You Make The Call

So that's clear then: Play lots of vintage Madison, and whatever you do, don't play any vintage Madison.

How about this: Madison is a crowd pleasing corps, so play Madison style music, but nothing you've done before. If that means a combination of uplifting Spanish and big band/broadway showtunes, all with 'big melodies' that are hummable (or however you define the style), then find new music of that type. Show that the Madison style can always be fresh.

As an example, you could do Begin the Beguine, which I can't find has ever been played by a top 12 corps according to corpsreps (although it gave errors when I searched it). The closest I found was Dutch Boy, which came in 13th with it in 89. Thus, never played at finals. That would have the fans out of their minds if played at a top 12 level. Just an example.

Here it is for those who don't know it.

Not sure what big jazzy Spanish music is still undiscovered by drum corps, but you know there must be a bunch. And you're just the guys to find it.

The cliche thing would be to play your vintage stuff, but Madison does have a reputation for doing that already, so this way you surprise everybody while still knocking 'em dead. I mean, whatever you play becomes an instant Madison classic, right? So, just do more of that.

Edit to add youtube link and minor changes

Edited by Pete Freedman
  • Like 2

I would prefer 2 or 3 fully developed pieces rather than a bunch

of snippets.

Yup....this slice and dice...eh...not to good. A couple of great fully developed pieces is the way to go...

And most importantly....leave the electric keyboard/synth in Madison....way overused and obtrusive the last three seasons....

• Like 1

So that's clear then: Play lots of vintage Madison, and whatever you do, don't play any vintage Madison.

How about this: Madison is a crowd pleasing corps, so play Madison style music, but nothing you've done before. If that means a combination of uplifting Spanish and big band/broadway showtunes, all with 'big melodies' that are hummable (or however you define the style), then find new music of that type. Show that the Madison style can always be fresh.

As an example, you could do Begin the Beguine, which I can't find has ever been played by a top 12 corps according to corpsreps (although it gave errors when I searched it). The closest I found was Dutch Boy, which came in 13th with it in 89. Thus, never played at finals. That would have the fans out of their minds if played at a top 12 level. Just an example.

Here it is for those who don't know it.

Not sure what big jazzy Spanish music is still undiscovered by drum corps, but you know there must be a bunch. And you're just the guys to find it.

The cliche thing would be to play your vintage stuff, but Madison does have a reputation for doing that already, so this way you surprise everybody while still knocking 'em dead. I mean, whatever you play becomes an instant Madison classic, right? So, just do more of that.

Edit to add youtube link and minor changes

Hey, nice link! They sure do know how to knock 'em dead, that's for sure. E.S.O.M. had that magic, I am sure they will come up with more. I really like it when they think outside the box for there show material, the more new stuff the better imo.

Would a hooded sweatshirt with a large fleur on the front be asking to much for the coming 75th season?

Or make everyone happy and play a lot of it while simultaneously playing none...the perfect compromise. Just put all the suggestions in a pot and divide by the square root of zero.

How did vintage Madison charts get to be vintage Madison charts? At one point, they were put on the field by the corps for the first time.

At some point, someone thought, "Malagueña? Nah; that's not 'Madison.' Give me "Battle Hymn' and 'Findlandia.' Now that's vintage Madison."

I never get tired of vintage Madison and no corps is better than Madison at knowing when to use old favorites. However, with "Reframed" only a distant memory, it may be too soon to go completely back in time. But if asked, I would love to see some of 1999's "Jesus Christ, Superstar" with some of what I consider one of their all time classic but sometimes forgotten and underrated shows, 1977's "New York, New York" and "West Side Story" with another forgotten great moment from the past "Bohemian Rhapsody" with a closing of "You'll Never Walk Alone" that gives the kind of goose-bumps only Madison can produce. Of course "Maleguena" has to be in there somewhere and everyone seems to love Madison's ESOM which is one of those tunes I can't say I loved in the original version (no offense to Ms. Keyes many admirers) but I loved Madison's rendition, we can add that too.

I truly think that Madison can pick any music and make it 'Vintage Madison'. Doesn't have to be a tune they played before.

Who ever thought that a Pirate show would suit Madison well. It was obviously super successful...and I could kick myself to this day for not buying a show shirt from them in 1997.

My idea for the 75th anniversary would be for every living man to have ever marched with the Madison Scouts to donate $75.00 to the Scouts in 2013. If only 40 members from each year donated that would = 40 x 75 yrs x $75.00 = $225,000.00. I'm sure Chris and Dann wouldn't object to that.

It almost seems like most Madison shows would make a good anniversary show, so the problem is how to top that?

As far as knick-knacks go, I remember in the 80s Phantom had a cloth frisbee thing; it had bee-bees sewn around the edge to give it form when thrown. I had that thing for a long time. It got a fair amount of exposure to non-drum corps people. Then again, so did my corps tee shirts.

Or make everyone happy and play a lot of it while simultaneously playing none...the perfect compromise. Just put all the suggestions in a pot and divide by the square root of zero.

How did vintage Madison charts get to be vintage Madison charts? At one point, they were put on the field by the corps for the first time.

At some point, someone thought, "Malagueña? Nah; that's not 'Madison.' Give me "Battle Hymn' and 'Findlandia.' Now that's vintage Madison."

Spot on! I agree wholeheartedly agree. Although I've enjoyed Madison's shows the last 2 years, it's time to move on and explore new sounds and make 'em Scouts.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1