Can they do THAT in DCI?

I still remember when Cadets guard all missed catching a flag toss, intentionally. I remember the era of Cavaliers' primitive drums. I remember the night I stood, jaw agape, when Vanguard made their entire corps disappear at the end of their Phantom of the Opera show.

Sometimes the things we really remember are truly excellent musicmanship, ruthlessly clean drill, painstaking detailing of a show. But sometimes the things we remember are something else - more than stunts. Call them ingenuities, novelties, inspirations. Creatively playing with the rules. Showing the audience something new.

But I admit, I have no knowledge of the actual rules of DCI competition. So, I brainstormed a bunch of these kinds of things, and I'm asking the question - which of these are legitimate in competition? I'll leave it to the rest of you to imagine a show where each of these might fit, artistically or otherwise.

1.) Alphorns? Or gigantic, excessively large Suess-like horns? Or one humungous drum?

2.) Shofars? Ram's horns?

3.) Can battery and brass use flags or equipment? How about the pit? Could a whole corps flash flags all at once?

4.) Building pyramids out of guard members, launching jumps etc as in cheerleading? Springboards as per gymnastics? Teeter-totter-aided jumps as in circuses?

5.) Wheels - unicycles, bicycles? Inline roller skates? Skateboards? Guard members in giant hamster-balls (like Peter Gabriel)?

6.) Spring-loaded launching of streamers (maybe attached to the instruments?) Flags or streamers flung from catapults or atlatl?

7.) Can brass players put down their bugles and beat on something - an MPE* (Massive Percussion Event)?

8.) To what degree can the audience participate? Like, SCV yell - could there be a call-and-response with the audience? Could you get the audience to scat with you?

9.) Put the director/conductor in the middle of the field, as Mickey in 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice'?

10.) Musical robots? Is, for instance, a metronome a crude kind of musical robot or mechanism? Could you just set loose a hundred slightly mismatched metronomes on the field? How about flag droids?

11.) Stilts? (I think Cavaliers did this once?)

12.) Large puppets as in street protests? Big Chinese dragons as in Chinese New Years'?

13.) Tumbling? Trampolines?

14.) Could the Phantomettes, say, just pick up soprano bugles and blow some awesome lick? How cool would that be!

15.) After PR's Turandot, it has to be asked - how many people are allowed on the conductor's stand (at once)? Can you play an instrument(s) from there?

16.) Illuminated or otherwise wired uniforms? Uniforms that flash or light up? Instruments that strobe to the beat?

17.) In-ear electronics that could deliver a 'click track' directly to the performers?

18.) Is it even required to have a conductor on the field?

19.) What are the limits of personnel per type of instrument? Could you field thirty contras, say, for one segment of a show? Forty?

20.) Helium balloons? Radio-controlled balloons with motors? (OK, this is crazy I admit.) Gigantic, inflatable props to tell a story (Carnival of the Animals)?

21.) Lasers and mirrors. Reflective equipment and uniforms. Mirrorballs. Mirrorshades. Q-beams and a crystal chandelier.

22.) Stage magic - ladies sawn in half, levitating the conductor, drill with interlocking rings, making the battery disappear? Locking the conductor in a trunk a la Houdini?

23.) Styrofoam gliders or paper airplanes?

Things I'm pretty sure aren't allowed, or shouldn't be - flash powder, fireworks, paints, confetti, water, smoke-making equipment, video and projection equipment, live animals of any kind. Shooting anything (tour shirts, confetti, water) at the audience. Filming the audience. Trapping or chasing the judges.

I don't know all the rules, but it used to be that a corps had to be marching for a minimum amount of time, but that might have gone out with the tic system which encouraged corps to not be creative with marching. And it used to be that there was an amount of time the corps had to face the audience. I don't know how much of that is 20th century thinking and how much is modern.

I have seen someone use water on the field before, I can not remember who or when. 3) yes, battery and brass do and have used flags before. and some of them even dance :)

A lot of this has happened, some of it this season, even:

Or one humungous drum?

BDB had two enormous taiko drums this year.

Can battery and brass use flags or equipment?

Sure. See Cadets 2011 or Cavaliers 2010.

...launching jumps etc as in cheerleading?

SCV 2010. Crown this year.

Wheels - unicycles, bicycles?

Blue Stars 2008. VK with the Pee Wee Herman character.

To what degree can the audience participate? Like, SCV yell - could there be a call-and-response with the audience?

That's along the lines of Jersey Surf did this year with the banana sticks.

Put the director/conductor in the middle of the field, as Mickey in 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice'?

Anywhere you like.

Stilts? (I think Cavaliers did this once?)

Last year, in fact.

Large puppets as in street protests? Big Chinese dragons as in Chinese New Years'?

How about a giant shark?

Tumbling?

Most guards do some of this.

Could the Phantomettes, say, just pick up soprano bugles and blow some awesome lick?

Guard members have definitely played instruments.

After PR's "Turandot", it has to be asked - how many people are allowed on the conductor's stand (at once)?

Two is pretty common. After PR's "Spartacus", we know that one of them can even play dead. Bluecoats had three in 2009.

Can you play an instrument(s) from there?

Didn't Surf do that this year?

Uniforms that flash or light up? Instruments that strobe to the beat?

I think I've seen this.

What are the limits of personnel per type of instrument? Could you field thirty contras, say, for one segment of a show?

None. Yes.

Helium balloons?

Blue Devils 1988.

Gigantic, inflatable props

I'm thinking VK or Bridgemen have had these.

...and mirrors.

Blue Devils 2010.

Stage magic ... levitating the conductor ... making the battery disappear?

Santa Clara multiple times in the 1980s.

Locking the conductor in a trunk a la Houdini?

Blue Stars 2010.

I think almost every one of the items you mention, either directly or similarly, has been done in WGI. Some even in DCI: 2010 BD - mirrors (which helped get a perfect guard score each night at Indy even with major rifle drops), 2011 Caviliers - stilts, come to mind. WGI; Rhythym X had like 20+ snares that were all played, Centerville Drumline had 8 trampolines for "Bounce" show. Confetti, reams of paper as "letters", all done. BOA, musicians switching with Guard, 2011 Broken Arrow had 20 + bicycles pedaling around the field (wizard of oz), real didgeridoos (aboriginal)being played. Centerville Drumline had LED light-panels (sound sensitive/actualted) on their uniforms in 2012. Several WGI shows have interacted with audience in various ways, police sirens AND flashing/rotating lights, balloons that floated away, etc.

Sure not DCI, but it has been done in most cases. Usually not very well, sometimes contrived...sometimes, once in awhile...done well.

It seems like all of these music groups are becoming more about the designers (adults) rather than the musicians. Just saying...

It seems like all of these music groups are becoming more about the designers (adults) rather than the musicians. Just saying...

A lot of these elements have been used in shows going back to the 1980s.

In addition to other responses...

1.) Alphorns? Or gigantic, excessively large Suess-like horns? Or one humungous drum?

Taiko drums were use for years by Mandarins

Alphorns?? Might not meet the "bell front like a trumpet" part of the rule, but it fits the other parts....you planning a "Tribute to Riccola" show?

2.) Shofars? Ram's horns?

I'd swear someone did that in the last couple of years....

3.) Can battery and brass use flags or equipment? How about the pit? Could a whole corps flash flags all at once?

Watch some old Troopers....85 in the drum feature's a good example.

4.) Building pyramids out of guard members, launching jumps etc as in cheerleading? Springboards as per gymnastics? Teeter-totter-aided jumps as in circuses?

Star 87 comes to mind....Cavies 02 with the guard throw.

5.) Wheels - unicycles, bicycles? Inline roller skates? Skateboards? Guard members in giant hamster-balls (like Peter Gabriel)?

Star 87....pretty much all through the show.

6.) Spring-loaded launching of streamers (maybe attached to the instruments?) Flags or streamers flung from catapults or atlatl?

Don't remember that one...might be a safety concern.

7.) Can brass players put down their bugles and beat on something - an MPE* (Massive Percussion Event)?

No problem...the contras in 84-85 BD playes cymbals during the drum solo.

8.) To what degree can the audience participate? Like, SCV yell - could there be a call-and-response with the audience? Could you get the audience to scat with you?

Anyway the corps can get them involved that doesn't present a danger to the performers.

9.) Put the director/conductor in the middle of the field, as Mickey in 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice'?

No restrictions.

10.) Musical robots? Is, for instance, a metronome a crude kind of musical robot or mechanism? Could you just set loose a hundred slightly mismatched metronomes on the field? How about flag droids?

Not touching that one.

Cavies yes....I think Star 87 as well, but not sure.

12.) Large puppets as in street protests? Big Chinese dragons as in Chinese New Years'?

VK 89, Star 87

13.) Tumbling? Trampolines?

Don't give the guard ideas.....but pretty sure these have been done.

14.) Could the Phantomettes, say, just pick up soprano bugles and blow some awesome lick? How cool would that be!

Bluecoats 88....end of show

15.) After PR's Turandot, it has to be asked - how many people are allowed on the conductor's stand (at once)? Can you play an instrument(s) from there?

No restrictions there I can think of.

16.) Illuminated or otherwise wired uniforms? Uniforms that flash or light up? Instruments that strobe to the beat?

82 Spirit....flashbulbs in time with the drum solo.

17.) In-ear electronics that could deliver a 'click track' directly to the performers?

THAT might be questionable....it'd be more useful to the DM, however...kinda wish I'd had one in 04 SoCal Dream. You run into the issue of tempo changes that might be controlled by the staff, however.

Nope....Revoluion won Div III a few years back with no DM (got sick or injured, as I recall)

19.) What are the limits of personnel per type of instrument? Could you field thirty contras, say, for one segment of a show? Forty?

Star 86...bunch of euphs picked up contras for the "Close Encounters" section, and people have switched horns for years....check out Mario from 84 Freelancers...a horn in his hand and one hanging off each hip.

20.) Helium balloons? Radio-controlled balloons with motors? (OK, this is crazy I admit.) Gigantic, inflatable props to tell a story (Carnival of the Animals)?

Balloon releases have been done. 83 Sky Ryders, 84 Suncoast Sound, 86 Sky Ryders, etc. Blow up props?? Get ye to 92 VK.

21.) Lasers and mirrors. Reflective equipment and uniforms. Mirrorballs. Mirrorshades. Q-beams and a crystal chandelier.

Probably nor....safety concerns with the lasers.

22.) Stage magic - ladies sawn in half, levitating the conductor, drill with interlocking rings, making the battery disappear? Locking the conductor in a trunk a la Houdini?

Magic 94 to a certain degree...85-89 SCV

23.) Styrofoam gliders or paper airplanes?

There was a frisbee chucked across the field one year....caught by a tenor...on the run...with his drums on.

Things I'm pretty sure aren't allowed, or shouldn't be - flash powder, fireworks, paints, confetti, water, smoke-making equipment,

Safety and field damage concerns....water, in fact, was specifically banned after Magic's "Pirates" show...made the field slick.

video and projection equipment,

Ineffective at best anyway

live animals of any kind.

Those ARE allowed....they're called the battery!!

Shooting anything (tour shirts, confetti, water) at the audience.

I'd have safety concerns...THROWING something light into the stands by hand is not a problem in some cases (04 SoCal Dream, anyone!)

Filming the audience.

97 Madison during the looooooooooong chord near the end...still photos of the crowd taken from the podium....they did it years ago as well.

Trapping or chasing the judges.

Oh hell....some corps made a game of that *cough cough Bridgemen cough*

Edited by 84BDsop

Bluecoats had guard members who played sop on the last few notes of the show, maybe in '88? They carried them on little racks, and the sound the guard members added the last chord was let's just say, less than impressive.

• Like 1

Cavies 2009: the Great Divide

Blue Stars 2009: The Factory, Cadets 2011: Between Angels and Demons

Cavies 2002: Frameworks

5.) Wheels - unicycles, bicycles?

Blue Stars 2008: Le Tour

6.) Spring-loaded launching of streamers

Cavies 2008: Samurai

Blue Devils B 2012: Water... Something. Can't remember

Phantom Regiment 2008: Spartacus

Pretty much all corps in the 1970's and before

Cavies 2011: XtraordinarY

13.) Tumbling?

Most guard have a least a bit of this every year.

They did. Phantom Refiment 2010: Into the Light

Yes: Blue Stars 1978. Opening line was a thumb roll on tambourine and Soprano solo on the podium.

16.) Illuminated or otherwise wired uniforms?

Being discussed now on these forums

Nope

Yep.

20.) Helium balloons?

Glassmen 2008: Karneval

21.) Reflective equipment and uniforms

Star of Indiana 1991, Cadets 2011, TONS of uniforms every year

Like Blue Stars 2010: HOUDINI ? :tongue:

Things I'm pretty sure aren't allowed, or shouldn't be - flash powder, fireworks, paints, confetti, water, smoke-making equipment, video and projection equipment, live animals of any kind. Shooting anything (tour shirts, confetti, water) at the audience. Filming the audience. Trapping or chasing the judges.

If they get caught... It's their own fault :thumbup:

I'm sure you knew some of these, if not all. But a lot of this stuff has been done.