Start a corps, save the activity

I've been one of the people who say the activity is dying, But I also lost the true focus. We need to save the activity to help more kids, not save DCI. Drum corps were started back in the day as nieghborhood groups to keep kids off the streets. This is needed now more then ever. They need the exposure to travel, positive adults in their life and chance to learn responsiblity. Drum corps can offer this.

We've had groups in the past that tried to do this, Spirit of NJ comes readily to mind. But the main problem is that people want to win. How would the fans reacted to Star of Indiana as a true youth group instead of the powerhouse corps it turned into. America loves a winner. But a bunch of kids with minimal skills are winners also if they make it onto the field or learn how to do a straight drum roll or blow a smooth b flat. When we talk about getting back to the roots the discussion shouldn't be about style but substance. What has the drum corps done to make this country better?

It may sound corny but everyday I thank God for another chance, promise to be better then I was yesturday, do at least 2 good deeds and make 3 people smile. I don't always make it but I try. I'm not saying Crown or Crossmen or Surf should change thier business models or say X amount of kids need to be from a certain income level or need to meet certain crieria(sic) but we need as an activity to use what we have to make this a better place.

I'm in the process of trying to start a music program in our city. Teaching kids how to play instruments with hopes of them becoming a travelling marching band and performing around the country at sport events.

We need more music programs, start a corps, community band, and help some kids and maybe even the drum corps activity.

• Like 6

Hats off to you, Craig!

I am amazed at the number of North American junior corps that are active in 2012 that DON'T compete on the field.

These local corps you speak of are performing at parades and local functions.

According my my 2012 junior corps census, there are 62 active juniors in North America. Did we see anywhere near that many of the field this summer?

No way, but these "non-competition" corps have found a niche to provide kids with an opportunity.

Others like you have found a way to pull this off.

Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

You mentioned Crown.

People need to visit their history and business model. Same with Devils but Crown is easier and quicker to digest. The Crown history is shorter and Bingo is not a part of it.

These models are built around community education. Crown started as nothing and has truly made a name for itself.

I am not speaking for the Crown folks but I am sure that they would help anyone get started in a good sustainable way.

You're my hero, Blackstar.

I'm on the same track. I'm VP of a board dedicated to starting a drum corps here in town, and I'm caption head for the new Scout House Cadets youth drumline beginning this September.

Scout House Alumni have been nothing short of incredible supporting the drumline project both financially and orgainzationally and have pledged support for the drum corps (7-8 miles down the highway). We're already sharing information, ideas and even a set of uniforms and a few drums between the two organizations. They know the importance of getting more kids involved. If you can ally yourself with someone like that, I highly recommend it.

Good luck, and keep us posted, please!

Edited by Grandpa

You mentioned Crown.

People need to visit their history and business model. Same with Devils but Crown is easier and quicker to digest. The Crown history is shorter and Bingo is not a part of it.

These models are built around community education. Crown started as nothing and has truly made a name for itself.

I am not speaking for the Crown folks but I am sure that they would help anyone get started in a good sustainable way.

You are right about Crown, and Academy follows a similar model. I also spoke with people from Colts' Cadets in Indy after the parade. What a great organization and what an experience they offer the kids. Other great examples are Music City--we'll be hearing from them in the future and I've got to give a shout out for Blue Saints and Les Stentors. The three corps were young and performed their hearts out. Les Stentors travelled to Indy by school bus! My understanding is their drum major and some of the older members want to revitalize drum corps in Canada.

I was also encouraged to see so many age outs from Open Class corps. Open class is not just a feeder for World Class as some claim but a category of its own.

We need more Open Class opportunities for competition but we also need competitive and performance opportunities for smaller corps that do not fit in this category. Parades are fine, but more is needed to sustain interest. What might be helpful is a list of non-competitive local corps at the junior level. Local units could plan competitions providing that travelling would not be a problem. If opportunities for fraternity and competition existed, things could grow and develop. It would be a small start, but a beginning.

I'm in the process of trying to start a music program in our city. Teaching kids how to play instruments with hopes of them becoming a travelling marching band and performing around the country at sport events.

We need more music programs, start a corps, community band, and help some kids and maybe even the drum corps activity.

This is great :thumbup: I take it your city does not have a school music program? If so, it's great that you are stepping up to fill the void. Good luck!

I attended a small drum corps meeting for start-up corps last year in Philly. There were about 20 corps looking to start up in the Pa-NJ-NY-DE area. Bob Jacobs was there and gave a lot of very good insight. It was a very eventful meeting. Only thing is very little materialized. I believe only 1 corps is actually putting something together (Best of luck Roger, good things do happen to those who continue to push to realize their dream).

The OP mentioned Spirit of Newark. Unfortunately their Executive Director, Glenn Eng, just recently passed away. I hear they are trying to keep things together and I wish them the best of luck and hope they return to the field soon.

It really is a shame that there are so few corps all around, especially in Open Class.

I attended a small drum corps meeting for start-up corps last year in Philly. There were about 20 corps looking to start up in the Pa-NJ-NY-DE area. Bob Jacobs was there and gave a lot of very good insight. It was a very eventful meeting. Only thing is very little materialized. I believe only 1 corps is actually putting something together (Best of luck Roger, good things do happen to those who continue to push to realize their dream).

The OP mentioned Spirit of Newark. Unfortunately their Executive Director, Glenn Eng, just recently passed away. I hear they are trying to keep things together and I wish them the best of luck and hope they return to the field soon.

It really is a shame that there are so few corps all around, especially in Open Class.

Your name is " oldbones ". We could use some " youngbones " to pick up the torch and start up a new Corps somewhere too. Thats how it USED to be done. Those who marched went on to later start up their own Drum Corps in their community. It only takes a vision.. and then a committment with fellow visionaries sharing the same vision to just find a way to make it happen. All these Drum Corps we see today did not just fall down from the sky. They started up with a simple vision by someone or just a handful of people wanting to see what it could be like to build something worthwhile in their communities that could be life altering for some youngsters.

Edited by BRASSO