Holes in Finals?

Hey guys. I was watching a couple of Finals videos tonight, and noticed a couple of random holes over the years. Does anyone know if it's really that common of an occurrence? I found a few examples of it, SCV '89 and Bluecoats '09 being two that I saw. Does anyone know of other times where this has happened, for whatever reason? I know there are times where it's an injury, or sickness, or members getting kicked out.

What examples can you guys all think of?

I think Phantom Regiment 95 had a bass drummer missing if I'm not mistaken. They started out with 5 bass drums during that season and then ended up with 4, and I noticed on the video of that year, that bass drum instrument was on the sideline. I wonder why didn't the 5th bass drummer march?

Edited by En929

I think Phantom Regiment 95 had a bass drummer missing if I'm not mistaken. They started out with 5 bass drums during that season and then ended up with 4, and I noticed on the video of that year, that bass drum instrument was on the sideline. I wonder why didn't the 5th bass drummer march?

I'm not sure the corps would welcome a discussion of the personal issues faced by individual corps members, as this thread may be heading. Since it is possible to identify people on videos from earlier in the season on fan network, I would avoid claiming anything that might be personally damaging. I could see lawsuits coming out of this thread if people aren't careful. Just be careful what you say and remember that DCP would have to identify you in the event of a subpoena.

Bloo '09's hole is the piccolo trumpet soloist- he hurt his foot mid season and just played the solo from there on out.

It was fun to watch early season, this little teeny bell marching with mellophones (the largest bell!). He even played all the mello parts when he was with them in the drill.

• Like 2

I was told by a top 12 corps director that the tuba hole was actually the horn sergeant and was not allowed to march because he got busted with drugs.

Pretty sure that's not true.

• Like 1

I think one of the more infamous ones was BD 2000, where there was supposed to be a hole in the bass line at Finals, but the bass player was snuck onto the field by his other drum line members. After they had re-written the drum book and drill.... Probably responsible for their 5th place finish, and possible reason they didn't win.

• Like 2

Bloo '09's hole is the piccolo trumpet soloist- he hurt his foot mid season and just played the solo from there on out.

It was fun to watch early season, this little teeny bell marching with mellophones (the largest bell!). He even played all the mello parts when he was with them in the drill.

To expand on this, he actually marched the ballad and closer on finals night. If you watch the video, Sky Blue and Haitian Fight song have no holes. Arnie was a great guy and really pushed through in the end.

Also, there was a guard hole in Cavaliers 2002 but I don't know what from. And didn't SCV purposely write a hole into their shows for a while in honer of someone that passed? I believe this was in the late 90s

To expand on this, he actually marched the ballad and closer on finals night. If you watch the video, Sky Blue and Haitian Fight song have no holes. Arnie was a great guy and really pushed through in the end.

Also, there was a guard hole in Cavaliers 2002 but I don't know what from. And didn't SCV purposely write a hole into their shows for a while in honer of someone that passed? I believe this was in the late 90s

1999 for SCV. Art Velarte was a bass drummer killed in a car accident following Memorial Day camp. They also spelled out his initial in the last form of the show. They also now have a scholarship or award named after him.

• Like 2

I think one of the more infamous ones was BD 2000, where there was supposed to be a hole in the bass line at Finals, but the bass player was snuck onto the field by his other drum line members. After they had re-written the drum book and drill.... Probably responsible for their 5th place finish, and possible reason they didn't win.

BD took 3rd in 2000. Drums took 6th. The spread between BD and the Cavies/Cadets tie was .75 I'll give that the drum score is what did them in...but all OTHER captions and sub caps were 1st, 2nd, or 3rd...which includes the marching caption.

Given that 2000 wasn't a god year relative to the other captions to begin with, I have a difficult time thinking that the bass drummer by himself cost BD a win.

BD took 3rd in 2000. Drums took 6th. The spread between BD and the Cavies/Cadets tie was .75 I'll give that the drum score is what did them in...but all OTHER captions and sub caps were 1st, 2nd, or 3rd...which includes the marching caption.

Given that 2000 wasn't a god year relative to the other captions to begin with, I have a difficult time thinking that the bass drummer by himself cost BD a win.

Hmmm...I dunno about that.

Everyone knows that if there's a problem that it's either:

A.) The Contras

or

B.) The Bass Drums

;)

• Like 1