2013 Programs

has anyone heard anything about the Boston Crusaders???

has anyone heard anything about the Boston Crusaders???

Chances are it will be music that's been performed by other World Class corps in the past. Not trying to be a jerk, but take a look at their rep's for the last number of years, and you'll find they typically choose music that has been done before.

I hope I am wrong though.

• Like 1

Chances are it will be music that's been performed by other World Class corps in the past. Not trying to be a jerk, but take a look at their rep's for the last number of years, and you'll find they typically choose music that has been done before.

I hope I am wrong though.

Boston over the years has played songs that later other corps have derided to play. As we look at music announced by Corps so far, we see lots of music that's been done before and I see nothing inherently unappealing about this either.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Boston over the years has played songs that later other corps have derided to play. As we look at music announced by Corps so far, we see lots of music that's been done before and I see nothing inherently unspeaking about that either.

I'd like to preface my post by saying that I don't have a huge problem with one corps playing something that another corps has done in the past as long as they perform it well and the arrangement is interesting. Sometimes a new take on previously used material comes off as really cool; other times it doesn't come across so well.

For instance, I really enjoyed Boston's version of Maleguena in 2003 much better than The Cadets version in the same year. Neither was as good as Madison's version, but Boston's version did come off as pretty cool to me. I also enjoyed and appreciated when Boston played Clifton Williams' Fiesta- Symphonic Dance #3 in 1999 and 2000, even though I am particularly fond of the Troopers 1985 version.

I didn't really care for Boston's 2009 Bacchanale versus Phantom Regiment's '90 or '91 versions.

Boston's 2011 Les Miserable music, while done extremely well ( great performance on the solo), didn't connect to me as well as Cadets 1989; the 1812 stuff also has been performed more to my liking by Phantom many times in the past.

Boston's 2012 Pines of Rome and Roman Festivals fell flat for me compared to many versions done by The Cavaliers, Star, and Phantom Regiment.

Part of that due to the fact that I simply LOVE how Jimmer arranges and since he arrange Star's 1991 show, it's hard to compare. Also, Phantom has had some good arrangers as well.

Anyway, the OP is correct; Boston has been consistently borrowing music that was performed successfully by other corps since 1998 and it works for them.

What has Boston played that some other corps has later played too?

Boston played Les Miz before Cadets did for one . If we go to Corpsreps site youIll see lots of music they played that later others did SCV is doing Les Miz and I 'm looking forward to it this year Corps now are constrained by the visual , so I rarely see ANY of the corps newer versions as appealing as earlier versions

• Like 1

Boston played Les Miz before Cadets did for one . If we go to Corpsreps site youIll see lots of music they played that later others did SCV is doing Les Miz and I 'm looking forward to it this year Corps now are constrained by the visual , so I rarely see ANY of the corps newer versions as appealing as earlier versions

Ah, ok.

Gotta say that Cadet's 1989 Les Miserables ( Robert Smith) horn book was pretty special, which is what I'm looking for in arrangements that have been performed a good bit.

For me, it's all in the arrangements. There can be more than one great arrangement,

Looks like Boston played Fiddler on the Roof before SCV. Unfortunately, I don't have access to Boston's version to compare.

I'm looking forward to SCV's version of Les Miserables as well, I have a feeling that the musical arrangements will be pretty special.

Ah, ok.

Gotta say that Cadet's 1989 Les Miserables ( Robert Smith) horn book was pretty special, which is what I'm looking for in arrangements that have been performed a good bit.

For me, it's all in the arrangements. There can be more than one great arrangement,

Looks like Boston played Fiddler on the Roof before SCV. Unfortunately, I don't have access to Boston's version to compare.

I'm looking forward to SCV's version of Les Miserables as well, I have a feeling that the musical arrangements will be pretty special.

Boston did a full theme show on Les Miz in 88. ( but did not make Finals ). Cadets did Les Miz the following year in '89 ( and it was terrific as well, imo )

Boston did " Unsquare Dance " in '68

Bernstein's " Mass " in 76 and 77

"Festive Overture" in 78

" Pictures in an Exhibition " in '92

" Sheherazade " in '93

" Our Town " in '96

" Chester Overture " in '97

That said, I would not say that other Corps copied the music later that Boston did... and I see nothing wrong with Corps doing what might have been done before as most often Corps add their own unique twist to it as well... either musically, or more increasingly, the visual that accompanies the musical piece. Lke you, I am interested in what the Corps are doing with their selections this year that in many cases.. once again... has been done before by other corps when we look at the 2013 selections announced so far.

Boston did a full theme show on Les Miz in 88. ( but did not make Finals ). Cadets did Les Miz the following year in '89 ( and it was terrific as well, imo )

Boston did " Unsquare Dance " in '68

Bernstein's " Mass " in 76 and 77

"Festive Overture" in 78

" Pictures in an Exhibition " in '92

" Sheherazade " in '93

" Our Town " in '96

" Chester Overture " in '97

That said, I would not say that other Corps copied the music later that Boston did... and I see nothing wrong with Corps doing what might have been done before as most often Corps add their own unique twist to it as well... either musically, or more increasingly, the visual that accompanies the musical piece. Lke you, I am interested in what the Corps are doing with their selections this year that in many cases.. once again... has been done before by other corps when we look at the 2013 selections announced so far.

I would like to see that '88 Boston show, but it's not on the Fan Network (which is one of the things I would like to see added to FN).

I agree with you.