Smokeshows

A few corps in recent years come to mind but overall I wouldnt say so.

but yes... tour goggles play a huge part in this. :tongue:

Edited by skeptic

50 yard fakeout is a word I've heard used to describe this

tour goggles yo!

Tour goggles would be for only those tour. 50 yard fakeout could be for both members and spectators.

Hopefully the term is self explanatory

Guard uniforms definitely are more flattering now than they were way back then.

Kids generally are in good shape - no offense to anyone but it seems like competitive shows now are more demanding than in bygone eras.

Maybe the big corps have more kids applying, and this is just one more thing they can screen for?

All this is counterbalanced by the fact that, speaking just for myself here, I'm older now (than I was earlier). YMMV. :)

There's at least one show this year I would have to object to, were my daughter in the guard, just because I myself felt it was sort of borderline exploitive. So there, that's definitely a novel thought for me - I must be getting older.

Edited by newdaddy

Guard uniforms definitely are more flattering now than they were way back then.

Kids generally are in good shape - no offense to anyone but it seems like competitive shows now are more demanding than in bygone eras.

I was actually quite surprised at finals to see a couple of male guard members who are flabbier than I am.

How on earth is that possible?

Congratulations. As Gene Monteastelli wrote in an e-mail to me a couple years ago, "Congratulations; you're now a speed limit."

Thank you... and I have been calling it "hitting double nickles"...

Yes I used to have a CB radio.... :w00t:

Edit: For today I learned who Gene Monteastelli is. Now I think I know why he had speed limits on the mind (first link talked about touring)....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

No offence taken. I never marched anything remotely close to the kind of drill these kids do now.

And after over 30 years (at that time) since I started in the activity, I had never heard of a dot book until my daughter came home from practice and said she needed one.

50 yard fakeout is a word I've heard used to describe this

This right here is hilarious. You got me real good.