DCA Annapolis Ticket Prices

and I'll ask again, what about a parade will draw fans to the show?

Given most corps program patriotic or fun tunes for the parade, what people will see on the field is an entirely different beast...and may actually hurt future business because shows programmed for the field are less than patriotic and in many cases "fun". If you don't believe me, see the numerous posts #####ing about show design, programming etc.

and I'll ask again, what about a parade will draw fans to the show?

Given most corps program patriotic or fun tunes for the parade, what people will see on the field is an entirely different beast...and may actually hurt future business because shows programmed for the field are less than patriotic and in many cases "fun". If you don't believe me, see the numerous posts #####ing about show design, programming etc.

I was thinking other way.... Someone not knowing any better catches the "less complex" music played at parades and thinks "I ain't going to spend ... of money to watch THAT!".

Thought that hit me... what goes on in downtown Annapolis Friday night of Labor Day Weekend? Definitely more of a "Shore Thing" place than Rochester.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

I was thinking other way.... Someone not knowing any better catches the "less complex" music played at parades and thinks "I ain't going to spend ... of money to watch THAT!".

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. If the aforementioned parade doesn't have competing DCA corps in it, there is no draw. And let's be honest, no competing corps is going to want to do a parade that weekend. As Jeff asked, "What's the draw?" about a parade. Even the parade DCI has run on finals day the last two years was more of an extra, and not designed to bring in fans who otherwise might not go.

And as much fun as alumni corps is for the performers and small but enthusiastic crowd that follows them is, it's not even close to what the competing corps put out. Alumni and mini corps are a nice diversion on DCA weekend. Neither are a major focus or draw, and likely never will be. If anything, alumni corps is going to experience a severe decline in popularity over the next few years. Minis, on the other hand, don't have the problems alumni corps face.

• Like 2

And as much fun as alumni corps is for the performers and small but enthusiastic crowd that follows them is, it's not even close to what the competing corps put out. Alumni and mini corps are a nice diversion on DCA weekend. Neither are a major focus or draw, and likely never will be. If anything, alumni corps is going to experience a severe decline in popularity over the next few years. Minis, on the other hand, don't have the problems alumni corps face.

Not to mention a decline in membership unless ways are found to draw in people (younger or not) who never did corps. And thinking of our "book" the more complex songs would never be done on a parade route.... Just thinking of trying to hoof out "Old Man River" is making me reach for an oxygen tank..... or my podiatrist... :ph34r:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. If the aforementioned parade doesn't have competing DCA corps in it, there is no draw. And let's be honest, no competing corps is going to want to do a parade that weekend. As Jeff asked, "What's the draw?" about a parade. Even the parade DCI has run on finals day the last two years was more of an extra, and not designed to bring in fans who otherwise might not go.

I hate to burst your bubble, BUT the alumni show IS a major draw for the weekend.

I have friends who come JUST for the alumni show as they are old school and prefer to see/hear the corps the way it WAS. We go to prelims and they join us but do not have a lot of enthusiasm for todays competing corps.

The noticable exception this year was Cadets 2 and Kidsgrove. Everyone liked them!

• Like 1

I hate to burst your bubble, BUT the alumni show IS a major draw for the weekend.

I have friends who come JUST for the alumni show as they are old school and prefer to see/hear the corps the way it WAS. We go to prelims and they join us but do not have a lot of enthusiasm for todays competing corps.

The noticable exception this year was Cadets 2 and Kidsgrove. Everyone liked them!

it is a draw...but that's not going to last without an infusion of new blood both on and off the field

a serious question. a parade is nothing like the real deal. what about a parade would entice people to come to the show?

DCI has also done this to drum up attention for championship week. Query- has it worked there?

Public awareness, even newspaper atricles do have some impact.

The other thing no one has touched on-- and it would take some research and enquiries as to the whole criminal background check issues especially-- if you want DCA to reach out more to the HS Band recruiting fields and create more awareness in the niche audience, more clinic type environs would also do a lot of good. Kenton did it- System Blue is doing it in spades.

DCA is in a perfect position to promote "LIFELONG EDUCATION" and to send a message to the HS kids that if you want to compete after HS and don't have the money for DCI, there IS an option in your future. Right now a lot of that's word of mouth headed out via Staff working with HS programs.

If there would be anything concrete that I think has some chance of really helping in several directions- this has a less obvious splash but could do a lot of good in the long term.

• Like 1

Parade = coverage, announcements in the newspaper, tv cameras, hype for the event, an opportunity to reach out and touch...

Look beyond the first layer of the onion.

What draws more viewers? A 30-second tv spot or a parade? How about TEN 30-second tv spots or a parade?

"Honey, what's that thing on tv?"; "I think its a commercial about some band show." "Oh. I wonder what they paid for that. pass the salt"

People make PLANS to go to a parade...."hey look, honey....there's a parade tomorrow with the drum corps....let's take Mikey and Susie to it....and call the McGillicutty's....see if they want to go, too". Making plans to actually see the drum corps in person is the concept.

And the news crew that does a 90 second story with a few interviews (and airs it for free) is three times the attention for lower cost. Awareness = opportunity.

Parade leads to the Dock....that leads to a big party where we are the host....that leads to an opportunity for us to make an introduction...that leads to conversation and invitation.....that leads to a few of those comps outside the 20's.....that lead to upgrades...that lead to an opportunity to impress with our field product...that lead to satisfied customers.....that lead to repeat customers.

I nominate Vice President Biden to be the Grand Marshall.

PS it would be a real shame to have a conversation with actual drum corps fans in Baltimore/Annapolis/DC after the fact and hear the words "I didnt even know it was here...I would have gone." A FREE parade announcement in the Baltimore Sun would alleviate a bunch of that. Vince didnt miss too many drum corps fans in Rochester96...EVERYONE knew the corps were coming. You'd have had to be on Mars to miss it.

Edited by wishbonecav

DCI has also done this to drum up attention for championship week. Query- has it worked there?

The other thing no one has touched on-- and it would take some research and enquiries as to the whole criminal background check issues especially-- if you want DCA to reach out more to the HS Band recruiting fields and create more awareness in the niche audience, more clinic type environs would also do a lot of good. Kenton did it- System Blue is doing it in spades.

DCA is in a perfect position to promote "LIFELONG EDUCATION" and to send a message to the HS kids that if you want to compete after HS and don't have the money for DCI, there IS an option in your future. Right now a lot of that's word of mouth headed out via Staff working with HS programs.

If there would be anything concrete that I think has some chance of really helping in several directions- this has a less obvious splash but could do a lot of good in the long term.

good one,...........also, I read somewhere here on DCP, where a longtime regular at DCI events was quoted as saying something to the effect of "never hearing of, let alone seeing, a senior compeditive corps", and then followed with nothng but props for MBI and Govies after seeing them perform up in Minnesota,...........now with the coopertive efforts between DCA and DCI on things like ticket sales, etc.,.....I just wonder if DCI is interested in sharing their database for DCA marketting efforts,............?

Getting locals to attend is always an area for growth,..........a more targeted effort would seem to have a higher level of marketing penetration,..........the key is to identify the targets,......

well.....people know it's in town, but unless they find out about the deal they have in place for locals, they aren't paying $125 to get into finals since it's held that day

and yes, DCA creating working relationships with band circuits far and wide wouldbe a good thing.