Corrupt Judging In DCI?

No corruption, EVER! Never has been and never will be. If you really believe this happens you simply don't know this profession. Judges in the music industry (band, corps, choir, concert band, jazz), take great pride in being professional, adjudicating appropriately, and calling it the way they see it.

You may not like their opinion on a show, or you may have issues with the sheets, but the people behind those green shirts are outstanding. Unless you or anyone else has proof that such a thing takes place I think it's a waste of time to post such hogwash.

Yes, rumors happen, conspiracy is always out there, lots of people simply do not understand how it works. That's their problem.

Again- with all due respect J.----nope

• Like 1

We can play semanticss all day. Okay there may not be corruption. But, there sure is a lot of blatant favoritism for and against certain corps. Thousands of educated ex performers and instructors just can't be that far off as compared to the judges on a show. There really should be a lot more parody in this activity than what we see year after year. Every year you can bet one of only about three corps will win dci. Regardless of what the rest of the corps play or how well they' perform. There is an elite small click of corps that control the activity now. And anyone that is naive to think otherwise just doesn't get it. Prediction, either BD, Cadets or SCV will win dci on 2013.

• Like 2

Nope--

What a well-reasoned argument! We should probably close the thread now, as it is clearly over. 4 letters and two hyphens says it all.

A master-class just happened, people. Right here in this very thread! I hope you were taking notes!

• Like 2

What a well-reasoned argument! We should probably close the thread now, as it is clearly over. 4 letters and two hyphens says it all.

A master-class just happened, people. Right here in this very thread! I hope you were taking notes!

Are you condescending wonka?

• Like 2

Are you condescending wonka?

I have far more in common with an Oompa Loompa.

...a tall one.

......with no hair.

• Like 3

--- Yep (3 letters and 3 hyphens)...**correction made sir**

Edited by scout9193
  • Like 1

Thousands of educated ex performers and instructors just can't be that far off as compared to the judges on a show.

Yes. Yes they can. And they are: thousands of "educated ex-performers and instructors can be, and are often, wrong. The beauty of our activity is that it is mostly subjective. What George Hopkins swears in an impeccably perfect Championship design is not. What Joe Blow swears is a horrible, easy design from Blue Devils this year is actually pretty incredible. People's opinions OFTEN clash with each other, especially in an activity with so many different design and stylistic philosophies. As human beings we tend to think "because I like X better than G, that must obviously mean that X is a far superior product than G."

Thousands of drum corps fans are frequently wrong, or at the very least many drum corps fans can not distinguish between "I like Crown better than Blue Devils" and "Blue Devils perform a better-designed show cleaner than Crown and are therefor better than Crown."

It has nothing to do with any kind of (ridiculous) misconception of "corruption." It has everything to do with a) the average person (regardless of their education or drum corps membership experience) has zero idea in regards to raking/rating drum corps captions based on the criteria of the DCI sheets, b) the few people who actually do understand the sheets are typically caught up in their own bias (i.e. George Hopkins obviously thinks Cadets are great and deserve more points and can't understand why they're not Top 3 currently: note this is not necessarily a bad thing, because it's Hoppy's job to love Cadets and push for them to get more points) and c) the criteria is partly subjective, so naturally a judge is going to have a preference stylistically, or a preference when it comes to characteristic of sound or visual design, etc. It really is that simple, and has nothing to do with goofy claims of corruption.

There really should be a lot more parody in this activity than what we see year after year.

I'm not a big fan of parody of drum corps, because it typically comes at the expensive of truly intelligent design and execution. VK had their moments of parody in the late 80's (and VERY few in the early 90's), and Bridgemen had much better success designing and executing parody in the early 80's. But now-a-days it's not so effective, or at the very least very few people in the activity currently can design parody for drum corps.

• Like 1

40 years of system change - If it were all about business - it would be out of business,

uh things evolve?

Actually, when folks like George Hopkins request judges - It turns into the perception of a lie and corruption. That has been happening for a long time. Same with other corps. I'm not saying it is an issue to favor judges but it is an issue to request favoritism.

Insight into commentary/critique of the Corps from the judges. This is actually another major issue. These comments/critiques should either be written for ALL corps to see, spoke open forum with all corps present (which would be a pain - but it would solve perception) OR not at all. Individual critiques also foster a sense of favoritism.

ok lets turn this around on you.

when you marched, were there not certain judges you wanted to see and didn't want to see?