Cavaliers 2013 Comeback

3rd&10

I don't know about This. " Porky and Bess " was done by Star of Indiana, and Carolina Crown did" Somewhere Over The Rainbow in 2009, and "Battle Hymn of the Republic "by Blue Devils C this year, and so forth. We don't want to overdue the Classics, although Corps shoould be free to play whatever they want to play and let the chips fall where they may.

A new production by PDQ Gershwin?

A new production by PDQ Gershwin?

hahha... " Porgy ".. (typo)

if they could do something new, but with touches of old in there, it'd be a smash hit

The *worst* thing they can do is rehash an old show. Too many corps have withered and died clinging to their glory days and eating off of their own legend.

This does not mean the Cavaliers need to entirely re-invent themselves. They can and should remain solidly grounded in their well-established core identity and tradition of excellence. But clinging to their past reeks of fear for the future. The future is theirs, as long as the Cavalier organization is willing to make the necessary changes it will take to get them back on track. I believe they are doing just that, or certainly attempting to, anyway. We'll soon see how quickly they can right their ship.

Forward 2013.

• Like 3

While revamping old shows work for some corps, I don't think it could work for The Cavaliers. Corps like the Cadets, Madison, and SCV can do this and make a huge success out of it, because we love whenever Madison busts out Malagueña (or any other Latin piece they've played over the years), or when the Cadets do West Side Story or Rocky Point Holiday, or when SCV busts out Phantom of the Opera or Send in the Clowns or the Bottle Dance.

The Cavaliers don't really have that. The Cavaliers are innovation incarnate. Their show designs are constantly looking forward. While "15 Minutes of Fame" wasn't their biggest success, I don't think we can argue that it wasn't very "forward" in its design. I think I remember Michael Cesario saying that "15 Minutes of Fame" wont be the most remembered Cavalier show, but that's because it has so much to compete with (Machine, Frameworks, 007, Mad World, the list goes on).

• Like 1

While revamping old shows work for some corps, I don't think it could work for The Cavaliers. Corps like the Cadets, Madison, and SCV can do this and make a huge success out of it, because we love whenever Madison busts out Malagueña (or any other Latin piece they've played over the years), or when the Cadets do West Side Story or Rocky Point Holiday, or when SCV busts out Phantom of the Opera or Send in the Clowns or the Bottle Dance.

The Cavaliers don't really have that. The Cavaliers are innovation incarnate. Their show designs are constantly looking forward. While "15 Minutes of Fame" wasn't their biggest success, I don't think we can argue that it wasn't very "forward" in its design. I think I remember Michael Cesario saying that "15 Minutes of Fame" wont be the most remembered Cavalier show, but that's because it has so much to compete with (Machine, Frameworks, 007, Mad World, the list goes on).

My opinion is that the Cavaliers could bring back a classic every now and then and it would be fine by me. Planets was an example where it worked well for them. Firebird was an example where it didn't work well for them. Both of those were RE-done around 15 years or so ago, so new people have never seen the Cavaliers perform them live. I'm sure that more people associate SCV with the Planets and the Blue Knights with the Firebird than the Cavaliers. Re-enforcement of identity is fine. When corps "revamp" old shows, what they're really doing is reasserting and updating their identity for the current generation. smile.gif If they design the show well then it's a success. If they don't then the show isn't a success which is the same as it was the first time they chose to perform the show...

Edited by jjeffeory

The Cavaliers don't really have that. The Cavaliers are innovation incarnate. Their show designs are constantly looking forward.

1988 Cavaliers show " Firebird "

1997 Cavaliers show " Firebird "

2007 Cavaliers show " Billy Joel "

How is a tribute to Billy Joel " looking forward " ? Billy Joel hadn't had a top 20 pop hit since around 1988 when Cavs did their " Firebird " show. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Cavs shows most years (2008 "Samurai" was a recent gem, imo ), but they've used the classics and the familiar before with various degrees of success too.

hahha... " Porgy ".. (typo)

if they could do something new, but with touches of old in there, it'd be a smash hit

Really, -1s for these comments, WTH :doh: