The lot vs. the stadium

...What if you made to Indy on Friday, and your trip budget only covered Finals and travel. Are you allowed visit the lot Friday night without being arrested for theft? I'm interested in all of the different scenarios on what is theft of drum corps, and what is not theft of drum corps. It would be good to have it documented and avoid "dress downs" in the local pubs and eateries, not to mention legal duress.

Ticket for Saturday? You're good!

HH

I usually catch 5-10 shows a year, as I manage to schedule my work travel around DCI shows. I only actually go in to maybe 2 (usually end of year, once I hear/read the buzz of who is hot on the field). And for those, I'm usually in my seat for the one-two shows that I want to see, and out in the lot again for everything else. The lot does it for me. The field shows don't, for the most part. That's not any "dino" thing or some dream of what it once was- I mean, I actually like DCI now more than ever (dating back to late 70's). But honestly, it's on a much more personal level in the lot for drum lines. It's a show in and of itself.

I see nothing interesting in the lot from hornlines or guard, and way back when, I marched horn. But percussion, both PIT and field batterie.... that stuff is awesome up close standing still.

I must add that my intent isn't to be a lot hound, and in many cases (for the bigger shows of the summer, at least), I actually have a ticket in hand but never manage to make it in for anything but maybe the last corps, or to see a corps I've heard good things about. I just get so "in" to the lot, seeing old friends, and catching the nuances of a drumline show that I'd never catch from the stands, and the next thing I know... show is over.

I love the lot, and I know a lot (/pun) of people who do as well. Putting a small souvie stand at the lot warmup is a brilliant idea. Especially for those shows where us lot hounds don't buy a ticket. At those shows, many times the souvie stands are inside the venue and without a ticket, you can't get in to buy stuff.

Great ideas, but an extra souvie location would require an additional body to work it. Would the extra income from the lot be more than the extra cost of having another person on tour?

What about a tip/donation jar at warmups?

Great ideas, but an extra souvie location would require an additional body to work it. Would the extra income from the lot be more than the extra cost of having another person on tour?

What about a tip/donation jar at warmups?

Or how about this? (And if a corps is interested in doing this, by all means take it.)

Kids especially groove on watching the drums rehearse, and some of them look up to the corps drummers as sort of heroes. Have lots of extra sticks available, and the drummers, after using the sticks in warm-up, then offer to sell them to those kids that would love to have a set, even as a decoration in their bedroom.

I know sticks can often be a very personal item for drummers due to feel, etc. But if they had their show sticks ready to go, warming up with the sales sticks wouldn't be a big deal.

Is this crazy enough to work?

• Like 1

Or how about this? (And if a corps is interested in doing this, by all means take it.)

Kids especially groove on watching the drums rehearse, and some of them look up to the corps drummers as sort of heroes. Have lots of extra sticks available, and the drummers, after using the sticks in warm-up, then offer to sell them to those kids that would love to have a set, even as a decoration in their bedroom.

I know sticks can often be a very personal item for drummers due to feel, etc. But if they had their show sticks ready to go, warming up with the sales sticks wouldn't be a big deal.

Is this crazy enough to work?

Personally I would warm up with the sticks I do the show with.

I feel your pain.

But I've got to wonder something.: Is there a certain amount of fans who go to shows, but don't even go in the stadium to see the corps? If so, is it a financial thing with them? And if that's the case, would those people even have money to spend of parking lot souvie sales?

I know friends (drummers) who just go to 'the lot.' They do this mostly because they're only interested in what the drum lines are doing: they want to get 'up close' to hear exercises, analyze technique, see instructors give direction, etc. They don't buy a ticket to the show, they don't want to see full shows, they just want to see the drum lines up close & live. They wouldn't buy souvenirs, wouldn't buy admission to the lot, etc.

Personally I would warm up with the sticks I do the show with.

Yes, but it could be like the American flags that fly over the Capitol. There's a place at the Capitol where flags are raised and lowered much of the day. Any organization that wants a flag that flew over the Capitol can then get one. Drummers might warm up with a new pair of sticks (taped like their show sticks) and use those for a few minutes, sell them and then take out their show sticks.

How often do drummers today change sticks? Those old sticks could be played a bit and then offered to those watching the routines.

I'm not sure how practical this would be, and it would need someone to collect the money and distribute the sticks, but I wouldn't be shocked if corps could make some respectable change out of it...Probably not a lot; but every little bit helps.

Or: How's this for an idea? Have a second fuel fund jar out there and if someone gives the person who would handle this..let's say, $10 for the "parking lot fuel fund"...they get a pair of sticks their favorite drummers used.

Some great thoughts Grandpa!

While this can't work for every show, the ones it can work for, why they hell not? Especially for finals and larger regional shows.

Also, why isn't there more going on in and around the lots.... more of a proper tailgate? Barbecue, beer, whatever.... making it more of a social experience that actually makes it even more worth it for fans and local alum to show up?

If not everyone is going to like what it going on on the field... who cares if they LOVE the lot? If not everyone likes the current shows, but still loves drum corps... why not make a sort of parallel experience for these sorts of legacy fans? Make every show a reunion experience.

Why not well organized after parties? Why not places to drop kids off to do stuff in the afternoon while adults hang out and socialize before the show? Why not make some of these these more of an experience all around?

Is this something DCI should take on? Probably not... they've got enough on their plate. Corps? Show sponsors? I'd say probably the same thing.

There is no reason why external groups like alumni associations and so on can't organize some pretty cool stuff like this around shows. Would be great.

IMO, I am so over the lot. great people standing around playing stuff clean they can't play clean on the move, playing parts way harder than their show in warmups....to me it's overhype

IMO, I am so over the lot. great people standing around playing stuff clean they can't play clean on the move, playing parts way harder than their show in warmups....to me it's overhype

Sadly, a lot of lot music is more fun to play and listen to than what's in the show, for brass as well as percussion. If only show designers would figure that out.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1