DCI Attendance Figures Released

How about for once, people stop trying to believe that the sky is falling when it isn't? Anytime there's good news, it must be your job to try to find the most obscure angle to shoot is down.

How about you use the 2004 number as a baseline and realize that there were 23,000 more people who saw (and paid to see) Finals Week this year than in 2004?

That's the best news for DCI and for arts education in general that I've seen in a long time.

PS - sorry for the rant, but this BS of finding mindless horse-hockey statistics to spread alleged doom and gloom drives me nuts, when the evidence doesn't point to that. It may not be getting better at the rate you want it to, but it's also not getting worse. There's a lot to like about what's out there and about what DCI is doing.

PPS - yes, I realize it's the internet, and no one is happy about anything.

Just looking at it from all sides. The sky is not falling. There was a large discrepancy in 66 per screen vs. 400 per screen. I happen to state facts backed by numbers. I do see those things and think that way and dig into solutions for such discrepancies on a daily basis. I was not being negative - actually I am guilty of staying neutral.

Maybe every comment that is made in a logical manner is not necessarily a negative comment.

The two-day attendance total for Open Class events in Michigan City, Ind. (Aug. 6-7) came in at 1,308, up from 1,191 in 2011.

Needs work.

Suggestion: Championship the WEEKEND BEFORE instead of settling for this painfully small Monday/Tuesday audience. No, it doesnt have to be at the big stadium...rent makes that prohibitive anyway.

Whatever....600 people at a Championship contest needs work. You have my suggestion. Discuss :)

I agree it needs work.

Anyone who has been to that stadium in Michigan City knows it's pretty small with a paltry amount of seats on the home side. I'd be interested to know how many of those seats were filled/what the capacity of the home side is.

It's an awesome stadium to play in because it's LOUD. Just not a very big homeside bleacher set.

To be clear, DCI says the number "does not include thousands of corps and staff members who entered the stadium after performances with wristbands or staff/VIP credentials." But that's not the same as "paid attendance".

Still, whatever this number is, it appears to be the same they gave us last year, so things are comparable.

Prelims: 6,903 -> 6,647, down 3.8%

Semis: 12,351 -> 12,027, down 2.6%

Finals: 17,363 -> 17,820, up 2.6%

Total: 36,617 -> 36,494, down 0.3%

Cinecast: 38,722 -> 40,000, up 3.3%

Finals numbers for the past several years:

(ATT = "attendance" as reported by DCI, tix = "Tickets sold" as reported by DCI; "attendance" will always be greater than "tickets sold", for example in 2002, DCI reported attendance of around 26,000 on 20,230 tickets)

1994: 24,513 tix *

1995: 19,100 tix

1996: 13,771 tix

1997: 13,773 tix

1998: 12,693 tix

1999: 19,931 tix

2000: 18,423 tix

2001: 16,406 tix

2002: 20,230 tix

2003: 18,865 tix

2004: 22,047 tix

2005: 20,542 ATT

2006: 21,232 ATT

2007: 24,309 tix

2008: 20,534 ATT

2009: 17,865 ATT

2010: 15,900 ATT (estimated based on percentages given)

2011: 17,363 ATT

2012: 17,820 ATT

* 1994 number as reported in Drum Corps World. All other numbers directly from dci.org.

Skywhopper, since you've obviously been tracking this, what is the trending on prelims and semis attendance? Have prelims been decreasing since they started the movie theater thing? Have semis been declining since the Fan Network?

To reiterate, I think the numbers are the attendance figures including comp tickets. I am not saying they are incorrect.

The "paid attendance" figures are different numbers and are not shown. Acheson is referring to them verbally without showing what they are. I don't believe he is being dishonest that they had a modest increase. He just isn't showing us what those numbers are.

The attendance numbers shown for the three nights are a modest decrease from last year. You can search for last year's article, if you'd like.

I wouldn't think that 'comp tickets' (comp meaning complimentary or free) would be the same as paid tickets. Maybe that's just me.

I'm not sure the attendance numbers and the "paid attendance" that Acheson is talking about are the same number.

"We are very pleased to post a modest year-over-year increase in paid attendance across the three events at Lucas Oil Stadium," said DCI Executive Director/CEO Dan Acheson."

Read more: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=777ac5ef-235a-4f86-896d-70392b372660#ixzz23jShb2kW

Besides wristbands and lanyards (credentials), there are also comp tickets. I know because I was given one. It looks like a regular ticket. It got scanned like a regular ticket, but its price was $0.00.

I think the paid attendance Acheson is talking about is a lower number than the 17,820. Otherwise, they would have called it PAID attendance in the opening paragraph.

Also, when I compare the figures shown with last year, only finals had a slightly larger attendance number than the other two nights. They were up 457 people. Semis was down 324 and Prelims are down 256. The 3-day total was down 123 people.

(Edited to add: I hadn't read a lot of the other responses. Sorry for being redundant.)

Pay for a ticket you Piker

• Like 1

The movie houses dont commit to screening it without doing their homework.

500 commitments is a big deal.

DCI must have done something right to distribute it to more and more venues each year. And the venues must have found value in it in return.

Who paid whom to have it shown?

DCI ? ("pleeeease put this in your theater...WE'LL PAY YOU!") or

the movie houses ? ("that sounds like it will draw and history shows it will....let's come to an agreement on that")

The big dogs liked it...Regal, AMC, etc. its nothing but a good thing. and it saves me the trip to Indy on Thursday...the theater is down the street.

How about for once, people stop trying to believe that the sky is falling when it isn't? Anytime there's good news, it must be your job to try to find the most obscure angle to shoot is down.

How about you use the 2004 number as a baseline and realize that there were 23,000 more people who saw (and paid to see) Finals Week this year than in 2004?

That's the best news for DCI and for arts education in general that I've seen in a long time.

PS - sorry for the rant, but this BS of finding mindless horse-hockey statistics to spread alleged doom and gloom drives me nuts, when the evidence doesn't point to that. It may not be getting better at the rate you want it to, but it's also not getting worse. There's a lot to like about what's out there and about what DCI is doing.

PPS - yes, I realize it's the internet, and no one is happy about anything.

• Like 2

I wouldn't think that 'comp tickets' (comp meaning complimentary or free) would be the same as paid tickets. Maybe that's just me.

I am not the only one who thinks that the numbers shown are attendance and not "paid attendance".

Think about it. How do they measure attendance in the first place? People entering the stadium with a wristband or a VIP lanyard merely flash their credentials and get waved through. That would be difficult to count. So, it's not surprise it's not part of the total, particularly with people being able to come in and out of the stadium several times.

Complimentary tickets are scanned just like any other ticket. That is not difficult to count. Your ticket is scanned just once per person, goes into a computer and counts as attendance.

• Like 1

Pay for a ticket you Piker

I bought a ticket for semis and was about to pay for one for finals when someone gave me a comp ticket. You would take it too.

• Like 2

Digital projection is available on more screens now as well. You have to factor this in. It is a win for theaters on a Thursday Night just to get bodies in the seats. And a win for DCI to have more viewers.

DCI must have done something right to distribute it to more and more venues each year. And the venues must have found value in it in return.

the movie houses ? ("that sounds like it will draw and history shows it will....let's come to an agreement on that")

The big dogs liked it...Regal, AMC, etc. its nothing but a good thing. and it saves me the trip to Indy on Thursday...the theater is down the street.

Digital projection is available on more screens now as well. You have to factor this in. It is a win for theaters on a Thursday Night just to get bodies in the seats plus it is end of summer when numbers are down. And a win for DCI to have more viewers. There might be a non-profit break in there as well.

Edited by Kevin Powell