General 2013 Audition Thread

I'm a 3rd year music ed major at University of North Texas sax player. For months I have been deciding if I should march next summer, which would be my last, or not. In May, I started learning mello and after 3 weeks, I just stopped because I decided not to do it. Then 5 days ago, I really got the fire going and I fully intent to audition for Crossmen, Madison Scouts and Phantom Regiment. So far, I feel like I have been improving every day with 45 min of practice. In 3 months, I have no idea where I will be, but I hope to be proficent enough to play. From a visual satndpoint, I feel I am very good and able to take instruction and make progress immediately. As this is my last chance to audition, I really want this to happen. Thoughts? Thanks, any comments are appreciated!

I'm a 3rd year music ed major at University of North Texas sax player. For months I have been deciding if I should march next summer, which would be my last, or not. In May, I started learning mello and after 3 weeks, I just stopped because I decided not to do it. Then 5 days ago, I really got the fire going and I fully intent to audition for Crossmen, Madison Scouts and Phantom Regiment. So far, I feel like I have been improving every day with 45 min of practice. In 3 months, I have no idea where I will be, but I hope to be proficent enough to play. From a visual satndpoint, I feel I am very good and able to take instruction and make progress immediately. As this is my last chance to audition, I really want this to happen. Thoughts? Thanks, any comments are appreciated!

I think that if you keep practicing with the same intensity, you could be in very good shape by November. It sounds like you have a great attitude as well. I think it took me three months from having never played a brass instrument to being qualified to be in a hornline, although that was a long time ago.

I've never experienced the modern auditioning process, but enthusiasm could make the difference. Your age and educational background may also be a plus if the competition for the slots is younger.

Good luck.

• Like 2

PLEASE don't make the same mistake that I did! I took a year off one summer before I went to college and all I did was knock back beers and wake up with hangovers. It might sound trivial, but that's one year of my life that I'll never get back and I'm still regretting it. I got back in the saddle the following year but it wasn't easy. You're only young once in your life so march while you can.

• Like 2

Hey man, I live in Denton- just moved here and will be auditioning for Phantom as well for my ageout/bonus year. I made it last season but was forced to go home because of a foot injury. I'd love to have someone to train with! We could do Insanity together.

I've marched corps since 2009 so I can help you out with this stuff in person. I'm not a student.

• Like 1

I'm a mello player in South Florida. As of now I'm unsure of whether to audition for Boston Crusaders or Spirit. Any opinions/advice/knowledge anyone would like to share about these corps that may help me decide? Which is more competitive to get into, the differing styles of teaching/etc.?

• Like 2

Crown registration info!

Camp Dates:

November 16-18, 2012

(Brass, Percussion & Guard)

TBA...Fort Mill area

December 14-16, 2012

(Brass, Percussion & Guard)

TBA...Fort Mill Area

January 18-20, 2013

(Brass & Percussion)

TBA...Fort Mill Area

February 22-24, 2013

(Brass & Percussion)

TBA...Fort Mill Area

March 22-24, 2013

(Brass & Percussion)

TBA...Fort Mill Area

April 26-28, 2013

(All Sections...Brass, Percussion & Guard)

TBA...Fort Mill Area

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious about something, I'm in high school as marched last season in open class, I'm taking another stab at world class auditions, but I'm being cautious about it. I'm scared that if I can't get out of school early, I can't march my desired corps. Obviously, school trumps drum corps, as sad as that is. Would I get cut because of that. I would miss move ins and innovations in brass I think.

I am curious about something, I'm in high school as marched last season in open class, I'm taking another stab at world class auditions, but I'm being cautious about it. I'm scared that if I can't get out of school early, I can't march my desired corps. Obviously, school trumps drum corps, as sad as that is. Would I get cut because of that. I would miss move ins and innovations in brass I think.

you would probably be expected to make it for the weekends while you are still in school.

it is also possible that you can get out of school a week or two early.

the reality is that you can't miss all of moveins and be an effective member of the drum corps. that's when they learn the entire show.

that said, if you make the corps, then you can try to make the schedule work.

it's definitely a good thing to keep in mind, but right now you don't have a conflict, since you haven't made the drum corps. If you don't make the corps, then the issue is moot.

• Like 1

Several corps are holding auditions in the Dallas area this year on the 17/18th november: Crossmen, SCV, Blue Devils, Bluecoats, SoA.

Is anyone going to be in Dallas that weekend? I'll be there for SCV auditions!

Lots of high school members work this out every year. At every level. Its something to be accounted for, but it can, and does, work.