This is DCA 2012

DCA posted

just two days ago. Is that what you're looking for?

I am speaking ONLY for myself, but as a member of an Alumni corps, the lack of respect shown by DCA to the Alumni organizations is very disturbing. The Alumni corps work hard all year, put paying butts in the seats and are not even mentioned in the video.

• Like 2

I am speaking ONLY for myself, but as a member of an Alumni corps, the lack of respect shown by DCA to the Alumni organizations is very disturbing. The Alumni corps work hard all year, put paying butts in the seats and are not even mentioned in the video.

Although I am retired from DCA... and obviously this is just MY opinion... I find your statement to be quite disturbing and completely WRONG.... and the money from those paying butts at the alumni spectacular except for a little overhead goes back to the alumni corps... there are only a certain amount of hours in the day for the fledgeling dca media crew and they do a fine job of video work on the Alumni... so they didn't include them in a montage of the competing corps... get over it...

as I've mentioned several times, my first year on the field was 1959... and a bunch of parade years before that... I was very much involved in creating the alumni spectacular... I am OLD and respect the alumni, the history of drum corps and all it represents, but I would have been totally ready to question a competitor's montage that included alumni... perhaps a separate alumni montage will be possible when the media staff has grown and prospered ... but I believe the competitor's montage is just that, the competitor's montage...

• Like 2

Although I am retired from DCA... and obviously this is just MY opinion... I find your statement to be quite disturbing and completely WRONG.... and the money from those paying butts at the alumni spectacular except for a little overhead goes back to the alumni corps... there are only a certain amount of hours in the day for the fledgeling dca media crew and they do a fine job of video work on the Alumni... so they didn't include them in a montage of the competing corps... get over it...

as I've mentioned several times, my first year on the field was 1959... and a bunch of parade years before that... I was very much involved in creating the alumni spectacular... I am OLD and respect the alumni, the history of drum corps and all it represents, but I would have been totally ready to question a competitor's montage that included alumni... perhaps a separate alumni montage will be possible when the media staff has grown and prospered ... but I believe the competitor's montage is just that, the competitor's montage...

Tom,

I have to disagree with at least a couple of parts of your statement.

First.... You indicate that the competitors are the key to the Finals (which I don't disagree with), but DCA sees fit to promote the Alumni Spectacular pretty much at the same level as the prelims and finals. If that show is considered to be an important part of the overall weekend, wouldn't it stand to reason that the alumni should be included in a montage of that weekend?

Secondly... While we've never seen "the books," I wonder just how much money is turned back to the alumni corps from the Alumni Spectacular. What percentage of the income, for example, goes back to the corps?

And last... I believe that the alumni put a substantial number of "butts in the seats" during the prelims and finals because they're already in town for their own show. I'm suggesting that many members of alumni corps go to prelims and/or finals only because they're already there. Just as an example, how many members of the Boston Crusaders Alumni made the trip to Annapolis and went to the prelims and finals, even though they didn't participate in the alumni show this year? The same would apply to the Diplomates, the Defenders, the Brassmen, and others.

Just some thoughts....

• Like 1

By "lack of respect" do you mean that DCA gives the Alumni Corps an opportunity to perform in front of a large, appreciative crowd on the day of DCA Finals. Or the chance to perform at DCA shows throughout the summer. Seems like you may be looking for an issue that just isn't there.

By "lack of respect" do you mean that DCA gives the Alumni Corps an opportunity to perform in front of a large, appreciative crowd on the day of DCA Finals. Or the chance to perform at DCA shows throughout the summer. Seems like you may be looking for an issue that just isn't there.

I won't quibble about DCA "giving the alumni corps an opportunity to perform" the same day as Finals. I will, however, take exception to the second part of your statement - "the chance to perform at DCA shows...".

It has often been stated here on DCP, by both current and former DCA execs, that DCA has no say in the exhibition units hired by contest promoters. A promoter can bring in the Marine Corps D&B Corps, one or more alumni corps, the local high school band, or the local Drill Team and Storm Door Company - DCA has no say in it (or at least that's what we've been told in the past. Moreover, the DCA calendar doesn't even include the exhibition units in its contest listings.

And one minor point, as it stands right now, there are more active alumni corps than there are competing corps in Open Class.

I'm most certainly not trying to look for an issue, but I do believe that the facts have a value.

• Like 2

I know what I'm about to write is going to offend some people, and that is not my intention, but I would like to voice my opinion.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for the alumni segment in DCA. I think they serve an important purpose, have a specific following, and deserve a great amount of respect. That being said, I think there are those in the alumni circuit that are taking their commitment too seriously. The video was a competitors montage. It's not a "Hey, this is DCA" video, or a "Hey, here is what drum corps is" video. The definition of this video is clear. And not for nothing, but QUITE a few corps who competed didn't even make that video. Lets not sit here and go back and forth on these issues. The video was done very well. It captured the emotion and the experience of the weekend and recognized a few groups along the way; some more than others but that's OK.

I appreciate as much as anyone else the work that some Alumni groups put in. But I think some people need to take it down a notch. It drives me bonkers when a regular season show just ends and the first thing we see online is an alumni member asking for an alumni review. You did great... the show was awesome, raw power, blew us away, crowd was on there feet, brought the house down... Do those sound familiar? Because they apply to every alumni performance across the board. I have never read, and likely will never read, a review that writes, "boy you guys could have done better.. I'm worried about the brass line and the battery has some work to do". In the words of Deon Sanders, C'mon Man! Lets be real here. In my opinion, lets show the alumni corps the respect they deserve, but lets not take away from the competing corps either.

Now, back to your regular scheduled riveting conversation.

• Like 1

On a hopefully less-controversial note - Really cool to see Sunrisers getting some love/exposure in the video.

• Like 1