General 2013 Audition Thread

Geez, I've seen folks put less thought and process into choosing a china pattern. Just chose a corp or two or three ( whatever the budget allows) you would like to march, prepare and audition. If you make it, great. If not....write it off your taxes and get on with it.

Geez, I've seen folks put less thought and process into choosing a china pattern. Just chose a corp or two or three ( whatever the budget allows) you would like to march, prepare and audition. If you make it, great. If not....write it off your taxes and get on with it.

I don't really think it's about the money...I'd say it's about the experience. If I didn't make a choice corps, I'd try out for an open class corps near me or something. It's not like if I don't make the Bluecoats, I'm just not going to march. I'd just choose a different corps.

Edited by Ch1k3n

I'm a mello player in South Florida. As of now I'm unsure of whether to audition for Boston Crusaders or Spirit. Any opinions/advice/knowledge anyone would like to share about these corps that may help me decide? Which is more competitive to get into, the differing styles of teaching/etc.?

Both are fine corps. For me, an unforgettable moment was hearing Spirit play "Let It Be Me" in 1980 at their first New England appearance. The horn line of their early days was like no other. Last summer I began hearing reminders of that horn line and classic Spirit style, so for a mello player, perhaps Spirit is the corps for you, but as a long time Boston Crusaders fan, my choice would be BAC.

My days of loving Boston Crusaders dates back almost 40 years ago when I was in 6th grade. BAC is a corps steeped in tradition and has had families that have had three and four generations march with the corps. BAC has strong support from loyal alums, is highly regarded in the drum corps community at large, does a great job at connecting with drum corps fans in New England and from what I can see the current members of the corps are like family. I have watched them rehearse in the early season and from my observations, staff and instructors seem to draw the best out of the members. I love the fact they are competitive today yet they still have the same feel as the old Boston Crusaders. Their Facebook page often features profiles of members and I'm always impressed with what I read and often at home shows when I've had the opportunity to chat with current members, I sense a dedication and pride, and they're so polite which is probably more of a plus for someone old enough to be their father than someone looking to join.

Now if tradition, great shows, top notch instructors and fine young people in a corps are not enough reasons to convince you, at last year's home show the corps had lobster and at semis they had steak. So if you're a surf and turn kind of person, then BAC is the corps for you!

• Like 2

I'm a 3rd year music ed major at University of North Texas sax player. For months I have been deciding if I should march next summer, which would be my last, or not. In May, I started learning mello and after 3 weeks, I just stopped because I decided not to do it. Then 5 days ago, I really got the fire going and I fully intent to audition for Crossmen, Madison Scouts and Phantom Regiment. So far, I feel like I have been improving every day with 45 min of practice. In 3 months, I have no idea where I will be, but I hope to be proficent enough to play. From a visual satndpoint, I feel I am very good and able to take instruction and make progress immediately. As this is my last chance to audition, I really want this to happen. Thoughts? Thanks, any comments are appreciated!

Make sure that you choose a corps that fits your personality and work ethic. Regiment, for example, will push you to the extreme, but it'll be worth it. Just be ready to work your butt off.

As already mentioned there are several Regiment members and alumni at UNT, so speaking with them will help.

Several corps are holding auditions in the Dallas area this year on the 17/18th november: Crossmen, SCV, Blue Devils, Bluecoats, SoA.

Is anyone going to be in Dallas that weekend? I'll be there for SCV auditions!

Or, the Boston Crusaders are also holding auditions in Denton, TX on 12/8/12......just so you know.... :smile:

• 2 weeks later...