Judge panels

Based on some of the previous comments and from what I saw in the recaps- What if they had a more "sympathetic panel" to meet your standards? BD was still 9-0 vs Crown. I have a feeling the most desireable combination for you would narrow the gap by at most .3 to .5.

Perhaps the more sympathetic panel that you desired judged an earlier round. And guess what- BD still won every round. Had Crown won one of the preliminary rounds, your conspiracy theory may have carried some weight, and the operative words are "may", and "some".

Lots of naysayers .... I don't think I said anything about crown would have won with a more sympathetic panel. Read what I said. The finals panels had many of the worst possible judges for crown with the biggest spreads all year.

Explain that.

And no a more desirable panel didn't judge an earlier round. They were simply not judging at dci, and that's that.

Edited by the lone ranger

Lots of naysayers .... I don't think I said anything about crown would have won with a more sympathetic panel. Read what I said. The finals panels had many of the worst possible judges for crown with the biggest spreads all year.

Explain that.

And no a more desirable panel didn't judge an earlier round. They were simply not judging at dci, and that's that.

Well, I guess the Trilateralists and the Bildabergers must be picking the panels, huh? :laughing:

Especially when looking at the recaps over the course of the season. The finals panel was made up of almost all thr judges that viewed crown the most unfavorably in comparison to the rest of the field. Especially both ge vis judges. 1 Ge music judge. As well as visual analysis and colorguard. All those captions were judged by those who had the largest spreads below blue devils all season.

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy, im just saying....

There's a conspiracy. :-)

Different situation, but also looking at Blue Stars, had almost any other guard judge been selected for semis, Blue Stars would most likely have been in finals. The semi finals guard judge had consistantly scored them 12 or 13 while almost ever other judge throughout the season had scored them 7, 8,or 9.( and were ranked so throughout most of the season) By the way the judge trended in his judging as an outlier all season long, it was not surprising come semies Blue Stars would be in 13.

Again, who selects the judges for the 3 nights of finals and what is the process for doing so. No one seems to be able to answer this question.

Edited by brians
  • Like 1

Di

Again, who selects the judges for the 3 nights of finals and what is the process for doing so. No one seems to be able to answer this question.

George Hopkins.

George Hopkins.

So, in the sci-fi world, "42" is the answer to everything. It seems like we have a definitive answer to everything Drum Corps. ;-)

Different situation, but also looking at Blue Stars, had almost any other guard judge been selected for semis, Blue Stars would most likely have been in finals. The semi finals guard judge had consistantly scored them 12 or 13 while almost ever other judge throughout the season had scored them 7, 8,or 9.( and were ranked so throughout most of the season) By the way the judge trended in his judging as an outlier all season long, it was not surprising come semies Blue Stars would be in 13.

Some corps did not get a favorable panel at finals. But I don't think there was any sort of conspiracy to load a particular panel for or against a particular corps.

• Like 1

Some corps did not get a favorable panel at finals. But I don't think there was any sort of conspiracy to load a particular panel for or against a particular corps.

I sincerely hope you are correct. As I see it, there are basically 3 spots which are most watched by all concerned, for money and other reasons; the #12, and # 1 spots and most recently the# 8 spot.

I sincerely hope you are correct. As I see it, there are basically 3 spots which are most watched by all concerned, for money and other reasons; the #12, and # 1 spots and most recently the# 8 spot.

If you are in a position that you are more worried about the panel, you are wasting energy that could better be spent making your corps better. Period. What Crown did when faced with a panel that allegedly wasn't "favorable" was to say, "Screw it, we'll just make them believers". They darned well succeeded, given the small spread.

Every corps gets "unfavorable panels", even the Blue Devils. You don't see them complain, they just throw down and let the chips fall where they may. Just like Crown did. The bubble corps could take a lesson from this as well. Do what Crossmen did...they were on the bubble, so they went for it with a vengeance. I'm really not sure Blue Stars did (though I don't think that's any slight on their performers).

• Like 1

Every corps gets "unfavorable panels", even the Blue Devils. You don't see them complain, they just throw down and let the chips fall where they may. Just like Crown did. The bubble corps could take a lesson from this as well. Do what Crossmen did...they were on the bubble, so they went for it with a vengeance. I'm really not sure Blue Stars did (though I don't think that's any slight on their performers).

So what is it then? What are you saying?

So, in the sci-fi world, "42" is the answer to everything. It seems like we have a definitive answer to everything Drum Corps. ;-)

Did this start with those two bears talking to one another...where one could create their own dialogue? (I remember an insurance company also made a commercial using them.)

The "George Hopkins" meme section starts at 6:32.

We should have this documented, just in case this does become our "answer to everything." What can someone tell us about Seth Miller, the creator of the drum corps version?

In 2011, Dan Potter got George Hopkins to say his name into the recorder. Dan utilized that clip for some humorous purpose; but I forget what he did with it.