Best shows to educate rookie fans

The Carolina Crown of today that fans love so much would not exist without Star

Could you elaborate on this point you've made ? Why would the Carolina Crown Drum Corps " not exist"today without the Star of Indiana Drum Corps ? What is the connection between these 2 Corps ?

Edited by BRASSO

Could you elaborate on this point you've made ? Why would the Carolina Crown Drum Corps " not exist"today without the Star of Indiana Drum Corps ? What is the connection between these 2 Corps ?

Pretty sure if Star stayed active in DCI they would've done the BD formula and kept their staff since they would be one of if not quite possibly the most consistent corps in the activity. The majority of their staff is Star influenced or based. Donny Vandoren taught Star's brass for their time with us and made it one of the if not the best hornlines in DCI. I do believe that if Star stayed in existence which it most certainly could have financially, they would have kept their staff the way it was with a few new faces to take over for the older ones once they decide to retire. Also, that vis staff that left Bluecoats to Crown is mostly Star alumni. Ron Hardin, Kris Considine and Brian Soules are all star alumn. The rest I believe are Bluecoats alumn save for Brian Craft who marched Scouts. Had it not been for Star, Crown would not be the way they are today. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Pretty sure if Star stayed active in DCI they would've done the BD formula and kept their staff since they would Hope that helps.

No. Regrettably, I 'm confused even more now .For example, if you believe that if Star of Indiana would have stayed until today, they would have ( quote )" done the BD formula " how is it that to my eyes and ears, Crown ( thankfully, from my perspective ) has no formula at all that is anything remotely like the " BD formula " the last few years ? I don't see or hear anything from Crown,BD, Star of Indiana that makes the 3 much alike in terms of vibe. They all seem quite different to me. What am I missing ? Staff move between Corps all the time, and sometimes change their style according to what is required with the new Corps too. ( Mason, Blast, then Madison, etc )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

best shows to educate? ALL THAT ARE DONE WELL!!!!!! and not our personal taste.....obviously...much to many here's opinion...BD has several programs NOT hurting for members...so kids must like what they do...as well as cavies this year....not in top 5 or not. SO I say show it all because you dont know where an indivuals taste will be

No. Regrettably, I 'm confused even more now .For example, if you believe that if Star of Indiana would have stayed until today, they would have ( quote )" done the BD formula " how is it that to my eyes and ears, Crown ( thankfully, from my perspective ) has no formula at all that is anything remotely like the " BD formula " the last few years ? I don't see or hear anything from Crown,BD, Star of Indiana that makes the 3 much alike in terms of vibe. They all seem quite different to me. What am I missing ? Staff move between Corps all the time, and sometimes change their style according to what is required with the new Corps too. ( Mason, Blast, then Madison, etc )

I think continuity of staff is the formula being referred to. Granted, staff do move between corps; however, BD and others (like The Cadets) have and have had a certain continuity of staff in the major roles of the design team over many years. This is pure speculation, but I don't think it is unreasonable to think that Star of Indiana would have done something similar in terms of staff continuity had they remained in the activity. And where would that leave Crown? Who knows. Watch '93 Star. Then watch Crown from 2008 - 2012 and tell me you don't see any similarities at all. Even as far back as 2003 Carolina Crown begins to look very different from the Crown of 2002 and before.

Pretty sure if Star stayed active in DCI they would've done the BD formula and kept their staff since they would be one of if not quite possibly the most consistent corps in the activity. The majority of their staff is Star influenced or based. Donny Vandoren taught Star's brass for their time with us and made it one of the if not the best hornlines in DCI. I do believe that if Star stayed in existence which it most certainly could have financially, they would have kept their staff the way it was with a few new faces to take over for the older ones once they decide to retire. Also, that vis staff that left Bluecoats to Crown is mostly Star alumni. Ron Hardin, Kris Considine and Brian Soules are all star alumn. The rest I believe are Bluecoats alumn save for Brian Craft who marched Scouts. Had it not been for Star, Crown would not be the way they are today. Hope that helps.

Kind of ignores completely how the entire Star staff was assembled in the first place

I would base which corps to introduce a novice to by trying to make it a corps whose style might match some of their other interest. If they were interested in modern art I would show them Star 93 or BD 2012.... if they had a great sense of humor maybe Bridgemen or Vk. If they had no specific interest I would show Madison 95 which is a show that can appeal to just about anyone because of the sheer power and energy of the performance.

Edited by bluesman
  • Like 2

Watch '93 Star. Then watch Crown from 2008 - 2012 and tell me you don't see any similarities at all.

I don't see much.. if any... similarities between Star of '93 and Carolina Crown of ( say ) 2011. " Rach Star " seems totally unlike Star of '93.

Star of Indiana 1993 : " Music of Barber & Bartok" ( " Parados " from Medea, "Kantikos Agonias", from Medea, " Allegro", and " Dance of the Vengeance ")

Carolina Crown 2011 : " Rach Star " ( " We Will Rock You, Queen, " Paint it Black", Mick Jaggar, "Bohemian Rhapsody ", Queen )

Star changed uniforms often. Approaches to shows changed often as well. Their themes of '91,'92, were not like '93, and there is no indication that had they stayed in DCI that would would not have changed up uniforms, themes, approaches again and again in the following years. Crown has changed uniforms too, as well as themes. But other Corps change up uniforms, uniform colors, themes as well too. When I watch 2012 Crown I don't see and hear the 1989 Star, nor do I see Star of '91 in Carolina Crown of ( say ) 2008. The drill of Zingali doesn't look anything at all to me like the drill of Crown the last couple of years. The Guard uniforms between Crown of 2012 and that of Star of '91'92,'93, etc have nothing in common to my eyes... nor does the Guard routines performed in the show either. The percussion line of Star in 1993 was on different drums and the sound is very different to my ears than this years 2012 Crown Percussion line. I could go on, but I think the Star of Indiana and Carolina Crown are 2 wonderful and unique Corps that have set out their own identities.. and as such, I don't see much similarities at all between these 2 fine Corps. ( besides, why would a current Corps want to be so similar to a Corps from 20 years ago anyway ? ) But thats just me. If you see '93 Star " Barber & Bartok" show, theme, drill, guard, music, etc in ( for example ) Carolina Crown's 2011 " Rach Star " music, theme, drill, guard, etc then thats cool too.

Edited by BRASSO