DCA Annapolis Predictions

Makes the point.... full plate, inside the zone with no need to really entertain anything else. They are really in a decent spot with the ability to say "no thanks" to much of anything else.

10 corps slates with a nice (almost guaranteed) draw.... and it's NOT a criticism of the Cabs. They happen to be in a yes/no position with no real obligation to anything but being the best organization they can be (first) and let DCA figure out the rest (second).

They were also at Lynn this season.

The Cabs host 2 shows, Grand Prix/Cabs at the beach... go to Bush's and Reading's show, Scranton, Lynn, Barnum, and Kingston. There's 8 contests- If I were figuring out the Cabs' 2013 schedule, you'd need a very good incentive for me to do something differently with that kind of schedule. They have a full plate, with several well attended/major contests as a part of it.

Edited by wishbonecav

Cabs (for example) in 2004 went to Waverly, Hershey, Endicott and Syracuse.

In 2005-2008 they went to either Rochester or Syracuse in addition to DCA.

Since 2008, they havent been outside the radius even once in a complementary situation (other than DCA).

That's a long time.

The variation is the corps' willingness to support home-and-home reciprocity.

Given the ROCK that is the Rochester/Batavia/Syracuse/Ontario drum corps audience, there is no reason that Rochester or Syracuse should not be hosting a July showcase-type show in either Rhino Stadium or MacArthur where as many corps as possible show up and split the gate (with a subsidy for distance traveled), especially since the Finals are now in Maryland.

Scranton gets this gig every year in August. A third DCA showcase event is not unreasonable, especially as a reciprocal situation. The support matrix (especially with GRVA) is already in place. And its not unreasonable, either, to expect success.

Regardless, I am going to win the prediction pool tomorrow. Mark it down. :rock:

well, there's more options for shows in Jersey now than in several years. So why should they haul ### all over the globe if they can get paying gigs in the same state? I'm sure I'll get red marks for this like I did above, but let's be honest people:

drum corps is a business, and drum corps that arent smart about what they do financially go out of business. Yeah, it sucks for Empire that there is little left up there, but hey....it's not their fault, or Cabs fault or anyone else's fault Cru, Brigs and Grennies are gone.The onus is on those corps and their administrations.

Bucs were almost dead 15/16 years ago, and got smart. They didn't haul ### all over the world, stayed more local, got in better financial shape, grew on the field as well, and look...the results speak for themselves. They did it without bingo advantages thatused to be available in NY, they didn't charge $1400 for their members to join, they didn't pay for vans to haul people to rehearsals.

seems to have worked out well

• Like 3

Saturday Prelims PREDICTIONS

1. Reading Buccaneers97.3

2. Minnesota Brass 95.1

3. Hawthorne Caballeros 94.8

4. Empire Statesmen 93.5

5. Hurricanes 93.1

6. Cadets 2 91.3

7. Renegades 89.00

8. Kids Grove 87.6

9. Corps Vets 85.3

10.Fusion Core 84.1

11.Kilties 81.9

12.Bushwackers 80.1

SCORES DONT MATTER...I HOPE YOU ALL MAX OUT at PRELIMS and FINALS...ENJOY!!!

• Like 2

Bottom line (and i do "get it"...i've described it in pretty good detail) is that, without reciprocation, Empire is in a tough spot. Its not a "new" spot by any means....Renegades, MBI, CV, et al have been in that "spot" for years. The part I'm having trouble with is that it is not a wholly necessary spot, at least as it relates to them, if only there was some reciprocation.

Like you said, there'd have to be a pretty compelling reason to engage in that conversation/course of action. I'm not sure its (a) compelling enough or (b) been discussed to the point of reaching that conclusion.

Re: better placing corps. I assume you mean MBI. They are the only one to ever turn the trick.

Good talk, though. I'd share my thoughts at DCA level if i thought it would do any good. I imagine this isnt anything that is really an eye-opener that someone hasnt come up with b4 me.

Joe Caballero

It is what it is, Joe. Them's the reality. It can be dealt with. Looking at recent placements at championships, less/easier travel doesn't equate to a better placing corps. Not at all.

Absorbing the Westshoremen 15/16 years ago didnt hurt, either.

Not to bust up your point, but they actually "hauled ### all over the world" in 97, 98, 99, compared to 94, 95 or 96 (source: corpsreps.com, fromthepressbox.com). A full schedule versus 5 or 7 shows.

And they didnt exactly go on the cheap for the staff.

I'm not sure they got smart as much as they were in the right place at the right time and made the most of it. Credit for that.

Again....regardless....I am going to win the pool. I am in for $10. :devil:

Joe Caballero

Bucs were almost dead 15/16 years ago, and got smart. They didn't haul ### all over the world, stayed more local, got in better financial shape, grew on the field as well, and look...the results speak for themselves. They did it without bingo advantages thatused to be available in NY, they didn't charge $1400 for their members to join, they didn't pay for vans to haul people to rehearsals.

seems to have worked out well

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 1

Sorry to be pedantic, but Kidsgrove is one word, not two. It is a place in the Midlands of England. It's "Kidsgrove" much the same as "Bluecoats" isn't "Blue Coats".

Oh, and my prediction...

1. Bucs

2. Minnesota Brass

3. Cabs

4. Empire Statesmen

5. Hurricanes

6. Kidsgrove

7. Cadets2

8. Renegades

9. Corpsvets

10.Kilts

11.Bush

12.Fusion Core

Saturday Semi predictions. I think C2 will make a move. I think its anybody's guess on 5th. Kidsgrove or Hurricanes could certainly swap spots. Renegades will be a unknown.

1. Bucs

2. Minnesota Brass

3. Cabs

4. C2

5.Kidsgrove

6. Hurricanes

7. Empire Statesmen

8. Atlanta CV

9. Renegades

10.FC

11.Kilts

12.Bush

Absorbing the Westshoremen 15/16 years ago didnt hurt, either.

Not to bust up your point, but they actually "hauled ### all over the world" in 97, 98, 99, compared to 94, 95 or 96 (source: corpsreps.com, fromthepressbox.com). A full schedule versus 5 or 7 shows.

And they didnt exactly go on the cheap for the staff.

I'm not sure they got smart as much as they were in the right place at the right time and made the most of it. Credit for that.

Again....regardless....I am going to win the pool. I am in for $10. :devil:

Joe Caballero

Hi, lemme dispel this rumor yet again. Bucs did not absorb Westshore. At best maybe 20 people from a corps of about 100 in 1997, full 128 in 96. They got some percussion staff, maybe 3 brass, 2/3 guard and some percussionists. There was no wholesale run to Bucs after the 1997 season when Westshore went down. The only place to find the majority of the members was in the stands or at a backyard BBQ.

and as a former staff member Bucs.....the pay aint exactly what you think it is.