Can they do THAT in DCI?

In regards to water it was, in fact, outlawed after Magic's show but I believe the rule was modified the year after to allow for it to be used as long as it's not spilled on the field. There are some cool percussion effects you can do with water. One time I can remember it being used on the field is the water chime in SCV 2003 (the chime hit at the beginning of One Man Show where the pitch bends down). I'm pretty sure the new rule allows you to still do this as long as it doesn't become a danger to performers on the field.

Tan Dun has used water to great effect...here is one bit...

He made extensive use of water percussion in his opera "Tea, a Mirror of Soul".

I may be losing my memory, didn't Phantom use an actual cannon (a small one) during 1812 for a few early shows? That was also the year they popped out 18 snares for the finale.

Didn't they also march some larger drums, (not timps, but pretty close) for the finale of Symphonie Fantastique in '85?

I don’t think they used a real cannon – they did have a fake one, it looked like a cannon, they filled it with C02 and put a stopper on it to pop, coated in baby powder for smoke effect

I recall some WGI show they did that ended with a crossbow into a giant apple shot over the guards head – that was banned pretty quickly into the season

I don't think they used a real cannon – they did have a fake one, it looked like a cannon, they filled it with C02 and put a stopper on it to pop, coated in baby powder for smoke effect

I recall some WGI show they did that ended with a crossbow into a giant apple shot over the guards head – that was banned pretty quickly into the season

That must have been what I saw.

Maybe a corps might want to use an actual can of worms in their show. :smile:

684_467.jpg

No doubt about it, the first people to quit such a Corps for tour would be the Kitchen Crew.

Can you play an instrument(s) from [the podium]?

Didn't Surf do that this year?

It was synched to a MIDI recording from the pit, which is why they were able to use a pBone later on. They tried actually playing it with a trumpet but were threatened with a penalty, so the answer is no playing on the podium is not allowed. Yet.