die Heretic, and I pushed him off the bridge". But while it is not okay today in this world of PC to joke about race, orientation, etc... it certainly is an acceptable practice today to continue to joke about people who believe in a Divine Power; a belief which, by the way, greatly influenced the Founders when they drafted the Constitution of the United States through the prism of Enlightenment.

Actually, the founding fathers went out of their way to keep religious influence out of the Constitution. They understood that only society and man-made law could grant rights, and they worked really hard to spell those rights out (taking them several tries and the Bill of Rights to get it correct). No one here is making fun of your beliefs. We;re just pointing out that those beliefs have absolutely no bearing on any of the rights you're granted as a US citizen, and that includes copyright.