DCA I&E Mini Corps judging

When Erie scored 105, everyone cracked up, congratulated their fellow corps members and "competitors" for turning the place on, raised their glasses and partied til about 3. There was a time - not too long ago - when the winners were announced to a near empty hall as 2,500 people had gotten up and left after the last performance. They were out of their chairs to begin with (standing o), so they took the next logical step...to the party. Even the performers left the building. You'd hear them an hour later with a beer in their hand asking, "how'd we do, anyway?"

Who we doing this for anyway? Was it more fun when it didnt matter so much?

Its a gift that DCA figured this Mini Corps thing out in the first place. There is NO OTHER PLACE IN ALL OF DRUM CORPS that 18 horn outfits can get top billing, a "must see" mystique, draw a huge audience and have them throwing babies at the end. NOWHERE.

Comparing where we were to where we are.....looking at this thread...did the pendulum swing a little far? where's the fun? and where's the focus? look how seriously we are taking ourselves....show design deficiencies compared to the other corps? Really?

It's I&E. All the groups and individuals....snare, ensemble, flag, chorus get one thing when they leave...a sheet...with about three comments on it and a score. Mini corps are a shade bigger than the brass ensembles (who get one of those sheets, 3 comments and a score). And everyone's having a ball. Maybe less is more.

It might be time to have the winner of Mini Corps by applause meter and chuck the sheets (and tapes) altogether.

Come to think of it, that might work. (and it would STILL be a contest :tongue: )

Stay tuned.

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 2

The fact that we are not gaining members and actually losing corps needs to be looked at closely.

If mini-corps are not performing because they have issues with the judging, then they are doing it wrong, and good riddance.

However, I don't think it's unreasonable to review the sheets and the criteria being used, and more importantly, the training in said criteria. I do think adding tapes is an idea, but not necessarily a good one. Why not be a bit different from the field corps, and allow the judge to take in and enjoy the performances without having to blab for ten minutes?

What I'd suggest is a short critique after the show. That way minis would have access to the commentary they want without bloating the whole system. Frankly, when it comes to mini-corps, the fewer rules and regulations, the better. Other than performance time, performing member limits and stage size, I would not have any other rules. Not one rule on instrumentation or electronics (use whatever you want).

Judge the whole darned thing on GE Music only.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 4

well, did the mini corps offer to pay for this technology to be used?

DCA lets the mini corps perform there. You aren't DCA members. Be glad they give you the opportunity to play

NO, the present field of mini's are not DCA members. THEY ALL STOPPED DOING IT! Maybe they couldn't figure out what the judges wanted either! DCA likes the mini's as it gives people another reason to attend finals weekend.

In case you don't know, the mini's pay an entrance fee to perform, just as other I&E performers do. I believe that they also have to pay ascap (I think I got it right?!) for the rights to perform the music. Add to this what they pay the arranger and it adds up!

The LEAST the judges could do is to provide some feedback.

• Like 2

If mini-corps are not performing because they have issues with the judging, then they are doing it wrong, and good riddance.

However, I don't think it's unreasonable to review the sheets and the criteria being used, and more importantly, the training in said criteria. I do think adding tapes is an idea, but not necessarily a good one. Why not be a bit different from the field corps, and allow the judge to take in and enjoy the performances without having to blab for ten minutes?

What I'd suggest is a short critique after the show. That way minis would have access to the commentary they want without bloating the whole system. Frankly, when it comes to mini-corps, the fewer rules and regulations, the better. Other than performance time, performing member limits and stage size, I would not have any other rules. Not one rule on instrumentation or electronics (use whatever you want).

Judge the whole darned thing on GE Music only.

It is judged on the DCA GE Music sheet. It may have turned a little more toward intellectual effectiveness more then emotional effectiveness though, IMO.

It is worth a look at only because we dont have as many corps. And it is the ONLY competiton we have so I understand these frustrations. It has lost some of its pizzaz perhaps in that regard.

Donny

• Like 1

well, did the mini corps offer to pay for this technology to be used?

DCA lets the mini corps perform there. You aren't DCA members. Be glad they give you the opportunity to play

As a point of fact, yes we did offer to pay for tapes several years ago in order to resolve this issue.

The whole "DCA lets the mini corps perform there" is a cheap cop-out.

There is an obvious and beneficial symbiosis between DCA and Mini Corps in which the venue gives participants a chance to perform in front of a crowd, while DCA benefits by providing an attraction for fans on the Friday night before prelims. By the way, the local Chamber of Commerce also benefits by having extra people in town spending money that might not otherwise be there that early in the week (Mini Corps typically arrive on Thursday).

No one on here is suggesting that the manner in which the Mini Corps show was run was anything less than exemplary. 2012 was in fact the most enjoyable time that I've had at the event going back to my first year in 2006. The coordination, venue, and community were all first class, and I absolutely love Annapolis and it's friendly people.

Donny was 100% correct in that this was the wrong forum to discuss this topic, as there are too many people that can't wait to give an opinion - whether it is informed or not.

Paul

• Like 2

NO, the present field of mini's are not DCA members. THEY ALL STOPPED DOING IT! Maybe they couldn't figure out what the judges wanted either! DCA likes the mini's as it gives people another reason to attend finals weekend.

In case you don't know, the mini's pay an entrance fee to perform, just as other I&E performers do. I believe that they also have to pay ascap (I think I got it right?!) for the rights to perform the music. Add to this what they pay the arranger and it adds up!

The LEAST the judges could do is to provide some feedback.

as you state (as well as others above),..........minis are required to provide all insurance, music rights, etc, just like the competing and alumni corps on the field,..........for reasons that allow DCA to record and produce audio and video recordings as part of the offerings,...........which is unlike all other I&E compeditors,........with no royalties or even disclosure on the sales (no that there would be much, if anything) the mini corps basically agree to sign their rights away to others.......for that reason alone mini corps should be given a more attension in terms of adjudication,...........sour grapes? I don't see it that way,......more like black sheep,........

Edited by Gary Matczak

When the trophy was bragging rights, or a beer stein with a strip of masking tape on it with "World Champion" scribbled in sharpie, it seemed to bring out the best in everyone....like one of those backyard Cups you play for on Thanksgiving before everyone sits down together.

(and make bank on this: Donna wouldnt mind if it was a beer stein with masking tape; that would have been the whole point)

• Like 1

That's good information, Gary. Has it always been this way, or was there a little more wiggle on this in the 90's and before all the recording and so forth? And what's the cutoff? Can a brass ensemble play a chart at I&E without sweating the royalty/public performance thing? The "Mini Corps as a property/DCA as a producer" thing is important to the conversation.

as you state (as well as others above),..........minis are required to provide all insurance, music rights, etc, just like the competing and alumni corps on the field,..........for reasons that allow DCA to record and produce audio and video recordings as part of the offerings,...........which is unlike all other I&E compeditors,........with no royalties or even disclosure on the sales (no that there would be much, if anything) the mini corps basically agree to sign their rights away to others.......for that reason alone mini corps should be given a more attension in terms of adjudication,...........sour grapes? I don't see it that way,......more like black sheep,........

That's good information, Gary. Has it always been this way, or was there a little more wiggle on this in the 90's and before all the recording and so forth? And what's the cutoff? Can a brass ensemble play a chart at I&E without sweating the royalty/public performance thing? The "Mini Corps as a property/DCA as a producer" thing is important to the conversation.

brass ensembles are not recorded/distribuuted,...........