HS Marchers

It's rare but it happens. I remember one year when the Cavies were missing a tenor player before finals. The kid had to go to his college band camp so he wouldn't lose his scholarship. He returned finals week and competed to end the season.

Also, you are SO wrong. A choice doesn't have to be made. Both can be done with a little effort, and for the most part a kid coming off corps is a benifit to the band.

1) I agree that the tenor player should have lost his scholarship if he missed his band camp; good for the school and good for the band director.

2) I never indicated that both 'cannot' be done but that a choice should certainly be placed upon the HS child of one over the other due to the conflicts and the disrespect is shows to the other HS band kids on many levels; what I contend is that by not making the HS child make that choice between one or the other is teaching them rather fuzzy ethics in which they can do what they want when they want at 'their' convenience.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

I know it would be very easy for a band director to have a few kids in corps who came back, were bored with how easy everything was, had bad attitudes (maybe quit), and just put the kabbash on the whole 'drum corps' issue. I understand; but I honestly feel this is a case of a few rotten apples spoiling the bunch.

It happened with the band I work with before my time, in the 80's...the corps kids came back and caused such dissension it tore the band apart. The director cleaned house and pretty much started his MB program over, and they were a championship band at that time in the circuit they belonged to.

After that he never suggested that his band members audition for a corps while in HS.

One issue to me is not whether or not a corps members can easily pick up the drill if he/she misses camp.

In this day and age of equal treatment for everyone, what about the kid who wants to miss camp for some other experience, like Space Camp, a Model UN camp or any other activity their parents deem to be important. If the director is viewed as 'playing favorites' for drum corps, that might cause some unwanted problems with the school administration.

• Like 1

Personally, the guy having to leave Cavaliers for a while to go to a freakin' college band camp is ridiculous.

Why? The college is in effect paying for his presence with a scholarship. Don't they deserve to have him live up to his end of the deal?

• Like 2

1) I agree that the tenor player should have lost his scholarship if he missed his band camp; good for the school and good for the band director.

2) I never indicated that both 'cannot' be done but that a choice should certainly be placed upon the HS child of one over the other due to the conflicts and the disrespect is shows to the other HS band kids on many levels; what I contend is that by not making the HS child make that choice between one or the other is teaching them rather fuzzy ethics in which they can do what they want when they want at 'their' convenience.

1. I would say, good for the Cavaliers for having the best interests of the member at heart. They very well could have been hardcore about it and not allowed him to return to tour. I think the school could have made allowances to the member's ability to get his scholarship.

For example, my son gets money from his University for marching. There was no mention of him not getting the money for missing most of band camp.

Why? The college is in effect paying for his presence with a scholarship. Don't they deserve to have him live up to his end of the deal?

It just stinks to me of university people not having any clue why this one tenor player would not come in, and therefore forcing him to leave tour.

My school is pretty lenient with these sort of things, especially when it's music related in the first place.

It just stinks to me of university people not having any clue why this one tenor player would not come in, and therefore forcing him to leave tour.

My school is pretty lenient with these sort of things, especially when it's music related in the first place.

It is great if the school chooses to be flexible as yours is, but if not, I have no problem with them requiring his presence at camp. They appear to be more rigid, but is is their program and scholarship dollars.

Personally, the guy having to leave Cavaliers for a while to go to a freakin' college band camp is ridiculous. thumbdown.gif

Have you paid for college recently? WITH a half-ride, still looking at $20k at a top tier but not near Ivy calibre state school. Unless he intends a career performing with a military drum and bugle corps or teaching/directing, good choice. The scholarship makes him the contractual property of the college band.

On the subject of HS corps people having to choose whether to do corps or band camp-

What do you think you would do?

Personally, the guy having to leave Cavaliers for a while to go to a freakin' college band camp is ridiculous. thumbdown.gif

... I think the school could have made allowances to the member's ability to get his scholarship.

For example, my son gets money from his University for marching. There was no mention of him not getting the money for missing most of band camp.

Thank you two for proving my point that we are developing youth who feel entitled to get all they want, when they want, at 'their' convenience. And by the way, scholarships should certainly have strict responsibilities and restrictions tied to them; while they are earned through playing or academic talent they are not 'free' money entitlements!! The kid could have chosen to pay for school instead of corps and the scholarship could have gone to another person, so attaching requirements to that scholarship is flat correct!! And the university having no clue, are you kidding me!! That is like saying a band director's school which employees him/her has no clue so the band director should be allowed to miss band camp to instruct corps!! Good grief people, no wonder our country is developing more and more "it is all about me self-centered youth who feel entitled to do everything, have everything, without any consequences".

• Like 4