Star of Indiana - 1992

It felt as if the majority of the resentment came from older former corps members that may have never competed against Star. But they saw older more established corps they had either marched with or been a fan of being passed by a corps with a perceived financial advantage. Of course it could have just been the people I had the displeasure of sitting next to in some of those years. .

Oh yes, especially the alumni of the corps that were getting passed by Star as they rose. They were the most vocal. And if you found yourself wearing a Star t-shirt while sitting next to them (as I did more than once), look out!

The one year that I remember the least negativity toward them was 1990. I think it was because the show was absolutely phenomenal, a big surprise because they had suddenly increased in quality dramatically from the previous year, and also they hadn't peaked and started consistently knocking the big guys off yet. When they became a consistent threat, the gloves came off.

• Like 1

Yup, that is how I remember it too, and very much recall the reactions over the three final days in Madison. The cheering for them in 3rd at finals was awful. Pretty similar to how Bill Cook remembers it too, on the Star website:

"For Jim, 1992 was a pivotal year because the show was designed for a broad audience appeal and the result was a hostile crowd. At that time, he decided to explore different directions. His frustrations led him to the 1993 Medea program because he wanted to give the organization a vehicle where they would be in control of their performance from beginning to end.

Looking back at Medea, there were no opportunities for the audience to react until the show was over. This concept made some of the audience uncomfortable and created even more controversy. I guess that was Jim's vengeance. Also at that time, he began to contemplate doing something other than drum corps with the Star of Indiana. Perhaps the seed of Brass Theater was planted during this period."

The Star of Indiana had been exploring options outside of DCI for quite some time.They had already been doing collaborative work with music groups outside DCI, and were actively exploringother options outside DCI. The urban myth many of us have heard that seems revisionist history to some of us ( written years later to justify actions ) was that Star left after '93 as they were upset with DCI judging and audiences. The fact of the matter is, the Star of Indiana had made a concious decision that 1993 would be their last year in DCI before a single audience member heard or saw their 1993 production.

When Star left DCI after the 93 season,and worked with The Canadian Brass in Brass Theatre ( the forerunner of " Blast " ) they were purposely looking to develop a fan friendly, audience friendly show for the stage. And they did. They did " West Side Story " with the Canadian Brass at the Univ. Indiana. With the later development of the theatre production" BLAST " , this took them to the very antithesis of their 1993 DCI show production. While they did keep " Medea ", 90 % of the music was music such as Mangione's " Land of Make Believe "... " Bolero "... " Simple Gifts ".... " Officer Krupke ", and so forth, and closing the show with " Melaquena " ... visually, they used the Phantom Regiment " step over move " and the Bridgemen blindfold drumming skit, and much more of the classics from Drum Corps. It was classic and audience friendly Drum Corps that Star did on stage after they left DCI. They " pandered " so well to international audiences that they won a prestigious Tony Award and an Emmy Award. They kept performers working for years and years doing fan friendly Drum Corps in theatres around the Globe. Leaving DCI was the most liberating thing that could have happened to the staff of the Star of Indiana. It allowed them to forge a new path where their creative juices could be channeled into the singular motive to please diverse audiences from around the Globe. Not a handful of DCI judges.

Edited by BRASSO

1992 Star is easily in the discussion for best brass line of all time.

And for what it's worth, I think this is an amazing show.

• Like 1

The Star of Indiana had been exploring options outside of DCI for quite some time.They had already been doing collaborative work with music groups outside DCI, and were actively exploringother options outside DCI. The urban myth many of us have heard that seems revisionist history to some of us ( written years later to justify actions ) was that Star left after '93 as they were upset with DCI judging and audiences. The fact of the matter is, the Star of Indiana had made a concious decision that 1993 would be their last year in DCI before a single audience member heard or saw their 1993 production.

When Star left DCI after the 93 season,and worked with The Canadian Brass in Brass Theatre ( the forerunner of " Blast " ) they were purposely looking to develop a fan friendly, audience friendly show for the stage. And they did. They did " West Side Story " with the Canadian Brass at the Univ. Indiana. With the later development of the theatre production" BLAST " , this took them to the very antithesis of their 1993 DCI show production. While they did keep " Medea ", 90 % of the music was music such as Mangione's " Land of Make Believe "... " Bolero "... " Simple Gifts ".... " Officer Krupke ", and so forth, and closing the show with " Melaquena " ... visually, they used the Phantom Regiment " step over move " and the Bridgemen blindfold drumming skit, and much more of the classics from Drum Corps. It was classic and audience friendly Drum Corps that Star did on stage after they left DCI. They " pandered " so well to international audiences that they won a prestigious Tony Award and an Emmy Award. They kept performers working for years and years doing fan friendly Drum Corps in theatres around the Globe. Leaving DCI was the most liberating thing that could have happened to the staff of the Star of Indiana. It allowed them to forge a new path where their creative juices could be channeled into the singular motive to please diverse audiences from around the Globe. Not a handful of DCI judges.

Which is all explained in detail on their website :rolleyes:

If you heard some sporatic boos in '92 , it must have been jealousy at work, not anything to do with their show.

That is a good point: how much of Star's disdain in 1992 have to do with the actual 92 program, and how much of it just had to do with people disliking Star? Not an easy question to answer. Heck, pretty much impossible to answer.

FWIW, though, I don't recall any ill will towards start in 1991, so the "crowd turning on Star in 1992" having more to do with dislike of the corps doesn't quite seem as plausible to me.

• Like 1

That is a good point: how much of Star's disdain in 1992 have to do with the actual 92 program, and how much of it just had to do with people disliking Star? Not an easy question to answer. Heck, pretty much impossible to answer.

FWIW, though, I don't recall any ill will towards start in 1991, so the "crowd turning on Star in 1992" having more to do with dislike of the corps doesn't quite seem as plausible to me.

sometimes its very hard to know what the cheers or boos are about ..is it the program, the corps itself, its politics, director, plume color?....lol...and some want to give the audience the power of deciding placements :blink:

The star of Indiana got terrific audience responses the 4 times I saw them in 1992, so I have no idea what you are talking about with this comment. One can go to FN at any time, play 92 Star, and tell us if you hear a " fan base that turns on Star ". The 92 Star of Indiana "turned on" the crowd at the shows I was at, not " turned off " the crowd.

I was at a show in 1992 when the corps was booed after being announced in first place. I don't remember what show that was at, but I remembered thinking something like, "Wow...A corps is booed for winning while playing a patriotic show. This is a tough audience."

• Like 1

I was at a show in 1992 when the corps was booed after being announced in first place. I don't remember what show that was at, but I remembered thinking something like, "Wow...A corps is booed for winning while playing a patriotic show. This is a tough audience."

yeahhhh, i remember a few times that it wasnt pretty, worse the following year

Edited by GUARDLING

yeahhhh, i remember a few times that it wasnt pretty, worse the following year

Oh, geez...I was with Bill Cook in Ypsilanti as he was introducing one of his client doctors to drum corps and the doctor was asking him why people were booing one of the products Bill was involved with. Talk about awkward.

Oh, geez...I was with Bill Cook in Ypsilanti as he was introducing one of his client doctors to drum corps and the doctor was asking him why people were booing one of the products Bill was involved with. Talk about awkward.

lol...funny i was with a drum staff person at the same show ( taught with him somewhere else and I remember in mid conversation stopping because of the vocals from the audience...we might have been in the same area...lol...it stopped several of us