Funding a Drum Corps

If you were to start a Drum Corps, how would you raise the funds needed to be successful?

If you were to start a Drum Corps, how would you raise the funds needed to be successful?

I'd send Tony Soprano and his friends over to Beijing to borrow 5 million dollars from The People's Bank of China on my behalf. He makes them an offer they can't refuse. Besides, everybody else seems to be borrowing from this bank.

Edited by BRASSO

AMEN to that Mr Boo!!!!

He is VERY MISSED!!

But seriously folks....

This is a question very much on my mind too. We have some alumni to hit up for startup cash, but that's not a major influx of money at this stage. We will probably see more support when they know there is something solid going on and they see kids on the field or in a parade.

Sponsors, governments, service clubs, same thing. Some of they may be willing to take a flyer on your dream of a corps in their fair city, but most want to see you have some success already before jumping in.

Fund raising without kids also has its challenges.

I could mortgage my house but then I'd be giving the money to a divorce lawyer....

So how do you raise the initial capital? I am interested in hearing from people that have done this successfully.

But seriously folks....

This is a question very much on my mind too. We have some alumni to hit up for startup cash, but that's not a major influx of money at this stage. We will probably see more support when they know there is something solid going on and they see kids on the field or in a parade.

Sponsors, governments, service clubs, same thing. Some of they may be willing to take a flyer on your dream of a corps in their fair city, but most want to see you have some success already before jumping in.

Fund raising without kids also has its challenges.

I could mortgage my house but then I'd be giving the money to a divorce lawyer....

So how do you raise the initial capital? I am interested in hearing from people that have done this successfully.

ive been on some boards but to start up a corps nowadays is soooo rough in so many ways. Maybe in CAnada where you are might be a little different with community involvement but i can tell you here Ive done winter programs that as they grew spent more than 40 or 50 grand a winter season. rehearsal facilities alone can be sooo expensive, noone gives their places away anylonger, drum quipment alone can be a fortune unless you have contacts or can borrow..I dont want to discourage you by no means but you are right, the steps and how you approach someone when fundraising is hard, especially with no members at the moment. I am on 2 non profit boards and in fundraising the 1st thing a potential business asks is " whats in it for me " and you cant say " well the kids " or " its a good thing" someone who donates can give you 10 other charities just as much if not more worthy.

Alot of start up cost besides personal donations with small groups are also member dues but it doesnt sound like you may be into charging at least 1500 for a small start up group ,,,,which by the way many independent winter guards charge.

lol....ok so I told you some hard ships but I guess didnt suggest HOW...hmmmmm I would say maybe get some support from other musical venues ..a band director can help alot with some issues..recruit some kids and funreaise even if small like BITD to at least cover some costs that theres no getting away from....it was so much easier bitd compared to now...and it was hard then also

get people involved with lots of resource and contacts in the activity and those outside the activity. You will have a slightly better chance with those involved especially with the basics but as far as money biggest flw on failing drum corps in any decade is ruling with the heart and not the head

Edited by GUARDLING

Start small and manageable. The lessons you learn while running a small $40-50k a year non-profit organization will serve you well if you ever get to the point of being a $500k a year organization. Be creative. Provide a unique service in the community. Be better at what you do than any alternatives in the vicinity.

Don't worry about competing with BD or Cavaliers in any way shape or form, ever. Focus on coming up with a unique identity and purpose that makes your organization unlike anything else that a potential funder could support. If you wind up with an Open Class or WC corps eventually, ok, fine. More people saw Blast! than saw any DCI Finals live and in the fleshm so what does that say about how important a competitive drum corps can be? If you do it right, everyone else who does drum corps will come to YOUR way of doing things eventually. So out-think them. If you can't, then find something else you'd rather do and do that.

Drum corps does a lot of things very well. Truly being creative with the tools at their hands is not one of them. There is room for the new on that front.

In the end, the on-field drum corps aspects of this activity are the least important elements of it. The behind the scenes activities are the ones that really matter. Think better. THAT's the only competition that really matters.

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 1