Silliness

I'm not entirely opposed to electronics at this point, or the spoken/sung word. But as I think about it, the "best of DCI" moments in recent history contains not a single moment when electronics or the spoken/sung word was used. The only possible exception to this is the Bluecoats bari solo.

So, I think Boo is right. Many innovations in concept might work, but its going to take a while to sort out what works, and how it works. The way DCI uses some of these innovations probably will not work out, and for fans that can be unpleasant to watch.

The alternative is to never change anything. In the history of all mankind, can you show me a competitive arena that had zero change over time? Maybe some board games like checkers, but that's all I can think of. The human heart desires to move forward, not stay static.

Once in a blue moon this Boo guy says something that makes sense, in sort of an "a stopped clock is right twice a day" type way. (That reference made a lot more sense before we had digital clocks...since we're speaking of innovations. NOW YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!")

...Wait, are you talking about the satin Blessed Sac look? We used to wear their old uniforms in the New City Commanders ("Sac is back!", although the look and the sound are two different things :-) )

Or the Blue Devils open shirt When A Man Loves A Women look?

Definitely not the Man Loves a Woman look! That was one of my favorite DCI moments. No, I wasn't referring to any particular corps at all. There just seemed to be a proliferation of silky (often Latin-style) shirts/tunics in the 70s and into the 80s. Sometimes the whole corps. Sometimes just the guard and majors. Many were even on display in the DCI Festival Marketplace a couple of weeks back. Do I recall one even belonged to Cavies for a time?

HH

The absolutes on DCP are deafening. Someone doesn't like something (perfectly fine....it's what we do here)....BUT then, to somehow add volume to their point, it's elevated to "this kind of stuff is driving away the audience, etc". That statement is completely unmeasurable and self-serving to the prevailing argument.

I know what you mean. It reminds me of when someone says "this corps sells more seats than that corps".

The OP's point is valid for him/her ......BUT the OP (and others) cannot legitimately use "metrics" to somehow prove their point. In reality, their is no proof that the audience is being driven away, quite the opposite....numbers are up in some Regionals.

Having said that, the OP presents valid points and they are well stated, just don't expect to support them with an unmeasurable metric.

Then to apply the same standard, no metrics can prove the converse either.

• Like 1

Definitely not the Man Loves a Woman look! That was one of my favorite DCI moments. No, I wasn't referring to any particular corps at all. There just seemed to be a proliferation of silky (often Latin-style) shirts/tunics in the 70s and into the 80s. Sometimes the whole corps. Sometimes just the guard and majors. Many were even on display in the DCI Festival Marketplace a couple of weeks back. Do I recall one even belonged to Cavies for a time?

HH

It was a great look for Spanish music and that's about it. (If we are thinking of the same style)

http://alumnicorps.cabs.org/

As to the absolutists on here, I guess that's the downside of literacy in the information age. Any nut can express themselves. (shudder) :-)

We learn to read and write long before we learn to reason.

First of all, Maestro, I finally got around to watching the Cell Phone Concerto clip and it's wonderful. A corps (VK?) could pull this off and it would be a great use of audio.

Ladies and gentlemen, to avoid musical phasing issues, we strongly urge to you now, more than ever, to please turn off or silence all cell phones during the performance. Thank you! :closedeyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies and gentlemen, to avoid musical phasing issues, we strongly urge to you now, more than ever, to please turn off or silence all cell phones during the performance. Thank you! :closedeyes:

Or all call each other at the same time.

• 11 months later...

So I actually noticed a LOT less silliness this year, and even Spirit of Atlanta was more in the Velvet Knights style of yore (loved their show this year). I think the closest in finals was Blue Knights’ Native American poem and maybe Crown’s counting ensemble. (Of course, the silliest thing I saw this season was the Academy’s German dude and “Lola.” So embarrassing.)

Anyone else agree?

• Like 1

“No, no, no… this is silly. No, the whole premise is silly and it is very badly written. I am the senior officer here and I have not had a funny line yet so I am stopping it.” - The Colonel from Monty Python and the Flying Circus

• Like 1

HH

Sounds like you're talking about the satin material used for tops. This was hugely popular in early drum corps because moms made the uniforms.

Excellent post, Hrothgar....

As I have said many times, these kind of things you call "silly" cheapen the entire activity and keep many potential fans away....

But VK wearing red Chuck Taylors and baseball caps and dragging a plastic shark fin around the field back in 1980-whenever was OK?

Not coming out for or against VK or any of the 2013 shows. Just hoping to offer a bit of perspective.

Peace,

Fred O.